Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weird name change of main drive
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2013 13" MBAir, 2010 MacPro, iPhone X
    This is weird. It seems the name of my 2017 Macbook Pro's main drive has changed. I did not do it and I am not sure how it happened. It seems to have occurred on May 23rd of this year. Since I don't remember when I upgraded the OS to 10.14.5, I am not sure if that caused it. I have attached two pictures with the weird name of the drive underlined. I am having no issues with the MBP but it is very curious and I am hesitant to change it to something else. Any ideas?

Lisa
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

It's not normal and certainly not what you want so reset it back to what to do want and carry on.

Then you may want to check your backup schedules and preferences as well and double-check the name change doesn't change anything there.

As our home builder was in the habit of saying when odd or strange things happened: Sh*t Happens, carry on...

PS: Do you have any grandchildren that might have access to your Mac when they are over. They love to do stuff like that...

PPS: BTW that icon doesn't seem to look like a normal boot volume but then again I'm not used to using the recent Mac OS versions, so excuse my ignorance.

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 06-07-2019 at 03:46 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    That is the icon for my boot drive. However, looking at the name I would be a bit careful as the new name seems to start with "/" and that might be a bit tricky.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    No one touches this laptop but me - which means any issues I own it!!!

Jake - The "/" gave me pause too. Not sure why or what caused the change. Running malwarebytes now but I don't think that is the issue but it never hurts.

I will let you know what I decide. Will do a CCC backup first though

Lisa
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Your Mac's Specs
    So I figured out what the drive name was. If you look at the bottom row of the keyboard -> /.,mnbvcxz <- and that was the drive name. Not sure how it happened - and at my age I know better than to ponder it for any length of time. So I changed it back to Macintosh HD and all is good with life!

Thanks Jake and Patrick for your input.

Lisa

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Lisa

I don't know either; but may I ask what shows up when you use Disk Utility (DU)? The "/" implies a Mount Point, (image 3 below). I don't want to waste your time, but I have a feeling that DU may help.

The attached screenshots show what I see in DU with the main drive and indents highlighted.

S1.pngS2.pngS3.png

Ian
    Ian

I would be a bit careful as the new name seems to start with "/" and that might be a bit tricky.

I was led to believe that the "/" was an illegal file/folder name but not so it seems.

39790: Illegal Characters on Various Operating Systems
    Illegal Characters on Various Operating Systems | Knowledge Base

============================
    MACINTOSH OS X CONVENTIONS

Since Mac OS X is build on top of UNIX there are a few inherent conventions that OS 9 users may not expect. Because of this, migrating certain files and folders from OS 9 to OS X may cause unexpected behavior.

The only illegal character for file and folder names in Mac OS X is the colon ":"

File and folder names are not permitted to begin with a dot "."

File and folder names may be up to 255 characters in length

=================================

Your Mac's Specs
    I ran DU first aid, Malwarebytes, and Onyx. No problems. Changed the name and it is doing fine. As for the different characters in the name - leave it to me to have happen with no issues.

As I posted I changed it back to Macintosh HD, ran DU and Onyx. All good.

Lisa

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Bravo!

Ian
    Ian

As I posted I changed it back to Macintosh HD, ran DU and Onyx. All good.

FWIW: I have never left our Macs with their original "Macintosh HD" name, but use something more descriptive, ie: "iMac i5 Mav HD" or "MBPro HD" etc.

And the same goes for naming the machines for file sharing. There's nothing worse than trying to network a bunch of Macs all named the same "Macintosh HD" and actually get some work done.

That's akin to playing that button button who's got the button game!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    The only way to know the "real" name of the drive is to use Terminal to show what was actually the name. The fact it was the bottom row of letters implies either accident (cat crossing the keyboard) or truly malicious. Only Lisa can know which is more likely.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Patrick - I agree with different names for drives. At work I name them differently. For example I have drives I share on my main computer named Clev-D, Clev-E, etc. On my Mac Pro it is MP-Data and MP-OWC. Since I am the only one to access these particular drives I know what the names mean and where they are. On the NAS it is SynologyStorage, SynologyShare... you get the idea.

My MBP laptop is never on my network at work as it is my home computer. I guess I could give it a unique name. I just used the name it was before the mess up.

Jake - no cats, I am a dog person (only due to really bad cat allergies, nothing against cats.) I am afraid it will be a mystery. No one gets on this computer but me.

Lisa

Jake - no cats, I am a dog person (only due to really bad cat allergies, nothing against cats.) I am afraid it will be a mystery. No one gets on this computer but me.

Hmmm... your avatar sure looks like a young Boarder Collie to me, and having been an owner of several, they can sure get into some mischevious stuff, and mucking about on a keyboard would be a piece of cake for them.

Heck, they can even teach the cats how to do the same and then sit back and let them take the full blame... ;-)

That's why they get labeled as working dogs. They're always working... and always working at not getting caught!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    The main reason I stick with Macintosh HD is that I had one application that apparently hard coded where it expected to find certain files, and that was on Macintosh HD. When I renamed the drive, the application blew up. I needed the application, so I left the drive as it was. Now it's just become habit.
    Jake

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Have you seen this Lisa? Note the first 7 digits. Is your computer trying to tell you something? Could be entirely coincidental of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Thread Information