Thread: Apple documents

Apple documents

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac OS 10.13.6 with 8Gb memory
    Apple documents
    I've been going through very old files, and many are now labelled 'Apple document'. A double click only reveals 'Import error: The document was created with an unsupported version of AppleWorks.'

I can open these files with TexEdit, but only the words, and these are interspersed with odd characters at random.

I cannot get at any diagrams that were originally in these files.

Is there a way of avoiding the spurious characters?

How can I retrieve the diagrams?

David

Try opening the files in Pages, Numbers or Keynote depending on the type of file. You might have some formatting issues, but it might get the bulk of it right. LibreOffice is able to read the documents, but will not do anything about drawings.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Apple documents
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    As you may know...AppleWorks (and some versions known as ClarisWorks) first came out in 1984...and the last version released 2004 (end of life was 2007). Thus some of these files could be super super old.

I'm not sure if there's an app that could import those old AppleWorks files completely. One way to do it would be to setup an old Apple computer capable of running an older version of the Mac OS or Classic Mac OS...and installing a version of AppleWorks necessary to open the files.

You could also experiment with other word processing apps to see if they can import these files (older versions of MS Office, older versions of the various free Office suites like Libre Office, Open Office, etc.).

I would say that considering how old some of these AppleWorks files may be...the fact that TextEdit was able to actually open one of these old files & display at least some readable text...is a miracle in itself.

- Nick

p.s. Ashwin beat me to a couple of the suggestions.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Apple documents

Your Mac's Specs
    Opening with Pages produces the same error message.

I had been able to open these old files on my previous computer, but some time ago that suddenly refused to turn on. Pressing the on button behind the screen has no effect. Is there any other way I can turn it on?

Apple documents
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by fielker View Post
    ...on my previous computer, but some time ago that suddenly refused to turn on. Pressing the on button behind the screen has no effect. Is there any other way I can turn it on?
    Can't really begin to answer this question until we have a general idea of what model Apple computer it is. Sounds like it could be an iMac.

I know this may sound like a crazy question...but have you checked to be 100% sure that the power cable is inserted fully (on both ends)...and that there are no issues with the power cable?

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Apple documents

Your Mac's Specs
    Yes, the last computer is an iMac.

The power cable is attached at the computer end, and I have checked the connection, which seems to be OK. I thought it might be a fuse, but the plug is one of those integrated ones that doesn't open up! Everything else connected to the same multi-socket board is working.

Apple documents
    Your Mac's Specs
    If the power button on that computer has failed in some way...it is possible (from the inside) to cut the power button off and jump either the two power button wires...or...jump the pins in the socket that the power button cable plugs into. This of course is not for the "faint of heart". The much better solution (if the power button has failed)...is to replace it.

Do you have any reason to believe this computer failed to power on for any other reason than the power button failing? Many times the power button will "sort of work" before it completely fails.

- Nick

Apple documents
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Give Libre Office a try - a free download.

Apple documents
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Randy, a member here, created this site about macOS "Office Suites", Macintosh Word Processors. Something there might open those files for you.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Apple documents
    Quote Originally Posted by fielker View Post
    I've been going through very old files, and many are now labelled 'Apple document'. A double click only reveals 'Import error: The document was created with an unsupported version of AppleWorks.'
    How can I retrieve the diagrams?
    Here is a very detailed guide for migrating old Appleworks files to something more modern:

Abandoning Appleworks - page 1
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Apple documents

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks to all for your help. I've downloaded LibreOffice. I've tried it out on an AppleDocument which has a couple of pages of type plus photos, and everything is opened. However, photos are over the text, and what I can't do is:

1. Group, say, a photo with its caption and frame.

2. Wrap text around photos.

David

Apple documents
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    David, I don't think you are going to be able to edit the old documents. What you can do, however, is to capture the images (Maybe that they can be saved from the document in LibreOffice? If not, maybe you can use screen capture to capture them to a file?) and then copy out all of the text and insert it into a new LibreOffice document where you can then put the saved images in and do those edits on that NEW document. I think that is about the best you can hope for.
    Jake

Apple documents
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Maybe you only have "read access" to the document?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Apple documents

Your Mac's Specs
    I suppose I was expecting LibreOffice to offer the same functions as Pages. In fact the particular files I was looking at I also luckily have as PDF. Otherwise, I think that practically all my old AppleDoc files I have deleted, so I can't get at them anyway except by going back in Time Machine. Still, if I do come across any more in my searches I shall know what to do.

Thanks again. David

Thread Information