Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Canít find startup disk
    I have a new 2019 MacBook Pro. Using Migration Assistant, I migrated the content of my old 2012 MacBook Pro. Unfortunately all the problems with networks settings and system transferred with it so I decided to wipe the hard disk and start again. Unfortunately I get the flashing question mark and it doesn’t respond to Command R. It can’t find a startup disk. What do I do next?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    Last edited by Simol; 05-29-2019 at 07:22 AM.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    How did you ďwipeĒ the HD (SSD)?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Command R on startup. Delete hard drive from drop down list. Yes SSD.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Simol

I think I know what've done

Give this article a read. I'm hoping that by using Option-Command-R or Shift-Option-Command-R, you can install the appropriate OS from the Internet (ie Apple).

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

It does depend on which OS shipped with your Mac, but I'm assuming it was macOS Mojave (or unlikely, macOS High Sierra). It's all explained in the linked article.

Please let us know how it goes.

And if you do get an OS on to your system, maybe we could advise you how to avoid the previous problem

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    We need to be sure that the Recovery Partition is gone too because it will make things a lot easier if itís still intact.
    Turn the device off.
    Turn the device on and press the command+R keys simultaneously until you see this window.

Command R failed to get the response because the O/S was deleted as well! However, Command and Options and R allowed me to reinstall the O/S. Now can I use Migration Assistant to get my applications and data without installing the network and system problems in my creaking 7 year old MacBook Pro to new machine?

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    What network and system problems were you having? Can't really tell what will transfer until we have some idea what the problems are.
    Jake

Very slow machine. Apps very slow to load. Endless wheel of death. Mail apps intermittently working. I could continue.
    There are three options in Migration Assistant. 1. Applications 2. Data. 3 Network settings.
    If I take the first two and not Network settings, should I be ok?

When I am confident I have everything off the old Mac and the new one is working well, I will do a factory restore on the old Mac which just might give it a new lease of life and itíll be a good reserve machine.

Your Mac's Specs
    Nothing you have described seems to me to be network related. The machine being slow could be full hard drive, full memory, failing hard drive, lots of things. Apps being slow to load sounds definitely like a hard drive problem. Ditto for beachball. Mail apps intermittently working could maybe be network but much more likely a mail provider issue. Might also be associated with a failing hard drive depending on whether or not the drive acts up just as Mail is trying to work.

That said, if you migrate Applications and Data and then setup the network manually, that should eliminate the network as a problem.

Do you run any antivirus/booster/helper/third party utility products? They can really slow down a machine needlessly.
    Jake

I have four email addresses and all four would intermittently get an exclamation mark alongside and that address would stop working. That problem
    transferred to the new Mac when I used Migration Assistant with Networking ticked. I need my apps and data but donít want to mess up a very expensive new MacBook!

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Simol

Command and Options and R allowed me to reinstall the O/S
    Great news. So please that worked for you. That's the way to go when you've wiped the Mac's Drive.

And thank you too, for coming back, as suggested, to seek advice on not repeating the fiasco that happened before. Must have been soul destroying to see a brand new Mac rendered pretty useless.

Jake made some very wise remarks:
    Nothing you have described seems to me to be network related. The machine being slow could be full hard drive, full memory, failing hard drive, lots of things. Apps being slow to load sounds definitely like a hard drive problem. Ditto for beachball. Mail apps intermittently working could maybe be network but much more likely a mail provider issue. Might also be associated with a failing hard drive depending on whether or not the drive acts up just as Mail is trying to work.
    @Jake: Every thing you said is spot on, but full HDs, Full memory, failing HD etc, shouldn't have transferred over to a brand new Mac, should they??

So, it seems reasonable to me that your suggestion of only transferring Applications and Data should be safe? Then ask poor Simol to set up the rest manually? Four email accounts and so on. It's a tiresome business, but I don't see any flaws in that arrangement. Do you?

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, Ian, I think the setup for email is in the app settings, not Network, so if he transfers apps, the settings for emails should transfer. The only network settings would be the login information for his own router, plus maybe any VPN information he may be using.

As far as your thought on the ideas I offered not transferring, you are correct, but his symptoms for why he got the new machine don't seem to point to networking as much as internals. Which means that NOT transferring network is not likely to sort it out, either. What Simol said was:
    Unfortunately all the problems with networks settings and system transferred with it
    and then later:
    Very slow machine. Apps very slow to load. Endless wheel of death. Mail apps intermittently working. I could continue.
    To me, those two statements seem to be a bit contradictory. First the issue was network settings (the system does NOT transfer at all with MA, so I discounted that part of the quote) and then slow operations, none of which seemed directly related to network. What is still not clear to me is exactly what the real issue is that Simol is trying to fix with the new system. However, if he does migrate just his data and apps, the network settings won't move, but the mail settings probably will, as I said. And if part of his apps are the things I asked about (Antivirus, etc), then when they migrate they will create the same mischief on the new system as on the old. I think we could use more information to be able help him better.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Personally I wouldnít be using Migration Assistant at all. Assuming that your new device is running OS Mojave which is a different filling system many of your older apps will require updates itís probably just as easy to download fresh versions and probably quicker. I would just copy the data and media.

Your Mac's Specs
    Honestly I would be taking the opportunity to start out afresh rather than transfer a lot of old baggage that may cause conflicts or corruption. Just like a ďcleanĒ install. The only things that really need to be transferred are photos, movies, documents and any music that you may have imported from DVDís or CDís. Simon you havenít mentioned which macOS you were using on the 7 year old device. Was it El Capitan or Sierra or earlier?

Thread Information