Attention: Please checkout the new Mac-Forums Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Additional details in the "News & Community Announcements" thread.

Finder sidebar / Favourites & tabs
    Hi everyone!
    This is my first post, so please guide me in case I commit any mistakes.

In Finder, there's three standard 'tabs': They're Favourites, Locations and Tags.
    I was wondering if there's any way of adding more tabs to get my workflows organised (ie. Clients, Assets, Renders).

I'd use each tab to keep shortcuts to multiple folders on each of those categories.
    If iOS doesn't support this function, would you mind pointing at any third party software which offers this?

Many thanks for your time and help,

You cannot add more "tabs", but you would use the Tags section to categorize your documents. If you were to tag your file with Clients, Assets, Renders. They will be available on under Tags for you to quickly inspect them. You cannot create hierarchies here, so you'll have to create tags that are client specific but that might get ugly and long.

On the other hand, if you only ever work with a small number of clients at a time, you could use tags like "Client A - Asset", "Client A - Renders" and "Client B - Asset" and just select those for now. Once you are done with those two and moved onto Client C, you could unselect A and B and keep just C in place. That way you are looking a smaller set of files with those tags, as opposed to ALL files for ALL clients that are Assets or Renders.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Finder sidebar / Favourites & tabs
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

Ashwin has given you a lead in and great advice it is too.

Whilst accepting that dozens or even hundreds of tags does get "ugly and long", there are ways of dealing with this.

I have around 200 tags. I often add several tags to one file. When you create tags, they are displayed in the Sidebar in alphabetical order; which is a help.

However, you can also use Spotlight to help you. Open Spotlight and type kind:tags then a space then the name of the tag you want. For example kind:tag client A That will bring up everything under that tag.

Just try to be creative in your use of tags. Think ahead.

BTW, you can change the name of a tag later on if you want to. I can cover that if/when you need to.

Thanks for your post.

Ian
    Ian

Thread Information