Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Like Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Two-factor turning off
    Hello.

Fed up with being asked to find an iPad and type in 6-digit codes onto my Mac, I thought the easiest way would be to turn off two-factor authentication.

Which, according to many on the web, I can't do! Apple seem to say you CAN turn it off, but their instructions get vague and peter out.

Is there a way of turning off two-factor authentication? I get to 'security' on my Apple ID page, and there it is listed, with a radio-button, but no off switch.

Help!

Ta.

Allen.

Two-factor turning off
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    You cannot turn it off if it has been in place more than 14 days. If it's any consolation, there is a lawsuit against Apple over this policy, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that. One way I have made it less painful is to make sure the contact information includes all my devices as "trusted" so that the code appears in Messages on my Mac.
    Jake

Thanks Jake. I suppose wiping and reinstalling from scratch might do it - if ever I have a spare day I might try it...

Allen

Two-factor turning off
    Your Mac's Specs
    Nope. It's controlled by Apple and tied to your AppleID account. Wiping won't change it.
    Jake

Ok Jake, got it. I surrender...

A

Two-factor turning off
    Quote Originally Posted by allen-uk View Post
    Fed up with being asked to find an iPad and type in 6-digit codes onto my Mac, I thought the easiest way would be to turn off two-factor authentication.
    I'm fed up with this as well. I wonder how often it happens to you?

In my case it happens every time I log in to an Apple service even when I'm using the same machine in the same location with the same browser (Safari) which I have told Apple I trust. Still, every darn time.

Two-factor turning off
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Macinwin’s reply is definitely the best answer. Yes, I know it can be a pain sometimes but honestly the security if offers really is worth the hassle. I have two friends on Facebook who had their accounts pirated this week and when I asked them were they using 2SV both said no. I faced the fact that the security was worth the effort a while back and now just try to manage it as easily and effectively as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Two-factor turning off
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    I 10000% agree with Rod on this. Well worth the security it provides. MY FB account was hacked also by someone with a new iPhone XS Max. I was locked out of my account.

Two-factor turning off
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratsima View Post

In my case it happens every time I log in to an Apple service even when I'm using the same machine in the same location with the same browser (Safari) which I have told Apple I trust. Still, every darn time.
    You are quite correct - same location, same trusted browser, same trusted Mac - but just to remind others (not necessarily you, Mike) that if you use a VPN, that will not only change your location, but your ISP address as well and, you would be asked for 2FA.

Ian
    Ian

Two-factor turning off
    As I've written before, it baffles me that Apple would use an IP address to determine your location. They can't be unaware of the fact that many of us have dynamic IPs that change all the time. And certainly they must be aware of the huge inaccuracies in the IP location database. And, it's especially baffling that 2FA is required for a device for which you have enabled "Find My ... ". Apple knows exactly where my iMac is:

IMG_1697.jpg
    Yep, there it is. Right where it always is. Hasn't changed since the day I bought it.

Two-factor turning off
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Mike

You may well be correct as regards the ISP address! It's just what I've read previously - can't find the article now - it was a while back.

I think we would all agree that a VPN, by definition, changes your location; and it certainly disguises your true ISP. But whether the change of ISP matters at all, is cast in doubt by your wise comments.

Ian
    Ian

Two-factor turning off
    Yep, there it is. Right where it always is. Hasn't changed since the day I bought it.
    Neat, now we know exactly where Mike lives and seems nice enough, without disclosing too much but it should look familiar: ;-)

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 8.11.36 PM.png

- Patrick
    ======

Two-factor turning off
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I had the impression that it was not so much the IP address as the location. If I use a VPN constantly (as I do) I only get a query if I change the location. So, so long as I select Melbourne no problem. But if I use "smart select" which turns out to be Singapore I get queried not only by Apple but I get an "unexpected activity" alert on my @live.com account but not @gmail.com account. Maybe they already know where I am, or they don't care to check. After all I have 2FA on my Google account too

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Two-factor turning off
    Your Mac's Specs
    You can also see the "movement" phenomenon when you go back to sites you have visited before and get the "we use cookies" warning again and again. They see a different IP number, so they push out the warning so that they are in compliance with the EU requirements. Annoying, frankly.

It's the price of security.
    Jake

Two-factor turning off
    @Rod
    I only get a query if I change the location. So, so long as I select Melbourne no problem. But if I use "smart select" which turns out to be Singapore I get queried not only by Apple but I get an "unexpected activity" alert on my @live.com account but not @gmail.com account. Maybe they already know where I am, or they don't care to check. After all I have 2FA on my Google account too
    I'm sure you caught and read Randy Singer's "joke" whith his #44 post???: Makes one think twice and it used to be funny, now, not so much as the reality hits home.

- Patrick
    ======
    Joke of the Day (Warning some jokes may cause laughter)!!! : )

Thread Information