Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
    This workflow starts by splitting the selected PDFs into separate PDF pages.
    Thanks LB,

Is splitting the pdf into separate pdf pages really necessary?

As I have been emphasizing in my previous posts - I just need to automate the function I get when I open a pdf in preview and then save that pdf as a jpg in preview.
    This will give me a jpg of the first page only of that pdf which is what I want.

Seems the workflow you developed will give me a jpg of every pdf page of each pdf document, so if I have 1000 pdf documents of 40 pages each, I would get 40 000 jpg pages rather than just 1000 jpg pages.
    Or am I mistaken in that?

Does anyone use Automator on a regular basis?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Kind of the same thing has happened to MS Office macros. I can remember working on a macro and debugging it numerous times but when all the macro virus scares occured in Windows, it seems like no one is really writing them anymore.

And believe me, macros will save you a ton of work especially if you're working on a long document or a complex Excel spread sheet.

I seem to remember there was a site that specialized in already written Apple Scripts, does anyone know if it still exists?

I seem to remember there was a site that specialized in already written Apple Scripts, does anyone know if it still exists?

Were you thinking of "Doug's Apple Scripts" which seems to have changed rather drastically from what I remember:
    Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes >> dougscripts.com

Then, of course there was the old HyperCard and its scripting that some could get it to do some incredible stuff, but alas, no longer supported or working these OS X days. :-(

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
    Yeah, AutomatorWorld is very severely outdated. I was dumbfounded that the one I pointed out was PPC-only. That's just awful. The site clearly has effectively been abandoned. It's a shame because Automator is one of those little gems that adds a lot of utility to OS X. Unfortunately even Apple seems to have abandoned it also considering no new actions have been added in ages.
    I noticed the same thing recently when I went there for the first time in about two years or maybe more. Even before Apple basically abandoned it they made changes to some action steps that broke some workflows I created and I never really found a good replacement action. One of them even got a positive comment from Aple's own Sal Saghouian.

I remember Doug's AppleScripts but I think Charlie might have been referring to MacScripter.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Were you thinking of "Doug's Apple Scripts" which seems to have changed rather drastically from what I remember:
    Yep, that's the one. You have a good memory Patrick!

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Yep, that's the one. You have a good memory Patrick!
    I don't know if and when the name changed to "Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes", but I recall it being a bit more applescript general and not just related to iTunes as it now seems to be.

I'm sure there's another site that also has or had a lot of applescripts but I can't think of its name at the moment.

It really is a software gem of the OS X world but unfortunately it seems to be generally overlooked.

Even Mac OS X Services, could do with some improvement and better implementation IMHO.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Even Mac OS X Services, could do with some improvement and better implementation IMHO.
    Services is a very little used feature. I use it with MS Office and also Pages since both apps support Apple services. The catch is that if you need to use services between several apps, both have to support it.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Thanks LB,

Is splitting the pdf into separate pdf pages really necessary?
    Yes. There is no action available to render just the first page to a jpg. It’s all or nothing. The workflow I came up with pre-splits them so you can tell which is page 1.

As I have been emphasizing in my previous posts - I just need to automate the function I get when I open a pdf in preview and then save that pdf as a jpg in preview.
    This will give me a jpg of the first page only of that pdf which is what I want.
    You could write a script that takes a list of PDFs; opens one in Preview; passes the keyboard commands to do what you want; closes Preview; repeats the process for the next PDF. That’s above my pay grade though. EDIT: Actually, Keyboard Maestro would be really great for this.

Seems the workflow you developed will give me a jpg of every pdf page of each pdf document, so if I have 1000 pdf documents of 40 pages each, I would get 40 000 jpg pages rather than just 1000 jpg pages.
    Or am I mistaken in that?
    That is correct. I already explained that and what to do. It’s easy. Easier than me spending hours figuring out how to automate it. It will take mere seconds to filter it yourself. Is there a reason why you can’t do that?
    Last edited by Lifeisabeach; 05-05-2019 at 02:37 AM.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Well done+++ Lifeisabeach.

I'm not allowed to give you reputation points.

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Services is a very little used feature. I use it with MS Office and also Pages since both apps support Apple services. The catch is that if you need to use services between several apps, both have to support it.

Yup, and this sounds like an endorsement of what I said above:
    Even with a bit of improvement and better implementation, there's a chance it may get better use. Especially if it had better global and application interaction. And I don't mean just expanding "homekit" services!!! Gheese, gimme a break please...

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information