Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Calendar explanations
    Hello.

I set up family sharing (between me and my partner, no-one else here) on our Calendars, which seemed like a good thing.

Mostly, it works, at least between our iPads and occasionally our Macs. She has a Powerbook Pro, I've got a MacMini, both using High Sierra; each of us has an iPad.

Due to basic ignorance, I for no good reason set up two calendars originally, a Work calendar and a Family calendar.

Since they are both 'shared', I can't merge them into a single calendar, which I want to do to eliminate that possible reason for lack of synching. I've seen one comment on the web that if you DELETE a calendar, you get the option to merge it prior to deletion. Is this true, as I'd hate to press the button and lose what is in essence a potted history of the past decade or so (I refer to events years ago by skimming through the calendar!)

Is there an idiot's guide to OS Calendar functions somewhere?

Thanks.

Allen.

Calendar explanations
    Is there an idiot's guide to OS Calendar functions somewhere?
    I don't know, but try a google searching...

Regardless, make sure you have a full current backup before mucking about:
    How to Back Up Your iCloud Contacts and Calendar Data
    How to Back Up Your iCloud Contacts and Calendar Data

- Patrick
    ======

Thanks Patrick. (I thought I WAS backing up adequately, until I read your 'How to back up' link. Seems I was only archiving ONE of my two running calendars!)

I shall proceed with caution.

Allen.

Calendar explanations
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Nice one, Patrick.

Ian
    Ian

Calendar explanations
    Quote Originally Posted by allen-uk View Post
    Thanks Patrick. (I thought I WAS backing up adequately, until I read your 'How to back up' link. Seems I was only archiving ONE of my two running calendars!)

I shall proceed with caution.

Allen.

You wouldn't have been the only person who thought they were backing up properly and completely. :-( It seems that Apple's idea of a "backup" is completely different to what many would expect, and may be quite lacking when it comes time to restore.

That is also why I and quite a few others suggest using iMazing.app (or similar) and make sure you get all of one's data from all your iDevices as well. Apple's idea of a backup for them is even worse. Especially if you had an app from the App Store that is no longer available there (Apple often removes apps) when time to restore arrives.

- Patrick
    ======

Calendars for MacMini and Macbook Pro now all sorted by ‘subscribing’. Simply making them 'shared' didn't do the job.

First, I got rid of the second calendars, Deleting them didn’t throw up the option of merging while deleting, BUT the data on those calendars DID remain on the Sucuri WebSite Firewall - Not Configured calendar link (Sign in to iCloud - Apple). Then, once I’d subscribed (see below) all existing data on the calendars appeared on all devices.

Go to Calendar, click on selected calendar, click ’broadcast’ icon, copy the URL listed under Public Calendar.

Go to Calendar / File / New Calendar Subscription, paste in the URL, click Subscribe, and that’s that. The iPads seem to be linked more easily, i.e. as long as they were on the same Apple ID/Password, they were linked through iCloud /Family Sharing.

Allen.

Seems I can't edit after more than an hour or two, otherwise I'd have changed my last self-congratulatory post...

Not quite.

Seems that all our 4 devices are nicely linked, except mine! (MacMini). Both iPads, and partner's Macbook Pro seem fine. Input an 'event' on any one, including Sucuri WebSite Firewall - Not Configured, and up it pops on each iPad, Macbook. But not on my MacMini. If it was consistently missing, I'd be happier, but SOME of my calendar events do get through to the other machines.

I'm toying with the idea of reinstalling Calendar (on the MacMini), but the only way I can see of doing that is an OS reinstall. It seems, and it's really only a guess, that the 'Refresh' facility on my MacMini ain't working properly...

Anyone got any better ideas?

Ta.

Allen.
    Last edited by allen-uk; 06-29-2019 at 10:47 AM. Reason: further thoughts.

Calendar explanations
    Input an 'event' on any one, including Firewall - Not Configured, and up it pops on each iPad, Macbook. But not on my MacMini.
    I don't know what your problem is, But when I click on the address you provided I get:
    This site can’t be reached
    www.calendar’s server IP address could not be found.

Did you mean Calendar | Easily Schedule Meetings and Connect Calendars
    Search Google for calendar
    ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED
    That alone seems rather odd to me, especiall if it's a site that contains your data that should be accessible, but then again, I would have thought it would have been Personally Protected, and not available to public access.

Sorry, but I can't help with your problem very much.

- Patrick
    ======

Calendar explanations
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    If you subscribe to a Calendar, you (usually) are not allowed to edit it, only see events. Sharing a Calendar will give you edit capability.

Are you subscribing to a "web" calendar, or a friend/family member Calendar?

I subscribe to Calendars for sports teams I follow, and also a school one of my children attend. I can't edit these at all. But between my wife, our youngest and myself, we can each edit all the shared calendars. You may find it helpful to turn off all Calendars, and selecting one at a time to get familiar with which Calendars are editable and which are not?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Patrick. The URL I posted (https://[www.icloud}[space].com/[#calendar]) - minus all the square brackets, of course... only works for me if I'm logged in, as no, it's not a public calendar. But you can use it (if you're logged in) for personal use.

Bob. Family member only. I only chucked in the web version on my posting to show that it picked up events (and synced to other devices associated with the account).

General point: are there 'hidden' Calendar files in my MacMini Library that I could delete to try and clean up Calendar, as the problem does seem peculiar to my machine?

Allen

Calendar explanations
    General point: are there 'hidden' Calendar files in my MacMini Library that I could delete to try and clean up Calendar, as the problem does seem peculiar to my machine?
    I don't know, but I sure wouldn't go mucking about in there without a current backup.

I believe you'll find your Calendar files in:
    Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Calendars folder.

You'll probably have to search with Google for how to translate the file and folder names Apple seems to give them all. And you are a better man than I am if you can figure it out on your own.

- Patrick
    ======

Fair comment. I always double-back-up, and if I do get rid of .plist files, I rename them and keep them in a separate folder, so they can be reinstalled easily...

A

Calendar explanations
    Fair comment. I always double-back-up, and if I do get rid of .plist files, I rename them and keep them in a separate folder, so they can be reinstalled easily...

A

I think you may be thinking and and hoping in a dream state world and expect to have them all work properly after re-installation!!

Not knocking your abilities, but just saying...

- Patrick
    ======

Calendar explanations
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Just a thought for you to think about: I've saved plist files before awesome and kept them around for a few days as a means of troubleshooting an issue. I've never tried renaming them though. If you have to use one of those files it might be best to change the filename back to whatever it was initially.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Yes to both. Unfortunately, there is no real help from Apple Support re. calendars going a bit wrong, and unlike most small programs you can't, of course, simply delete then reinstall bits of OSX.

As for deleting .plist files, well, it has worked a few times in the past (for example, for a mouse that wouldn't let go(!), deleting the associated .plist files and relaunching did work)...

Yes, it is a move made more in hope than knowledge, but honest, I do these things (a) as a last resort and (b) very cautiously.

I'll report back!

Allen.

Thread Information