Attention: Please checkout the new Mac-Forums Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Additional details in the "News & Community Announcements" thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Browser Upgrade

Browser Upgrade
    J have an older imac with 10.6.8, I'm told Chrome will no longer supprt that version and I need to upgrade my browser. I've tried to download a new version of Chrome or Firefox neither of which work with this OS. What do I need to do to get upgraded?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Peter

Browser Upgrade

Your Mac's Specs
    late 2012 mini w/SSD
    It will help if you tell us which Mac you have. In "About this Mac" (in the Apple-icon menu) it will say something like mine does - Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.5 GHz i5.

Browser Upgrade
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Welcome.

This Link discusses your problem. It suggests browsers compatible with Snow Leopard. In particular, you will find a link within the article which claims you can get an early version of Opera. There are other suggestions too.

Link: What Is the Best Browser for OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard? | Low End Mac

Ian
    Ian

Browser Upgrade
    J have an older imac with 10.6.8, I'm told Chrome will no longer supprt that version and I need to upgrade my browser.

I guess I have to ask the question here — is your Chrome version not working with all the sites you want to visit or do with it??

IMHO, just because the developers say they are no longer going to support that version has never been a reason for me to upgrade, especially if the application is still working for everything I need to do with it.

And as great as the site that Ian provided is, I dare say that it's a bit dated having being published in 2015 and a lot of things have changed. Just saying...

But as gsahli asked, if you supply your Mac model specs, you may have other options such as upgrading your operating system if it will handle it. If that is possible it would give you more options.

- Patrick
    ======

From the list that Ian posted, I used to use Camino for the longest time and I liked it, but then Camino didn't keep updating their browser for the newer versions of macOS and I was forced to change.
    iCab is another browser that offers a SL compatible version, it's not mentioned in the list.

Firefox and Chrome, if you can find those old versions, seem to be the most capable, just not the most efficient or the quickest.

Browser Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by grafxking View Post
    J have an older imac with 10.6.8, I'm told Chrome will no longer supprt that version and I need to upgrade my browser. I've tried to download a new version of Chrome or Firefox neither of which work with this OS. What do I need to do to get upgraded?
    I still have an old iMac in my office running OS X 10.6.8 so that I can still use some legacy software. So I've run up against this problem.

Safari in OS X 10.6 is tied to that version of OS X. It can't be upgraded without upgrading the entire OS. Unfortunately Safari in Snow Leopard has become severely dated and it is now unstable and incompatible with some Web sites.

Also unfortunately, many modern third party Web browsers aren't compatible with OS X 10.6.

The perfect solution would be to find an older version of a modern third party browser that isn't so new that it doesn't support OS X 10.6, but which is new enough that it supports all or most modern Web technologies.

Fortunately, Firefox has an archive of all past versions for download!

This version of Firefox is a close to ideal compromise. It is fairly modern, it supports HTML 5, and it is completely stable under OS X 10.6:

Firefox (48.0.2) (free)
    Directory Listing: /pub/firefox/releases/48.0.2/

You can set Firefox to be your default Web browser within Firefox:

Firefox menu --> Preferences --> General --> Always Check That Firefox Is Your Default Browser
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Browser Upgrade

Your Mac's Specs
    Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5
    Here is a regularly updated browser specifically for snow leopard (and powerpc linux).
    Downloads * wicknix/Arctic-Fox Wiki * GitHub
    and an intel port of TenFourFox for snow leopard.
    Releases * OlgaTPark/tenfourfox * GitHub

Cheers

Browser Upgrade
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    I think I would have to second Randy B Singer's suggestion for the early version of Firefox, it will open almost anything and it was quite stable even then.
    You should however bear in mind that you are using an unsupported OS meaning no current security updates leaving you unprotected from security breaches of many types dependant on your use. For example I would not be conducting internet banking via a web browser on Snow Leopard. I wouldn't even risk it on macOS 10.14 without a VPN.
    This raises another question which occurred to me some time ago. Are there any VPN services compatible with OSX 10.6.8 ?
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Browser Upgrade
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Browser Upgrade
    Just to answer my own question here, I did a little searching and found there are indeed a few VPN apps for Snow Leopard.
    It is advised that the OSX 10.6.8 v.1.1 update be applied first but this article mentions a few possibilities.
    Lastly given that some current VPN apps can be hard to uninstall I would suggest a full system backup before trying any of these rather old versions.
    Having said all that a VPN would certainly go a long way towards improving online security for unsupported versions of MacOSX.
    Vpn For Mac 10.6 8 - download

Download free VPN Unlimited for macOS

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    Last edited by Rod; 05-16-2019 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Addit
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Browser Upgrade
    I've tried to download a new version of Chrome or Firefox neither of which work with this OS.
    A bit OT, but this brings up another point that I find really annoying, and that is there are so many developers and their sites that can't even be bothered to list the minimum OS System Requirements, even for fairly recent applications, and one has to waste their time downloading it to see if it will even possibly run.

There should be a law mandating such specs be included, and another one insisting that every web page should be dated according to its published date, but that's another topic and another PITA with some internet stuff.

At leat some cataloging sites list the OS requirements like Download the best Mac apps : MacUpdate but it's not complete enough, even if the site is only used to check.

OK, early morning rant finished...

- Patrick
    ======

Browser Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    A bit OT, but this brings up another point that I find really annoying, and that is there are so many developers and their sites that can't even be bothered to list the minimum OS System Requirements, even for fairly recent applications, and one has to waste their time downloading it to see if it will even possibly run.
    It is a requirement for Apps that are listed in the Mac App Store and the iTunes App Store. I know you stated developer's sites.

An interesting thread over in MacRumors recently discussed a problem with the developers of Disk Warrior and their requirements plus the fact they do not offer a refund. And that the latest version of DW does not yet support APFS. The point was made that for a utility that costs $119.95, the developers could do a whole lot better.

The argument was made that Apple was late in releasing the inner workings of APFS. The counter argument was.... well, then how come the developer of CCC was ready with a new version as soon as APFS was announced?

There are good developers and then there are the other ones...

Browser Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I'm disappointed to hear that about DW. I used to keep a copy around in the days when Disk Utility was not very good at fixing errors. I didn't have to use it often but when I did it was very helpful. Haven't had it on my drive in a few years because I wasn't using it enough to justify the upgrade cost.

Let's assume that Apple was indeed late to release the necessar details for APFS support, in my mind that doesn''t absolve the developers of DW from blame. I could live with having to wait a few weeks for a relable utility but I think it's reasonable to expect them to warn me about that before I part with some hard earned cash.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Browser Upgrade
    The argument was made that Apple was late in releasing the inner workings of APFS. The counter argument was.... well, then how come the developer of CCC was ready with a new version as soon as APFS was announced?

Interesting. And I stand to be corrected, but my understanding was the developers of each application, both of DW and CCC were each Apple engineers or Apple developers at one point and before they went on their own. And if such is correct, I would think they would both have some contacts left available to keep them in the Inside Apple OS knowledge loop.

DW used to be almost mandatory in a Mac tech's toolbox IMHO and my copy certainly did its fair share of repair and recovery over the years, but I haven't needed to do any update, but neither will I likely be exposed to any need to, especially without getting near any APFS formatting stuff.

- Patrick
    ======

Browser Upgrade

Your Mac's Specs
    Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
    I think I would have to second Randy B Singer's suggestion for the early version of Firefox
    Why recommend a 3 year old browser when there are other newer browsers available? Pale Moon 27 supported 10.6 until october of 2018. Arctic Fox (a fork of PM27) continues where PM27 left off, and Tenfourfox also has 2 intel ports. All of them are more current than Firefox from 2016.

Browser Upgrade
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    @Patrick If I were the developer of either program (CCC or DW) I don't think I would count on any remaining contacts at Apple for inside informamtion. It's a pretty good bet that Apple has anyone with that level of knowledge on a non disclosure agreement, Given that Apple has been rather agressive about enforcing such agreements in the past, I doubt someone would risk their jobs/careers.

Apple's not perfect but every time I hear that they hasn't given a developer the right information early enough I take it with a grain of salt. In the System 7 days we purchased a program to run on our LC II. It seemed like every time we tried a cut and past the program crashed. The tech support person I talked to told me that Apple had changed the clipboard format without much advance notice. An update was released later (after more than a year IIRC). If the reviews were to be believed, the bug was still present. Lets just say I did not buy the upgrade.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Thread Information