Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Like Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WD My Passport for mac
    Hi Gang, My WD My Passport for mac 1TB is nearing full. As I don't know much about these things, Im wondering if I get a 4TB unit will I have to somehow transfer the info from the full one to the new one?Thanks in advance! Bob

WD My Passport for mac
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Bob, that would be entirely up to you. Do you HAVE to? No, you don't. Just add the new drive to the "farm" of drives as long as you have an attachment point.

Now that was the simplistic answer, which should work for 99% of use cases. However, if there is something unique you are doing with the external, then it may make sense to copy the data over to the larger drive and then repurpose the smaller one for something else.
    Jake

WD My Passport for mac
    Hi Gang, My WD My Passport for mac 1TB is nearing full.

Some other answers may also depend on how you are using the WD My Passport for Mac 1TB External Drive.

Are you using it for manually storing data or large files like videos etc., or is it being used as a backup drive with software like CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner)???

By the way, if it is being used for backups, a single backup source Is absolutely minimal, especially if it is critical data.

- Patrick
    ======

Thanks Guys for the imputes, Im using it with my iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) I Just use it to, I believe hold some of the storage that would be taking space on my system mostly photos. I don't have any videos saved. I may have a lot of duplicate files I could sweep out if I knew how! MacInWin when you say farm do you mean plugging in a New 4TB in one of the usb ports along with my original near full passport?Thanks Guys.

WD My Passport for mac
    Your Mac's Specs
    Yeah, sorry, that term is from my mainframe days when you had a "farm" of storage drives all in one place on the floor. Right now I have a farm of nine external drives, plus two networked drives in my network. For your purpose your farm could be the two drives. If you run out of USB ports, you can get a USB hub to connect more. Powered hubs are generally more reliable than unpowered ones.
    Jake

WD My Passport for mac
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2013 13" MBP, 8 Gb, 256 SSD, early 2011 13" MBP, 8 GB, 256 SSD
    One thing I don't like about WD Passport drives is the fact that the usb connector is soldered to the internal drive's logic board. If the usb port gets damaged, retrieving the data could be a nightmare which is why I prefer to buy a bare drive and enclosure separately.
    Apple stuff: iPhone 6s, Air2 LTE, Late 2013 13" MBP, Early 2011 13" MBP, Late 2011 15" MBP, Mid-2013 13" MBA

WD My Passport for mac
    One thing I don't like about WD Passport drives is the fact that the usb connector is soldered to the internal drive's logic board.

Good valid point to consider.

Thanks.

EDIT: They are also almost double the thickness of a standard notebook/netbook drive. Just in case someone was planning to re-ues the bare drive internally.

Western Digital MyPassport 2TB USB 3.0 HDD Disassembly
    YouTube

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 07-04-2019 at 12:36 PM.

WD My Passport for mac
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Quote Originally Posted by Audit13 View Post
    One thing I don't like about WD Passport drives is the fact that the usb connector is soldered to the internal drive's logic board. If the usb port gets damaged, retrieving the data could be a nightmare which is why I prefer to buy a bare drive and enclosure separately.
    I go one step further... and avoid anything from WD. I've had too many WD Passport drives fail on me. And even when Western Digital replaced one under their warranty, the drive replacement they sent failed after only using it twice.

WD My Passport for mac
    I've had too many WD Passport drives fail on me.

That's rather surprising to me, and opposite to my experience, but maybe that's because I try to stick with their Black models. But even their external portable drives have worked well, at least for me.

- Patrick
    ======

WD My Passport for mac
    Your Mac's Specs
    I try not to use anything but WD and have never had any issues with them at all. Seagates, on the other hand...just. say. no.
    Jake

WD My Passport for mac
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2013 13" MBP, 8 Gb, 256 SSD, early 2011 13" MBP, 8 GB, 256 SSD
    I have used Seagate portables for years with no problems.

I have put together my own portables using Samsung, WD, and Seagate 2.5" drives with excellent results and reliability.
    Apple stuff: iPhone 6s, Air2 LTE, Late 2013 13" MBP, Early 2011 13" MBP, Late 2011 15" MBP, Mid-2013 13" MBA

WD My Passport for mac
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Just a couple of things from me:
    As far as transferring the data from one external HD to another it is really just a matter of plugging them both in and using Drag & Drop from one to the other. This method will remove the file from one HD and transfer it to the other or if you wish to keep both copies (which I suggest is safer) you could clone the smaller drive to the new, larger drive using my favorite cloning software Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC). You can also select which specific folders to clone.

Regarding duplicates, that's a bit tricky. There are a lot of third party app's that will allow you to search for and remove duplicates, some are specific for photos, others include all data types. Duplicate Fixer and it's Pro version will allow you to search specific Photo Libraries whereas Gemini 2 will allow you to search for all file types but both cost money and the down side is that you can't compare files from the Mac HD with files on an Ext HD automatically.

This is why I no longer suggest people copy their Photos library to an external HD unless it is due to space limitations and they intend to use it as their default library. If it's just a backup it becomes very difficult to keep the two in sync after a short time.

By far the easiest way to ensure that your backup stays in sync is to clone the entire Mac HD to an external HD and update it on a regular (I use weekly) basis.
    With CCC you also get a "Safety Net" for files you may have deleted on the source accidentally.

CCC (and some other cloning software) also creates a bootable clone meaning you can run your device from it in the event of internal drive failure or repair it where possible. Very handy for Restoring your old computer to a new device or new HD too.

For my money (CCC is about $50.00) is well worth the cost and peace of mind.
    Lastly you can get a free, fully functional, 30 day trial version to test out.
    Last edited by Rod; 07-05-2019 at 01:09 AM.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

WD My Passport for mac
    Your Mac's Specs
    PS. I have had a WD My Passport fail on me, thankfully nothing lost due to additional backup but hen I've had other makes fail too over the years. By the way don't go paying extra for My Passport for Mac, there is no difference between it and the PC version except often the "for Mac" version costs more and is harder to find. The stock standard My Password just needs to be reformatted, an easy task with Disk Utility.
    The only and oldest external HD I still have is a 10 year old Transcend 250Gb, I currently use a 1Tb Transcend for my MBP CCC clone.

Thanks a lot Rod, lots of good info to consider! just ordered a 4TB passport today.

WD My Passport for mac
    Your Mac's Specs
    Well, let us know if you have any further questions. When you actually get your hands on it you may want to consider two options whicg are really only available before you start using it; formatting and partitioning.
    Yes I know its a WD My Passport for mac but I like to format new USB HD's myself to ensure they are running the same format as my computer. It will probably be a HFS+ filing system in Macintosh Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format which is fine but I like to check.
    The other thing is partitioning, you might like to consider the possibilities of dividing the HD up into smaller partitions. This could be for different uses or even different formats to make the device compatible with other devices such as a Windows PC. Just a thought to consider, I used to use a 1Gb USB HD divided into two equal partitions for a portable backup, one partition for a bootable clone and the other for Time Machine backups.

Thread Information