Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Clamxav keeps reporting a false positive.
    How do I stop Clamxav from quarantining an app which I had just downloaded from the App Store.
    15" Macbook Pro Retina, 2.5GHz, 1TB pcie flash storage, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR RAM

17" Macbook Pro Antiglare 2.5Ghz, 1TB SSD, 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Hi and welcome.

I no longer use this software, but the answer to your question is within the Settings Area where you can turn off automatic quarantine - see here: ClamXAV | Settings Area

Other options would obviously be to disable ClamXav or uninstall it.

I must assume that you have a very good reason for wanting AV software and ClamXav in particular and that is clearly your business and not mine.

Most of us here, I think, prefer to use anti-malware apps rather than AV apps and, as I mentioned, I gave up ClamXav after some years of using it.

Anyway, see if the linked article helps. Please post back.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I agree with Ian. Remove ClamXav and instead run an anti malware app. There are no viruses that can infect your Mac, however, there is malware that you should be aware of and protect yourself from. We recommend running the Detect X Swift app which will scan for and identify any malware.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately DetectX Swift has also flagged the app (Duplicate Cleaner) as infected. I don't understand why this is. I assume all third party apps would have to go though a test for both malware and virus infections before being allowed onto Apple's App Store. How do I allow DetectX to ignore its Duplicate Cleaner's findings so as not to have it flagged?
    Last edited by okizen; 06-01-2019 at 06:12 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    I'm assuming you're referring to the "Duplicate Cleaner for iPhoto.app"? According to the app description it supposedly works also for the Photos.app. It has mixed reviews in the app store with one very obvious bad review. Not sure if I would trust that app.

It appears that you can set a profile in DetectX Swift so that it will ignore the Duplicate Cleaner for iPhoto app. But you might want to look around for another app that can find duplicate photos.

Hi chscag, the 'Duplicates Cleaner app' I'm referring to is sold by PCVARK and the image of it in the App Store looks like a robot holding a vacuum cleaner.
    Last edited by okizen; 06-02-2019 at 02:01 AM.

Your Mac's Specs
    I found it. It seems there are several apps that have the name or part of the name "Duplicate Cleaner". Again, I don't know why it's flagged as malware. Do you have that many dupe files or photos that you need an app to find them? I would think after you found all the dupes on your hard drive that you would not need to run the app again.

Also, I noticed the Duplicates Cleaner app states that it's verified by Norton and verisign. I wonder if that might be what's setting off the malware alarm with both ClamXav and DetectX Swift?

Hi chscag,
    When I'd run Duplicates Cleaner on one of my external hard drives, I had found over 100GB of duplicate files, 98% being video files but they were spread all over the drive.
    I'm not sure if Norton or VeriSign could be the cause for why Duplicates Cleaner is being flagged as malware.

Thanks.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    I found this app too.

When I looked at the reviews, one caught my attention. I made a screenshot of it. No other way of copying it. I hope you can read what it says.

If Malwarebytes also flagged it up as malware as well as ClamXav and DetectXSwift, then there must be something there I'd be very wary of.

There are dozens of alternatives in the App Store under "Duplicate Cleaner" and "Duplicate Finder" that will do the job for you. Read the reviews. Some helpful, some useless. Look for a trend.

Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 12.26.11 pm?.png

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    late 2012 mini w/SSD
    Read about PCVARK and Duplicates Cleaner here:
    PCVARK plays dirty - Malwarebytes Labs | Malwarebytes Labs

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by okizen View Post
    Thanks guys. Unfortunately DetectX Swift has also flagged the app (Duplicate Cleaner) as infected. I don't understand why this is. I assume all third party apps would have to go though a test for both malware and virus infections before being allowed onto Apple's App Store. How do I allow DetectX to ignore its Duplicate Cleaner's findings so as not to have it flagged?
    You whitelist it just as I had to do with a couple elements of CleanMy Mac 3

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    @Rod

See last two posts above #9, 10.

Enough to think about removing said app (if possible!!) and getting another, wouldn't you say?

It's not as if there weren't dozens++ to choose from.

Ian
    Ian

Thanks Ian, gsahli and Rod. So if Duplicates Cleaner is malware, what harm does it actually do?

Your Mac's Specs
    Itís an interesting question. For some reason CleanMy Mac X has 5 files in Application Support ( Library). These are the files Iíve whitelisted. They all pertain to the ďhelperĒ app which I have disabled. I have been using CMM for over 3 years now as has my wife with no ill effects and the app does have full system access in Privacy and Security preferences. So in the end itís up to you. You could allow DetectX to remove the offending files and see if the app still works or which parts donít.

Your Mac's Specs
    The thing is I suppose, DetectX sees something as a potential threat. This is based on known definitions and how strictly it applies them will determine what it defines as a threat.

Thread Information