Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

New User password...

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac Sierra Mac OS 10.12.6
    New User password...
    Hi All,
    I would like to pick a new user password but don't know how (without screwing up my computer's master password and my administrator password).

So, here's the background. Recently I got an iMac from a friend. It got wiped of all memory and I basically started over from scratch with Mac OS Sierra (10.12.6). At that time, I set a master password for this computer and an administrator password and a user password. These were all the same password, so, in other words, all I have is one very long, complicated password that I have to enter every time I use my iMac. Now, I would like to simplify my user password but keep my master password and administrator password as they were. I live alone and and I am the only user for this iMac. I am also the administrator. Is this possible without altering the master password and the administrator password and, if so, how do I accomplish this?

Thanks for your expertise,

Bob M.
    Last edited by Bob M.; 05-19-2019 at 12:29 PM. Reason: I left out a word

New User password...
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob M. View Post
    Hi All,
    I would like to pick a new user password but don't know how (without screwing up my computer's master password and my administrator password).

So, here's the background. Recently I got an iMac from a friend. It got wiped of all memory and I basically started over from scratch with Mac OS Sierra (10.12.6). At that time, I set a master password for this computer and an administrator password and a user password. These were all the same password, so, in other words, all I have is one very long, complicated password that I have to enter every time I use my iMac. Now, I would like to simplify my user password but keep my master password and administrator password as they were. I live alone and and I am the only user for this iMac. I am also the administrator. Is this possible without altering the master password and the administrator password and, if so, how do I accomplish this?
    Hi Bob - here's an Apple KB article for High Sierra; or just go to System Preferences -> Users & Groups - the dialog box below appears (I'm on Mojave) - may have to 'unlock' - but simply choose the user in the left hand column and change to the desired password - should not impact your other PWs. Dave

P.S. also if not clear, look at this KB article on the type of Apple user accounts that can be setup on the iMac.
    Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 1.11.10 PM.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

New User password...

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac Sierra Mac OS 10.12.6
    Hi RadDave,

Thanks for your reply.
    My computer has the same options available to me as yours when I click Users & Groups. However, it seems like mine is set up slightly differently.
    Yours says 'David - admin' and then 'test account - admin' and Guest user - enabled managed. Mine say Bob M. - admin and then it says guest user - off so it looks to me that if I change my password, it will change the administrator password - something I don't want to do. I just want to have an easier, shorter password for when I power up my computer on an everyday basis. If I want to re-configure something or change a locked file, something I might do on occasion, then I'd like to be able to revert and use my current administrator password which is longer and at least for me, harder to type in (and have it be correct). My old MacBook computer had this ability to have multiple passwords for one guy - one as an administrator and then another as a user. I just haven't found out how to do it yet.

I don't know if this is even possible but I'll keep trying to implement this idea of mine.

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

Bob M.

New User password...
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Just create another account and leave it as a standard account without admin privileges. Assign it a short and easy to remember password and you can use that to log on with. Note that if you do need to install an app or make changes that require admin access, you'll need to log out and then log back in as admin.

Thread Information