Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Cannot get anything from iTunes Store
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Ian, I just tried the iTunes store on my 2010 iMac with High Sierra. Got in and searching worked like normal. Someone at Apple must be wrong.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Could it have something to do with 2 Factor Authentication vs 2 Step Verification? Which do your accounts have?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Could it have something to do with 2 Factor Authentication vs 2 Step Verification? Which do your accounts have?
    Good question. I know I am using 2FA here.

You are correct, Patrick. My iTunes and Apple Store accounts (only) are linked to blogs@btinternet.com.

As stated before, I can get into my account, see all the PW details, credit card details, Authorised Macs and much more. So the Account is fine. But the iTunes Store continues to evade me.

Do I understand correctly that there are just no options to select anything from any of the iTunes selection areas???

Maybe set up a new admin testuser, and see what shows up when logged into the iTunes account???

Or maybe you have something blocking the iTunes from showing anything???>

What about trying by booting into safe boot mode???

But that looks like you have a plan. So I shall await the outcome...

EDIT:
    BTW: You said:
    1. Reinstalled a fresh version of iTunes.
    What version of iTunes are you using???

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 08-03-2019 at 05:32 PM.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    F/U

Further online chat with Apple who, with due respect, are not giving up on this.

I have repeatedly, and politely, suggested that their advice is incorrect. They linked me to a fresh download of iTunes which turns out to be the same version as I have and which I have replaced twice before. (12.8.2.3). Still no iTunes Store. And they stubbornly stick to the Mojave upgrade theory. Were are still in discussion. Slow process.

Patrick I went into Safe Mode - still doesn't work. But something I learnt from the Safe Boot which might be of interest to others:

If you have a Bluetooth (BT) Keyboard and if your Mac still has a chime, wait till you hear the chime before holding down the Shift Key. This is because BT is not recognised/engaged until you hear the chime. Don't hold down Shift from the start. It didn't work.

If you don't have a chime (soundless newer Macs), then you have to gauge when the startup process begins, then hold down Shift; or use a wired KB where you can use Shift from the beginning.

Although Safe Boot had no effect on my iTunes Store problem, it did achieve something else.

In Safe Mode, I understand that the process of booting up also involves carrying out various cache clearances etc, etc. In my case, it solved a fair number of minor irritating inconveniences, some instances of delayed responses, the odd sluggish behaviour. In short, the iMac is behaving like new. Useful to know and may be worth considering for those niggling problems.

I have one or two things to do yet within "my cunning plan". Further F/U coming.

Ian
    Ian

If you don't have a chime (soundless newer Macs), then you have to gauge when the startup process begins, then hold down Shift; or use a wired KB where you can use Shift from the beginning.

I believe I read somewhere on those particular Macs and in that situation to invoke safe boot mode, just wait until the Apple logo appears on screen and then press and hold the shift key.

BTW:
    Maybe try this:
    How to Fix "Cannot Connect to iTunes Store" | page 1 |

And no shortage of iTunes Store hits of problems and no mention of having to upgrade to Mojave which is just a stupid and unfounded suggestion.
    How to Fix "Cannot Connect to iTunes Store" | page 1 |

Gads, maybe I should let the Apple techs know it all seems to work even booting in my Mavericks OS 10.9.5 and iTunes v. 12.6.2.

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 08-04-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    to invoke safe boot mode, just wait until the Apple logo appears on screen and then press and hold the shift key.
    Yes, that can work but you have to be very quick about it or it's into a normal boot.

Wired KB - from the start.

Thank you Patrick. You're a right decent chap.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I believe I read somewhere on those particular Macs and in that situation to invoke safe boot mode, just wait until the Apple logo appears on screen and then press and hold the shift key.
    It doesn't always work Patrick. My iMac is one of those soundless Mac with no Bong on startup. I have found that if I wait until the Apple appears it's too late. However, if I watch the screen closely when it boots the screen will first get dark then lighten up. As soon as it lightens up is when I can press shift, option, or whatever. The screen lightens up slightly before the Apple appears. Works every time for me when I do it that way.

Newer Macs boot very fast because they're equipped with a SSD. A spinning hard drive gives you more time to press shift, option, etc.

My iMac is one of those soundless Mac with no Bong on startup. I have found that if I wait until the Apple appears it's too late. However, if I watch the screen closely when it boots the screen will first get dark then lighten up. As soon as it lightens up is when I can press shift, option, or whatever. The screen lightens up slightly before the Apple appears. Works every time for me when I do it that way.

An excellent hint to tag and file Charlie for those with non-chiming booting Mac models.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
    I haven’t run into this problem, but this thread is an interesting read and I am awaiting with bated breath culmination of your “cunning plan”
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    F/U

If you have a Bluetooth (BT) Keyboard and if your Mac still has a chime, wait till you hear the chime before holding down the Shift Key. This is because BT is not recognised/engaged until you hear the chime. Don't hold down Shift from the start. It didn't work.

Ian
    Minor swerve the main thread topic: You're right about the Bluetooth keyboard and there are times when that's very frustrating. I've found another solution which seems to work. Take a Bluetooth keyboard and plug its charging cable into the usb port (assuming it charges via USB). For all practical purposes the Mac seems to see this as a wired keyboard. Handy if you don't have any other wired keyboard around.

I've tried it with the Apple keyboard and at least one other third-party keyboard and it seems to work.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Great point, Sly! Hadn't thought of that.

BT Keyboards and the Mouse can be temperamental at times - usually when you most need them I always keep a wired Mouse & KB just in case.

@Charlie

As you've kindly joined this thread - what do you think about Apple's advice and my problem?

Ian
    Ian

Further online chat with Apple who, with due respect, are not giving up on this.

I have repeatedly, and politely, suggested that their advice is incorrect.

I must say that Apple's web page makes everything sound so simple:

Sign in to the App Store and iTunes Store on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, PC, or Apple TV
    You only need one Apple ID, and when you sign in with that Apple ID on all of your devices, you get access to all of your iTunes Store purchases.

Get help with billing or subscription issues.
    That "Help" link seems to be a bit of a joke.

Anyway, that's what they say here:
    Sign in to the App Store and iTunes Store on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, PC, or Apple TV - Apple Support

BTW: I had to open iTunes several times and switch between the various choices before I got any NEW applications to actually show and other than those I had already purchased that kept showing.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    The correspondence with Apple continues. I thought that the reply I got from them yesterday- and I quote exactly - might amuse or at least express a not-so-subtle irony:

"Ian, for the inconvenience, please accept the 5 song credits I’ve issued to your account. You can use these credits to buy 5 songs of your choice from the iTunes Store.

You should see the song credit(s) appear underneath your Apple ID name in the iTunes Store." Signed: Erika - iTunes Store Customer Support

Now, if I could only access the iTunes Store...................

Ian
    Ian

Ian, while search isn't working on the Store, what DO you get when you click on Store? Anything in New Music and if so, can you randomly click one of them (I see Drake has a new album called Care Package that came up as the first option) and get the details?

If none of the front page of the Store appears, the issue seems more severe than just an inability to search for specific things.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Thread Information