Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Get Kernel Panic from Clean Install of High Sierra
    I have an iMac mid-2011 model. It came with 10.6.6.

I used a High Sierra USB, held down the option key. Formatted the disk using disk utility first. Then chose the USB installer. Then Clicked agree on installing High Sierra. It says installing for about 8 minutes. Then it reboots after it's done and it gets a kernel panic that says on a gray screen with an opaque power logo "Your computer restarted because of a problem. Press a key to continue starting up."

Over and over.

I have tried El Capitan with the same results.

I have tried to do First Aid on the disk and it checks out ok. Also did Disk Permissions and the same thing happens.

When i restore back to the original via a Time Machine backup, the mac runs fine.

I need to upgrade it due to it being out of date.

Please Help i'm Stuck

What version of the OS is the Time Machine restoring? If that is working well, then you can just use the installer from within that installation and do the upgrade. You don't have to do it from scratch (while that is a good thing to clear up old stuff).
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Your iMac may need a firmware update? See if this Apple Support document helps, About the SMC Firmware Updates - Apple Support? There is a link to the firmware download files in the document.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Have you tried starting up using Safe Boot Mode??

Mayby the clean install wasn't quite as clean as you think, and using Safe Boot Mode will be a good way to check.

To do so, press and hold the shift key when you boot up and keep pressing down the shift key until you see a spinning gear.

If it boots up and runs almost normally, you probably have a really bad software conflict. Kernel panics are not usually caused by an issue with the Mac itself, but they are usually caused by software that was installed, left behind or maybe a problem with some connected hardware.

Try disconnecting any unnecessary peripherals.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    What version of the OS is the Time Machine restoring? If that is working well, then you can just use the installer from within that installation and do the upgrade. You don't have to do it from scratch (while that is a good thing to clear up old stuff).
    It installs Lion.
    So when it was in Lion and i tried to do the upgrade it says "You have not verified your Apple ID. Tap OK to review the instructions on how to verify your Apple ID." Loop problem. I can't sign in. The Apple ID is fine on other products.
    So after days of messing around with that i just tried to do a clean install.
    I am currently doing an Internet Recovery, let me finish that and get back to you after trying the upgrade from there.

- - - Updated - - -

I will look into that next

No matter what i do i can't get into safe mode. I have tried to hold down the shift key on both sides and no gear. It just pops up with the Apple logo and the bar it reboots and shows the same msg "Your computer restarted because of a problem. Press a key to continue starting up."
    There is only a USB mouse connected, Original blue tooth keyboard, Ethernet cable, and power cord. Nothing else.

No matter what i do i can't get into safe mode. I have tried to hold down the shift key on both sides and no gear.

The timing to get into Safe Boot Mode can be very fussy at times.

Try doing so with a cold boot and after the Mac has sat off and idle for 30-40 seconds, then only press the shift key as soon as you hear the boot startup chime, not before and not delaying to do so after the chime.

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 05-03-2019 at 08:06 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    When using a bluetooth keyboard, you will have to press the shift button down twice after a restart.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    When using a bluetooth keyboard, you will have to press the shift button down twice after a restart.

I didn't know that and never noticed it was necessary, but just as the man says:
    How to Start Up in Safe Mode
    Start up your Mac while holding down the shift key. Keep the shift key depressed until you see the login window or the desktop.

If you’re using a Bluetooth wireless keyboard, don’t press the shift key until you hear the startup chime. If the shift key is depressed before the chime occurs, the system will ignore the shift key signal and continue to boot normally.
    Safe Mode & Single-User Mode: What They Are, How to Use Them | Other World Computing Blog

- Patrick
    ======

Ok so i performed an Internet recovery, it worked perfectly. Once up i checked and did all updates until it said there were no more updates.
    I am trying to upgrade to any newer OSX, el capitan for example. When i click Get, i get the login for my apple id which i put in. The it tells me " The Apple ID has not been used in the App store." The 2 buttons available are Cancel and Review. I click on Review and then another box pops up and says "Software Update Required" the 2 buttons are Cancel and Learn More. Which then just brings me to an Apple website which doesn't help.
    The Apple ID works and can login and verify info and yes it does have a valid credit card. One weird thing is it doesn't show any Devices that have been logged into.
    Now i'm stuck in the loop.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    This was a very useful tip and link. It was quite unknown to me. Thank you Bob.

Got me wondering how you boot into Safe Mode with the latest Macs (including Desktops) that have no chime if you are using a Bluetooth Wireless Key board?

Ian
    Ian

Got me wondering how you boot into Safe Mode with the latest Macs (including Desktops) that have no chime if you are using a Bluetooth Wireless Key board?

Ditto!!

Let us know if you discover the answer Ian.

I think I did read how somewhere but it didn't make any sense so I didn't let it take up any of my valuable small brain space.

- Patrick
    ======

Now i'm stuck in the loop.

What OS X version have you actually ended up with and did any or all Updates actually work and update???

Sorry if I missed that fact if you already mentioned it.

- Patrick
    ======

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    My limited research provides little comfort, Patrick.

The frequently mentioned option when there is no chime is: "use a wire keyboard".

Bob's point about waiting till after the chime is reiterated several times with explanations of why this is and the repeated mantra of "use a wired keyboard".

See here in this Apple Discussions Forum from January this year: How to do safe mode with wireless keyboard - Apple Community

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    What OS X version have you actually ended up with and did any or all Updates actually work and update???

Sorry if I missed that fact if you already mentioned it.

- Patrick
    ======
    I am back to 10.7.5, all updates are done and it works perfectly. I did mention i am stuck with Apple ID Loop and can't upgrade it still.

Thread Information