Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    I don't think the bandwidth is going to be evenly distributed between users unless all users are doing the same thing. So one user at Starbucks could be reading email or surfing online, another might be listening to music/podcast and another downloading a big file. In that use, the bulk of the bandwidth would end up with the downloader, I think. In any event, it's not just divided evenly.
    Yes, absolutely!
    But I think the expectation Starbucks and those places have when they offer free WiFi is that their customers use that service for email, surfing, music these types of tings, not to download an OS.
    Places actually used to limit the time one could stay connected to the net, don't know if that is still true.
    I hardly ever use the free WiFi at those places and if I do it's only for a few minutes to check something.

As you said before:
    I didn't say the options were good, just that they are pretty much all that's available safely. Sometimes you have to pick the least sucky option...
    I think we all agree on that.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts / suggestions in this thread. MacInWin was quite right with his deductions based on my previous posts. I ended up using the DosDude Mojave Installer patch which allows you to effectively circumvent having to have an existing (and thus potentially compormised) osx install, and instead download the Mojave installer file straight from the app store (without having to actually use app store) and then I made the bootable USB installer with Diskmaker X (this tool has worked twice for me now on High sierra and now Mojave - faultless installations) before doing a complete CMD-R reboot / disk erase and clean install of Mojave from the USB disk created beforehand.

The only issue I now face is that I can't seem to get the app store to show any updates, and you'll soon see my post about this pending any further info.

Regards

Macced

Offline Mojave Installer
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    I'd like to verify that the App Store downloads do now resume at the last verifiable point. So if you stop a download or simple shut down, the download will Pause. On rebooting it will be in a paused state and may say "Waiting" in the Launcher but it will resume after a little time (be patient). I have encountered this a few times recently and it is a dream come true for me with my unreliable internet connection here. Was a time (not so long ago) that every time my connection dropped I would have to start a download from the beginning. Sometimes it took 5 or 6 tries to get an OS upgrade.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Thread Information