Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    WD My Passport for mac
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Rod, in that backup scheme you actually only have ONE backup. If that drive fails, you lose both backups. That is fine, as long as you know the risk. It would be better to move one or the other backup to a different drive.
    Jake

WD My Passport for mac
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Jake, point well taken but it was merely an example of what can be done with partitioning, I said, I used to use a 1Gb USB HD divided into two equal partitions for a portable backup. I don't do that any more, I use a second bootable clone nowadays (the other remains at home) for trips overseas. Not only do I have more that one copy of all my backups but i would never suggest "putting all ones eggs in one basket" like that as an only backup.
    I could just as easily have suggested one partition for photos and the other for documents.
    The point I was making was that this is easier to decide at the beginning rather than after the device is in use.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

WD My Passport for mac
    Your Mac's Specs
    And that's fine, Rod. Just didn't want anyone reading this thread to think that two backups on one drive is a good thing.
    Jake

WD My Passport for mac
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    And that's fine, Rod. Just didn't want anyone reading this thread to think that two backups on one drive is a good thing.

That reminds me of the impractical Frenchman who belonged to the local Mac users group who insisted on doing that and was convinced he was double protected, but with the extra misunderstanding that the drive he was using for the backup was, you guessed it, his boot Drive!!!

I don't know if I ever actually got through to him explaining his folly.

He was convinced his partitions were separate volumes. And yes they were. And all part of the same hard drive!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Thanks guys for the info!

Thanks for all the great info, I have the new 4TB, I have not done anything yet, Im going to format as suggested. I would like to partition into maybe 4 equal sections, do I need to be concerned about this notice on the WD instructions? ((((Western Digital does not recommend multiple partitions due to potential corruption of the Partition table. The partition table is used to display each partition within the Operating System and if this becomes corrupted it will lead to data loss. Please contact Microsoft or Apple for more support.))) Thanks for any input guys. Bob

WD My Passport for mac
    do I need to be concerned about this notice on the WD instructions?

I have come across that WD notice with some recent drives and I have no idea when they started including it or why.

Bombich, the developer of Carbon Copy Cloner also seems to post a warning about using WD drives for some reason, whether it's due to any partitioning or not I don't know, but I have never encountered a problem with CCC either with any of my partitioned WD drives. Internal or external.

I have been using WD drives, both internal and external, for years and every single one of them has been partitioned and I dare say I have never had any troubles with any of them, except of course when some of them just plain failed due to age or whatever the cause.

The potential corruption of the Partition table that they refer to can happen with any Drive, partitioned or not, and was one of the main reasons for the development of the Diskwarrior application that was designed to do the recovery and repair of such drives. But the problem and the use of the application has certainly dwindled over the years and especially with the later Mac OS versions. Or maybe hard drives are just built better these days. Maybe.... but I don't know why.

Why not give Western Digital a call and ask them why they add such a notice.

- Patrick
    ======

WD My Passport for mac
    Your Mac's Specs
    Patrick, I suspect the language came from the legal department. I would venture a guess that some dolt bought a WD drive, put data on it, then later partitioned it and lost all his data and instead of saying internally, "Wow, that was dumb. I won't do that again," went out a got a lawyer to sue WD because they didn't warn the dolt that mucking about with things you don't know anything about is dangerous.

You can't cure stupid. But you can laugh at it. The assinine thing about the warning is that EVERY drive has a partition table, as you say, so any drive could have a fault in the partition table and lost data as a result.

That warning is about the equivalent of an auto maker recommending that you not put gasoline in your car because that might result in a fire.
    Jake

WD My Passport for mac
    That warning is about the equivalent of an auto maker recommending that you not put gasoline in your car because that might result in a fire.

That could come with two warnings, the first being: Caution They Walk Among Us

This could be the second:
    Yes, It's Hot; But No, Your Gas Tank Won't Explode If You Fill It Up

Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 8.39.15 AM.png
    Yes, It's Hot; But No, Your Gas Tank Won't Explode If You Fill It Up

- Patrick
    ======

WD My Passport for mac
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    LOL, it gets hot in Canada?

I see folks filling their fuel tanks to the max and overflowing here in Texas. And I can guaranty that our Summers are a lot hotter than yours.

WD My Passport for mac
    LOL, it gets hot in Canada?

Sure does in some places, but just wondering... did you read the article at the attached URL???
    While many warnings exist about these dangers, a new, troubling warning has surfaced: claims that a full gas tank can spontaneously explode on a hot day. The warnings are going viral in many parts of the world, but is this a legitimate concern? Let's look to the science to find out.
    BTW: The highest temperature officially recorded in Canada is 45 C (113 F) and 120 degrees for Texas. That's only a difference of 3 F. That might be surprising to some people, especially those who think we have snow and igloos all year round.

Heck, even the interior of BC often gets temperatures in the high 30s and low to mid-forties. Celsius that is.

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 09-13-2019 at 05:07 PM.

Thread Information