Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

[OFF-TOPIC?] Syncing my work (Photoshop and Autocad) on a sucky internet speed - advice?
    Hi.
    I am really stuck on this, hope someone might help me out with advice.

I work on big files mostly. Photoshop (my biggest file is 1GB in size), Autocard, Autodesk.

My data is very important to me as I am a professional who makes a living out of this.

So I can't afford to have lost data.

So I should use Dropbox or Google Drive Sync I assume.

The problem I am having is that my internet connection is bad. We are talking 20MBPS down and about 1-3MBPS UP!

So this made me think that I am at risk of killing the office bandwidth if I will use such a constant-sync program such as Dropbox or Google Drive. This is a correct assumption?

There are 6 of us working on the same internet connection (router), and sometimes more than 6.

Any advice?

Optional info:

What I did was made one of the main computers in the office the "main" computer, and we are syncing work to a folder on it. Kind'a like an internal network. It has a huge HDD and I will pull (copy) a file from it, work on it, finish working on it, and then push (paste) it back to the main computer.

As you can tell, i am far from being knowledgeable.

Would love to hear your advice on this.

Thank you so much!!!

[OFF-TOPIC?] Syncing my work (Photoshop and Autocad) on a sucky internet speed - advice?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by OOOOKDSJAKSDKLA View Post
    Any advice?
    Idea #1:

Why not store file/project data locally? Purchase one or more high capacity hard drives (2-4 terabytes for example)...and store everything locally.

Idea #2:

Try using your cellphone as a hotspot. According to an article I came across...upload & download speeds (Mbps) are faster than what you mentioned for your office. Of course depending on how much data you need to move...if you have unlimited data on your cell plan...double check to see if the speeds get throttled back after a certain amount of data is used/month.

Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 8.33.33 AM.png

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

If this is an office environment, you should purchase a NAS and use that to store all of the data locally for performance. Then, you should set up a backup job to transfer all that data during the night to a cloud storage facility like Dropbox (or the umpteen other services now out there).
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

If this is an office environment, you should purchase a NAS and use that to store all of the data locally for performance.

Or why not setup and use the macOS Local Intranet "File Sharing"???

So I can't afford to have lost data.
    And create backups as needed.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Or why not setup and use the macOS Local Intranet "File Sharing"???

And create backups as needed.

- Patrick
    ======
    The NAS gives you the ability to have a RAID'ed drive which gets you a level of security that you will not get by simply sharing a single Mac's drive on the local network. You add an external backup beyond that to create a second level of protection. If data security is paramount, this is the recommended method.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

The NAS gives you the ability to have a RAID'ed drive which gets you a level of security that you will not get by simply sharing a single Mac's drive on the local network.

Not knocking the suggestion of using a NAS drive or access storatge point, but it seems that they already have some good WAN protection with their super slow bandwidth speed.

Just using their local LAN access should be much faster regardess of which they use I would think.

- Patrick
    ======

Using a single central machine with a single drive means that when that drive (inevitably) fails, you've lost all of your data and unless you've been making active backups elsewhere, have lot of a lot of important data. Even the cheapest NAS supports the most basic of RAIDs which ensure that a single drive failure will not result in data loss and gives you enough time to grab a replacement drive to keep your data secure. The backup in that scenario is more insurance than a necessity.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Even the cheapest NAS supports the most basic of RAIDs which ensure that a single drive failure will not result in data loss...

Good valid point to consider.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information