Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Exclamation Can't update MacOS paradox
    Hey, everyone. I joined these forums literally to ask for help with this problem. Usually I have too much pride and ego to admit defeat and ask others for help, but I'm truly stumped.

I purchased a 15" Early-2011 Macbook Pro off Craigslist recently, and right now it's running OSX Lion. Apparently, it can't run Mojave, and I think the highest I can get it to is High Sierra. Not sure, honestly, this is for my girlfriend and I'm a windows person. Anyway, I purchased the upgrade to Mountain Lion, got the code in my email, but the problem comes when I try to redeem it.

I've never logged into the App Store on this computer before. It's a completely clean and fresh OS install. When I try to log in, it says that I need to review my account info...
    ukKjPMY.png

But then when I click review, it tells me I need to update to the latest version of MacOS...
    13sn55q.png

But... I'm trying to update MacOS, that's why I need to log in!
    Please help, I have tried what I can think of. I've logged in and set up my payment info on my PC. I don't have another mac to make a bootable drive. I don't have an Apple ID that has been used before on this computer.

I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Can't update MacOS paradox
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    I don't think you "needed" to buy Mountain Lion, see these instructions, How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    I don't think you "needed" to buy Mountain Lion, see these instructions, How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support
    Those instructions you just linked say "You can upgrade to macOS High Sierra from OS X Mountain Lion or later"

What ferrarr means is that you didn't need to BUY Mountain Lion. Mountain Lion is a free download from Apple.

The last macOS where Apple charged anything was macOS 10.6 or SnowLeopard which went for about $20 some odd dollars for the install DVD.

All macOS after that, Lion, Mountain Lion etc. etc. are free - you just download them from the Apple store and install them.

When you posted: "I purchased the upgrade to Mountain Lion, got the code in my email"
    Who did you purchase from?
    What code in the mail? There is no code as far as I know.

I have seen people sell the macOS installers on a USB stick on ebay, which would be one option.
    Or just download it from Apple's website if you have a good internet connection - installers tend to be 4 to 6 GB
    But to get the installer from the Apple you need an Apple ID - not sure how you get that having bought the Mac on Craig's List.

Maybe someone here can pipe up, or just call the closest Apple store.

PS: And this means: "You can upgrade to macOS High Sierra from OS X Mountain Lion or later"
    that you can upgrade from Mountain Lion directly to High Sierra without going through the other macOS versions like 10.9, 10.10, 10.11
    you cannot upgrade directly from Lion to High Sierra, you have to upgrade to Mountain Lion first and then you can take the big jump straight to High Sierra.
    Last edited by krs; 07-12-2019 at 10:43 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    All macOS after that, Lion, Mountain Lion etc. etc. are free - you just download them from the Apple store and install them.
    I'm not sure if that's true. If I'm remembering correctly, I had to pay for Lion and maybe Mountain Lion. It was only after Mountain Lion that Apple began distributing macOS as a free download. And the code he received was likely received from Apple since that's how they distribute the Mountain Lion download. Also he mentioned the App Store in his reply.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    I suppose I have to ask, what state was the computer in when you bought it? That is, did you turn it on and see the Setup Wizard?
    If not the person who sold this device had not followed the simple steps to prepare it for sale or gift to another user.
    Essentially this process is one of disconnecting the device from any services, de-authorizing the device from iTunes and erasing the device in preparation for the next user.
    The Setup Wizard will step the new user through the process of setting preferences like language and time zone and allow you to login to, or create a new Apple ID.
    Having done that you can then download updates, upgrades and new apps to the device either from iTunes or the App Store depending on which macOS you are running.
    If you would like instructions on how to erase and setup as new just ask this forum.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Yeah, I'm with Charlie. ML was about $20US and was the last version with cost.

For the OP, when you first booted the Mac, did it go through the factory welcome and setup from scratch? As I recall, it is during that process that she can set up the AppleID account, give the credit card as required and then see about applying the code. If it didn't go through that process, what did it do?
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OS X.14.6 Mojave,
    I'm with Rod. When one buys a used machine, the first thi g that should happen is the hard drive be erased and a clean operating system installed, whatever it may be and whatever it cost. Then set the computer up as you wish with your Network accvounts, Apple ID etc.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I'm not sure if that's true. If I'm remembering correctly, I had to pay for Lion and maybe Mountain Lion. It was only after Mountain Lion that Apple began distributing macOS as a free download. And the code he received was likely received from Apple since that's how they distribute the Mountain Lion download. Also he mentioned the App Store in his reply.
    Maybe it depends what one starts with.
    I bought a late 2011 MacBook pro that came with 10.7.2 and I'm pretty sure I didn't have to pay for 10.8

Your Mac's Specs
    Yep, 2011 should come with 10.7.2 which may have to be updated to 10.7.5 then;
    "Upgrade to OS X El Capitan first. Then you can upgrade from that to MacOS High Sierra. If you're running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) or Lion (10.7) and your Mac supports macOS High Sierra, you will need to upgrade to El Capitan first.Feb 15, 2018"
    How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Charley is right. Found this article that says the first OSX to be free which was Mavericks.

Apple Just Ended the Era of Paid Operating Systems | WIRED

Your Mac's Specs
    Yep, 2011 should come with 10.7.2 which may have to be updated to 10.7.5 then;
    "Upgrade to OS X El Capitan first. Then you can upgrade from that to MacOS High Sierra. If you're running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) or Lion (10.7) and your Mac supports macOS High Sierra, you will need to upgrade to El Capitan first.Feb 15, 2018"
    How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

Just got off work and, wow, thanks for all the replies guys! Here's the answers to a few questions:

1. It was not a clean install when I got it originally, but I managed to factory reset it and set it up again. Yes, it gave me the option to set up an AppleID on setup, but I chose not to as the computer was a surprise for my girlfriend. If I set up an AppleID, she'd get an email saying one was set up, and spoil the surprise, you know?

2. I bought Mountain Lion directly from Apple, I know it wasn't a scam, I verified the SSL and email signature and whatnot before I went through with it.

Perhaps I should factory reset it again and set it up with my Apple ID this time? Maybe that would work?

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    See this, How to upgrade to macOS Sierra - Apple Support, it should allow you to upgrade to Sierra, right from Lion.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Perhaps I should factory reset it again and set it up with my Apple ID this time? Maybe that would work?
    Yes, and that will get you to where you can get the installer without her knowing. Once you have everything installed and running, you can then re-install it and NOT set it up, so that when she first boots she gets the "Welcome" screens and can set it up with her AppleID.
    Jake

Thread Information