Attention: Please checkout the new Mac-Forums Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Additional details in the "News & Community Announcements" thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Can't bring a Macbook Air back to life - please help
    I’ll try to keep this as short as possible.

MacBook Air given to me because “the desktop won’t load”. I noticed that when booting, the apple logo will indeed get stuck (the bar won’t go pass 30% or so).

Since this was a recreational laptop, I went straight to Recovery Mode and wiped the drive.

Please note: I am new to the Mac world. PC guy.

Then tried to install via Internet Recovery. Mojave installer came up. Failed with error:

this operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.installer.chunkeddownload error 2.)

(See Pic)

I then tried to reload the “regular” recovery. OS X Yosemite came up and I tried to install that.

Also got this error:

can't download the additional components needed to install os x

(Pic Imgur: The magic of the Internet)

Or sometimes it would just FREEZE:

Vid:

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I then went to diagnostics and got no errors

“No issues found” (ADP000)

At some point I run Disk Utility Verify and Repair:

At this point I went and found another Mac and downloaded Yosemite (I figured i’ll download Yosemite since it was I assume this is original OS this Air came with - to the best of my googling), installed it on a SANDISK USB DRIVE and booted to this drive.

I then got this error:

I then went to a small repair shop to ask and open the bottom plate to see if perhaps something is loose (mainly I was thinking about the SSD).

Nothing seems broken/loose/weird.

Pics:

https://imgur.com/2pUtolT

https://imgur.com/riSpUjO

Since I am about to kill myself, I figured I'll post here again and ask.

Or can anyone help me with any advice? What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks you so much!

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Can you tell us the exact model MacBook Air this is please? This may help with troubleshooting & OS details...especially since both Mojave & Yosemite were both mentioned...and there's quite a gap between these two versions of the masOS.

I realize this may not be super easy if you can't get to the desktop. There should be some info printed on the bottom of the computer.

Thanks,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Can you tell us the exact model MacBook Air this is please? This may help with troubleshooting & OS details...especially since both Mojave & Yosemite were both mentioned...and there's quite a gap between these two versions of the masOS.

I realize this may not be super easy if you can't get to the desktop. There should be some info printed on the bottom of the computer.

Thanks,

- Nick
    Thanks for responding.

It's a Macbook Air, early 2015, Model Model A1466

To my understanding, it's this model: MacBook Air "Core i5" 1.6 13" (Early 2015) Specs (Early 2015, MJVE2LL/A*, MacBookAir7,2, A1466, 2925): EveryMac.com
    Last edited by OOOOKDSJAKSDKLA; 06-06-2019 at 02:03 AM.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    You can try deleting the previous downloads and then use another computer to get the Mojave installer from here:
    macOS Mojave on the Mac App Store
    It will be a large file (about 6Gb). It's not bootable, so you will need to make a bootable installer. The easiest way is to use DiskmakerX if you have a working Mac.

Or, you can try any of these again. About macOS Recovery - Apple Support or How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support
    Sometimes installation gets interrupted if there is any glitch in the Apple store or the internet connection. Usually trying again later works.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    You can try deleting the previous downloads and then use another computer to get the Mojave installer from here:
    macOS Mojave on the Mac App Store
    It will be a large file (about 6Gb). It's not bootable, so you will need to make a bootable installer. The easiest way is to use DiskmakerX if you have a working Mac.

Or, you can try any of these again. About macOS Recovery - Apple Support or How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support
    Sometimes installation gets interrupted if there is any glitch in the Apple store or the internet connection. Usually trying again later works.

Thank you!

1. The problem with getting Mojave on a USB is that my other mac is not compatible with Mojave (too old) so I can't download the file.

2. Will a ETHERNET to USB adapter work in your opinion? I thought of buying one and connecting it to the Air and then trying (perhaps, as you said, it's a WiFi issue?)

Thank you!!!

Your Mac's Specs
    It's worth a try, but the problem may not have been in your WiFi. Have you repeated the internet recovery since the original failure? It might be worth deleting the partial download and starting again clean.
    Jake

It's worth a try, but the problem may not have been in your WiFi. Have you repeated the internet recovery since the original failure? It might be worth deleting the partial download and starting again clean.
    Thank you for responding.

I did buy a USB/Ethernet adapter but the Air will not recognize it.

I keep doing internet recovery (sometimes with Shift key and sometimes without), but the damn thing keeps getting errors.

Here's the latest one with Mojave.
    MacOS Mojave Error MacOS Mojave Error - Imgur

I'm beginning to think this might not be a WiFi issue. But if it's not WiFi, what is it?!

Here's the error I got with Sierra
    Last edited by OOOOKDSJAKSDKLA; 06-06-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Your Mac's Specs
    Maybe try a different network? Have a friend/neighbor/relative with a good high speed connection that would let you into their WiFi network? Or you could maybe take it to an Apple store and see if they would let you give it a go there using their WiFi?
    Jake

Maybe try a different network? Have a friend/neighbor/relative with a good high speed connection that would let you into their WiFi network? Or you could maybe take it to an Apple store and see if they would let you give it a go there using their WiFi?

Thanks again.
    I tried at the office as well, didn't work.

Here are a few pics. Perhaps you or someone technical can find something.

Your Mac's Specs
    Just out of curiosity, does I boot into the recovery partition so that you might be able to reformat the hard drive? It might be that an earlier attempt at Mojave formatted the drive to APFS and that it's somehow mucked up. If you can get to the recovery partition and reformat the drive, that might release the rest of the operations.

Mojave formats SSD to APFS, Yosemite does not, but then Yosemite cannot read/write APFS drives, so that MIGHT be a contributor.
    Jake

Just out of curiosity, does I boot into the recovery partition so that you might be able to reformat the hard drive? It might be that an earlier attempt at Mojave formatted the drive to APFS and that it's somehow mucked up. If you can get to the recovery partition and reformat the drive, that might release the rest of the operations.

Mojave formats SSD to APFS, Yosemite does not, but then Yosemite cannot read/write APFS drives, so that MIGHT be a contributor.
    Oh my, a glimpse of hope!!!

Ok, so what do I do? Mommy giving me the instructions?

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by OOOOKDSJAKSDKLA View Post
    Ok, so what do I do? Mommy giving me the instructions?
    - Boot into the Recovery Partition (command + r keys on startup). Keep holding these two keys down until you see something on the display. If you release them too soon...it may try to boot into the main partition.
    - Launch Disk Utility
    - Reformat the main partition.

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    - Boot into the Recovery Partition (command + r keys on startup). Keep holding these two keys down until you see something on the display. If you release them too soon...it may try to boot into the main partition.
    - Launch Disk Utility
    - Reformat the main partition.

HTH,

- Nick
    Thank you. What do you mean by the MAIN partition?
    You mean the APPLE drive?
    I'll take a picture

Your Mac's Specs
    Nick got there before I could. His instructions are what you would do. If that doesn't work, another possible solution is to use another Mac to create a bootable USB drive and boot from there, format the internal drive and then do the Internet recovery to install the OS.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by OOOOKDSJAKSDKLA View Post
    Thank you. What do you mean by the MAIN partition?
    You mean the APPLE drive?
    I'll take a picture
    Once you have booted and are in Disk Utility, the MAIN partition will be the biggest partition that is shown as indented. The non-indented is the physical drive itself, but you can't format that if you are booted from the Recover partition as that is on the drive and you cannot format the drive from which you are booted.

However, if you boot from a USB drive, then you CAN format the entire internal drive because you aren't booted from it.

Make sense?
    Jake

Thread Information