Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    I'm with Rod. When one buys a used machine, the first thi g that should happen is the hard drive be erased and a clean operating system installed, whatever it may be and whatever it cost. Then set the computer up as you wish with your Network accvounts, Apple ID etc.
    I cast my vote for this advice. Wipe the drive clean, and start from scratch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    I'm with Rod. When one buys a used machine, the first thi g that should happen is the hard drive be erased and a clean operating system installed, whatever it may be and whatever it cost. Then set the computer up as you wish with your Network accvounts, Apple ID etc.
    I cast my vote for this advice. Wipe the drive clean, and start from scratch.

Can't update MacOS paradox
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Yeah! +1 to that idea. After all thatís the condition most people get a new computer in.
    Here are those simple steps to preparing a Mac for a new user. You wonít need to bother with the first few steps.
    What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

To me, the easiest way to do such things has been to buy an installer for whatever version of OSX I want on Amazon. Then I wipe the drive clean, and run the installer. And then I have the installer on hand for any future use. You know, like in the good old days before OSX installs were "improved".

I've read about a hundred threads where folks got in to trouble trying to install one version of OSX on top of another. Personally, I prefer to skip that possibility.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Don't bother buying any installer anywhere. Just download it from Apple directly and when it starts, cancel out at the first screen, copy the installer from the Applications folder where it downloads and then use something like DiskmakerX or the manual process to create a bootable USB drive yourself. Easy to do and is the most secure way. Getting the installer from anybody other than Apple is risky because you have zero idea what may have been done to change the OS from what Apple built.

As for installing over a previous version, I've done that lots of times with no issues. I do a clean install maybe every third upgrade, just to clean out the junk that accumulates, but that is a real PITA because I have to re-register all my software and re-set my default settings to what I like. And if you do an upgrade supposedly clean but then restore from a backup, all the junk comes back, or at least most of it does. So that method is kind of pointless, IMHO.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Actually I agree although it's not really necessary to buy one. Not very applicable in this case either but I am a strong supporter of the idea of downloading the next macOS upgrade installer, using either Terminal or DiskmakerX to create a bootable USB thumb drive installer and using that to upgrade from because it gives you this very handy bootable USB drive which can be used to restore or repair your HD in the future, its especially handy if you wish to do a clean instal and restore from say, Time Machine.
    Last edited by Rod; 07-14-2019 at 05:28 AM. Reason: clarity

Your Mac's Specs
    Sorry MacInWin, for some reason your post was not visible when I posted my reply. Nice to see we agree on the matter.
    After the recent software disaster on my MBP I had to do exactly what you referred to.
    I was saved after my CCC clone failed by a High Sierra USB thumb drive installer.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    No problem, Rod. I had read your story about the problem with CCC's backup. I immediately tested that mine booted (it did), so now I can breathe comfortably. I have both TM and CCC backups done nightly.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Jake, after the smoke settled I realised that there was one thing that I hadn't covered in my backup plan and that was the Documents folder. Luckily I was able to drag an drop items from my CCC clone backup despite it being unable to perform a restore. I'm looking at ways I can cover that in the future. Everthing else is either backed up online or easily downloaded from my App Store purchases or third party developers.
    I have not opted for iCloud storage of Documents and Desktop files but now I'm wondering.

Thread Information