Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    So I get this each time I start up or shut down "osascript wants to make changes"
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Thanks all. Problem appears to have been solved.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

So I get this each time I start up or shut down "osascript wants to make changes"
    Quote Originally Posted by rachalmers View Post
    Thanks all. Problem appears to have been solved.

I went into Activity Monitor and isolated the osascript that was running, and force killed it.
    so far so good.

I've still got no idea what was running it.

Did you happen to make a note of the name of seemingly culprit that you quit in Activity Monitor.

That should give you a hint as to the possible cause that you could go searching for. But you may need Find Any File or EasyFind apps to find it/them.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you found the fix.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Patrick, no other name. Just osascript so killed it. It hasnít run again.
    No idea what started it in the first place. But itís gone now.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Patrick, no other name. Just osascript so killed it. It hasn’t run again.
    No idea what started it in the first place. But it’s gone now.
    Thanks

Okay, probably no big deal and quite possibly just some old preference file that got hung up somewhere and forgotten about as you mentioned before.

PS: Sometimes booting up using Safe Boot Mode and logging in, run Disk Utility > First Aid or Repair then Restart normally will often fix and purge such files, but it's probably not even be worth while worrying about.

- Patrick
    ======

Patrick, no other name. Just osascript so killed it. It hasn’t run again.
    No idea what started it in the first place. But it’s gone now.
    If you get info on the running process (select it and click the "i" icon in the toolbar) you can see what process started it and who the owner of that process is. That would have given you a good idea as to how it got going, and my be why.

If you get info on the running process (select it and click the "i" icon in the toolbar) you can see what process started it and who the owner of that process is.

Good point Mike, and I was going to mention doing just that in my previous post, but it seemed that the OP already quit the process which made that option rather invalid. But still a good method to use to try and discover the source of an actual Unknown process.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    I tried that and put the info output into about my third post guys. It didnít show anything useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ratsima View Post
    If you get info on the running process (select it and click the "i" icon in the toolbar) you can see what process started it and who the owner of that process is. That would have given you a good idea as to how it got going, and my be why.
    I tried that and put the info output into about my third post guys. It didn’t show anything useful.

Quite true, unless the activity using the "i" option includes the "Open Files and Ports" tab, it's pretty much useless as to what the process might belong to.

And I don't know where or or how one could find such information.

- Patrick
    ======

In Activity Monitor make sure youíre viewing "All Processes". When you click on the "i" icon youíll see the parent process and the owner. Click on the parent process and youíll see the parent of that along with the owner.

Right now Iím running "top" in a terminal session. The parent is Bash and he user is root. The parent of Bash is login and the user is mnewman (me). The parent of login is Terminal and the user is root. The parent of Terminal is launchd and the user is mnewman.

You have to dig a bit but eventually you may find who or what initiated the process youíre interested in.

In Activity Monitor make sure you’re viewing "All Processes". When you click on the "i" icon you’ll see the parent process and the owner.

Unfortunately, as I said previously, about option or the parent process is not always available in all activities, even when vieing "All Processes".

And...
    You have to dig a bit but eventually you may find who or what initiated the process you’re interested in.
    But how long does the average user want to spend scavenging for what may be the cause of the process or activity???

Not very I would suggest.

- Patrick
    ======

Well, there's always pstree if you donít think Activity Minitor is reliable:

Code:
    -+= 00001 root /sbin/launchd
     |-+= 00543 mnewman /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/MacOS/Terminal -psn_0_122910
     | \-+= 02416 root login -pf mnewman
     |   \-+= 02417 mnewman -bash
     |     \--= 02519 root top
    Unfortunately this forum truncates white space so the tree effect is messed up.

Thread Information