Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Locked Preview Images
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Hughvane, what are you using to do these edits? What may well be happening is that the edits are being permanently saved with the original screenshot as a fixed part of the image rather than as an element that can be edited, which means that the next time you open the image, those elements appear to be "locked" when in fact they are fixed in the image. So, what tool are you using to do the editing?

And, just to be clear, when you try to open an edited picture, the picture opens up just fine, it's just that you cannot edit the added elements any more?
    Jake

Locked Preview Images
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacMini 8.1 & 4.1, OS 10.14 & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Hughvane, what are you using to do these edits? .... And, just to be clear, when you try to open an edited picture, the picture opens up just fine, it's just that you cannot edit the added elements any more?
    1. Screenshot image is saved in .jpg
    2. Image is opened in Preview
    3. Editing is done in Preview using Markup (which allows the addition of text, arrows, etc)
    4. Image is saved.
    Thereafter I can open the amended/edited image in Preview, no problem, but I cannot change the additions, they cannot even be selected, they have become a permanent "fixed' part of the saved image.

Even if I Save As in a different location, the original also retains the editing, and it cannot be changed or removed.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Locked Preview Images
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    That is correct. That is how Preview does editing. The edits, when saved, become a permanent part of the new image. What you might think about doing is to rename the image at the time you OPEN the document and well before you start to make the edits and preserve the original image with NO edits just in case you want to restore later. From your sequence, you are saving the edits and then renaming the file, but at that point the edits have already been saved and the original file overwritten.

Ok, that said, you might try opening the image in Preview, then click on File/Revert to... and see if you have an old image in Time Machine that you can pull back from before it was saved. That only works if TM is turned on, obviously, but it might be of some use.

If this is how you want to work, you might consider changing the editor you use from Preview to Photos. Photos does non-destructive editing, preserving the original image for you so that you can redo/undo what you did, although I don't think you can actually edit something you've added, just revert it away and re-enter. For editing you are talking about you need to move to something with "layers" in editing like Photoshop or Gimp. You might find this article educational:

The Ins and Outs of Non-destructive Editing in Photos for Mac and iOS - TidBITS
    Jake

Thread Information