Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1




Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44
  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Once you have booted and are in Disk Utility, the MAIN partition will be the biggest partition that is shown as indented. The non-indented is the physical drive itself, but you can't format that if you are booted from the Recover partition as that is on the drive and you cannot format the drive from which you are booted.

    However, if you boot from a USB drive, then you CAN format the entire internal drive because you aren't booted from it.

    Make sense?
    Is this the way?
    Booted from external hard drive
    Imgur: The magic of the Internet

    Imgur: The magic of the Internet

  2. #17
    Can't bring a Macbook Air back to life - please help
    MacInWin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 01, 2009
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    6,333
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Rep Power
    26
    In the video, the device named "Apple SSD SMO128G Media" is the physical device and the indented MacintoshHD is the partition. You want to perform what you did in the video on the indented partition. Highlight it, then repeat the format steps (Erase and name as you did). I would suggest you leave the name at MacintoshHD, although 99.9% of software should not care. Once it is formatted, you can then install an OS to it either by Internet recovery or from your bootable drive if it has the installer on it.
    Jake

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    In the video, the device named "Apple SSD SMO128G Media" is the physical device and the indented MacintoshHD is the partition. You want to perform what you did in the video on the indented partition. Highlight it, then repeat the format steps (Erase and name as you did). I would suggest you leave the name at MacintoshHD, although 99.9% of software should not care. Once it is formatted, you can then install an OS to it either by Internet recovery or from your bootable drive if it has the installer on it.
    Can't thank you enough for your help.

    Will do this now. But just curious, doesn't it do this automatically when I do this on the main/physical device?

    Also, once I do this, I can go straight to installation, right? No need to reboot again I assume.

    Did it. Video:
    Imgur: The magic of the Internet
    Last edited by OOOOKDSJAKSDKLA; 06-06-2019 at 03:43 PM.

  4. #19
    Can't bring a Macbook Air back to life - please help
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    41,234
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by OOOOKDSJAKSDKLA View Post
    Thank you. What do you mean by the MAIN partition?
    In case you're interested...here are more details on this. Storage devices (internal or external)...whether they are spinning hard drives or SSD's...can be setup to have multiple partitions.

    For example...you could have a 500gig hard drive...and split it into 2 (or more) separate partitions of 250gig + 250gig...or any sizes you wanted. Even though it's just one drive...those two partitions can act as if they were two separate drives.

    As far as almost all Apple computers sold over the past 8-9 years...almost all of the internal storage device in them (hard drive, fusion drive, or SSD) are formatted with 2 partitions:

    - A very small "Recovery Partition".
    - And a much larger "Main Partition".

    It's this very small "Recovery Partition" we've been talking about booting into in this thread to try to fix things. Normally when you boot/use the computer...you're working within the larger "main partition".

    When you're done working in the "Recovery Partition" (trying to erase/reformat the main partition...then installing a fresh copy of the OS)...then after finishing with this...and you reboot the computer...it will boot into the "main partition".

    HTH,

    - Nick

    p.s. I have some hard drives that I've setup with as many as 5 separate partitions (for specific purposes).
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    In case you're interested...here are more details on this. Storage devices (internal or external)...whether they are spinning hard drives or SSD's...can be setup to have multiple partitions.

    For example...you could have a 500gig hard drive...and split it into 2 (or more) separate partitions of 250gig + 250gig...or any sizes you wanted. Even though it's just one drive...those two partitions can act as if they were two separate drives.

    As far as almost all Apple computers sold over the past 8-9 years...almost all of the internal storage device in them (hard drive, fusion drive, or SSD) are formatted with 2 partitions:

    - A very small "Recovery Partition".
    - And a much larger "Main Partition".

    It's this very small "Recovery Partition" we've been talking about booting into in this thread to try to fix things. Normally when you boot/use the computer...you're working within the larger "main partition".

    When you're done working in the "Recovery Partition" (trying to erase/reformat the main partition...then installing a fresh copy of the OS)...then after finishing with this...and you reboot the computer...it will boot into the "main partition".

    HTH,

    - Nick

    p.s. I have some hard drives that I've setup with as many as 5 separate partitions (for specific purposes).
    Thank you for your help and time!!!

    So, manged to get a copy of Mojave.
    Got this error

    Imgur: The magic of the Internet

    Edit:

    Is this the original SSD that shipped with this Mac?
    I'm assuming it is, but want to make sure

    Imgur: The magic of the Internet
    Last edited by OOOOKDSJAKSDKLA; 06-06-2019 at 05:24 PM.

  6. #21
    Can't bring a Macbook Air back to life - please help
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    41,234
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by OOOOKDSJAKSDKLA View Post
    So, manged to get a copy of Mojave.
    Here's approximately what you should be seeing when booted into the Recovery Partition:

    Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 5.49.01 PM.png

    You should be clicking on "Disk Utility"...and reformatting or erasing the main partition as was mentioned earlier in the thread...and/or then clicking on "Reinstall macOS"...and then letting the computer do its thing during this process.

    When you say "...managed to get a copy of Mojave"...this doesn't sound like either of these two options.

    At this point don't be concerned about what version of the macOS is being installed...since you just want to get the computer operational. Once it's fully operational...then we can talk about the OS version you want to end up with.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Here's approximately what you should be seeing when booted into the Recovery Partition:

    Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 5.49.01 PM.png

    You should be clicking on "Disk Utility"...and reformatting or erasing the main partition as was mentioned earlier in the thread...and/or then clicking on "Reinstall macOS"...and then letting the computer do its thing during this process.

    When you say "...managed to get a copy of Mojave"...this doesn't sound like either of these two options.

    At this point don't be concerned about what version of the macOS is being installed...since you just want to get the computer operational. Once it's fully operational...then we can talk about the OS version you want to end up with.

    - Nick

    Hi again. Thank you.

    What i meant is that I followed a guide to install the OS (Mojave in the last case) to a BOOTABLE EXTERNAL DRIVE (seen here: Imgur: The magic of the Internet).
    I used a small program called Disk Creator (Install Disk Creator -) to do so, and it seems to have worked.

    Then, I clicked OPTION + POWER button and went into the BOOTABLE DRIVE, called "INSTALL MAC OS MOJAVE" (or something of this sort).

    It then took me into that menu (the same menu you showed in the pic).

    I then formatted the drive based on your instructions.

    But still got the errors.

    Here are a few pics I took:

    Imgur: The magic of the Internet
    Imgur: The magic of the Internet
    Imgur: The magic of the Internet
    Imgur: The magic of the Internet
    https://imgur.com/umvtJKh
    https://imgur.com/pkflZQ6


    I am beginning to give up since nothing seems to be working. The thing that gets me to keep trying is that I can't seem to find a hardware issue. So what gives?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #23
    Can't bring a Macbook Air back to life - please help
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    41,234
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by OOOOKDSJAKSDKLA View Post
    What i meant is that I followed a guide to install the OS (Mojave in the last case) to a BOOTABLE EXTERNAL DRIVE
    This is kind of a more DIY advanced method of installing the OS. I would rather see you exhaust all of the Apple built-in more automated options before trying more involved options.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  9. #24
    Can't bring a Macbook Air back to life - please help
    MacInWin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 01, 2009
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    6,333
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Rep Power
    26
    From the error messages, it appears that what is happening is that the installer is trying to convert the drive from the HFS+ format to APFS, but the drive is not formatted HFS+ so the process is failing. What I would recommend is to boot from the USB installer, then use Disk Utility to format the indented drive (not the device itself, as you had done before in one of you images) as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and then try the installation again.

    As background, the installation of Mojave converted any internal SSD that it found from HFS+ to APFS format, preserving the data on the drive. Apple did this to improve the performance of SSD drives. And it looks like it is that conversion process that is failing.
    Jake

  10. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    From the error messages, it appears that what is happening is that the installer is trying to convert the drive from the HFS+ format to APFS, but the drive is not formatted HFS+ so the process is failing. What I would recommend is to boot from the USB installer, then use Disk Utility to format the indented drive (not the device itself, as you had done before in one of you images) as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and then try the installation again.

    As background, the installation of Mojave converted any internal SSD that it found from HFS+ to APFS format, preserving the data on the drive. Apple did this to improve the performance of SSD drives. And it looks like it is that conversion process that is failing.

    Thank you again.

    What I tried to do is see if Mojave will install on the external hard drive. That way, if it did, I'll know that maybe the internal SSD is the issue.

    Well, it did. I got Mojave installed and running.

    I think this means there's a hardware issue with the SSD. I mean, b it's weird since it passed the diagnosis test, and it did always showed up on the disk utility. I manged to format it, and so on.

    Really really weird.

    I guess I should try and grab a replacement?

    If I do, any advice on a replacement (affordable would be great)?

    Imgur: The magic of the Internet

  11. #26
    Can't bring a Macbook Air back to life - please help
    MacInWin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 01, 2009
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    6,333
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Rep Power
    26
    If it tested ok, it's most likely OK. Did you try what I suggested (format to HFS+, retry installing Mojave)?
    Jake

  12. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    If it tested ok, it's most likely OK. Did you try what I suggested (format to HFS+, retry installing Mojave)?
    Thanks. So before I saw your message I had an idea.

    I tried to copy a movie file from an external drive to the internal SSD while using Mojave (from external SSD).

    This will tell me if I can read and write to the drive.
    It worked.

    Then it occurred to me that perhaps I can clone the drive using Carbon (a software I found online).

    I chose the source drive as the currently working external ssd, and the destination drive as the internal SSD.

    Guess what? 1 minute into the process Carbon issued a failure - saying "don't eject the destination drive during process".

    I think this means there's something wrong with the internal SSD drive. Maybe it loses power?

    I then went to fish utility and indeed the internal SSD was gone. See pics.

    Can we assume a faulty SSD at this point?

    Imgur: The magic of the Internet
    INTERNAL SSD SUDDENLY GONE!!! INTERNAL SSD SUDDENLY GONE!!! - Album on Imgur


    Edit: after turning the Mac off and then on again, internal SSD now shows again.
    Is there a test I can run that will check this internal drive?


    Edit: drive Dx shoes internal SSD is healthy:
    DriveDx shows drive is healthy DriveDx shows drive is healthy - Album on Imgur


    Edit again: internal drive disappeared again
    Last edited by OOOOKDSJAKSDKLA; 06-08-2019 at 06:24 AM.

  13. #28
    Can't bring a Macbook Air back to life - please help
    MacInWin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 01, 2009
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    6,333
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Rep Power
    26
    Could be a failure of the SSD, just a poor connection to the drive that is intermittently disconnecting or maybe overheating causing the issue. When SSD drives fail, usually it is catastrophic and permanent. Your symptoms don't seem to match that scenario. However, you could take it to an Apple store for diagnostics run to see what they find out. If the SSD is replaceable, you might find a replacement at OWC (Apple Mac Upgrades - RAM, SSD Flash, External Drives and More).
    Jake

  14. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Could be a failure of the SSD, just a poor connection to the drive that is intermittently disconnecting or maybe overheating causing the issue. When SSD drives fail, usually it is catastrophic and permanent. Your symptoms don't seem to match that scenario. However, you could take it to an Apple store for diagnostics run to see what they find out. If the SSD is replaceable, you might find a replacement at OWC (Apple Mac Upgrades - RAM, SSD Flash, External Drives and More).

    Thank you. I just played a 2 hour movie from internal drive. No issues. Does this give us any indications? I assume not so much. Perhaps just a part/sector of the SSD is damaged? Weird.

    I would take it to the Apple store but currently stationed abroad. Don't even know if there's an official service provider here (no official stores).



    Edit: just installed Smart Reporter Light and will let it run for the night.
    Imgur: The magic of the Internet
    Last edited by OOOOKDSJAKSDKLA; 06-09-2019 at 03:12 PM.

  15. #30
    Can't bring a Macbook Air back to life - please help
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    41,234
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by OOOOKDSJAKSDKLA View Post
    Thank you. I just played a 2 hour movie from internal drive. No issues. Does this give us any indications? I assume not so much. Perhaps just a part/sector of the SSD is damaged? Weird.
    Can you provide more details how this was done? I thought this MacBook Air needed to be "brought back to life" as the thread title mentions. If the MacBook Air's SSD is still installed in the MacBook Air...playing a 2 hour movie sounds "alive" to me.

    Now if the MacBook Air's SSD was removed & installed elsewhere...and this is how the 2 hour movie was played...this I can understand. Otherwise I'm confused...or maybe I'm forgetting something mentioned previously in the thread.

    Thanks,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 04-07-2019, 08:35 AM
  2. Bring back the badass black MacBook
    By Dr.Bronner in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-27-2016, 05:11 PM
  3. Help bring the beast back to life
    By ozbok in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-17-2013, 04:49 PM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-05-2011, 02:29 PM
  5. Can you help me bring it back to life?
    By NMRJock in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 06:37 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •