Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Help importing video from a home DVD player
    I'm working on a project for graduate school admissions and I'm running into challenges. I recorded a video of myself leading worship in our church. I need to get the video into iMovie, so I can edit it to 20 minutes and upload it to YouTube.

Our church video camera is old (2007). It is a Canon DC330. It uses an SD card but only for still photos. It uses the small DVDs to record video. I opted to use DVD-RW. I have been unable to get either a PC or Mac to recognize the camera because it uses mini usb out from the camera and into the USB-Type A input on the computer.

I have found that I can play the DVD on our Sony BDP-S1500 DVD player. It has a HDMI output.

So here's where I need help. I either need to be able use the camcorder and convert from USB Type-A male to Firewire 800 on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro Mojave 10.14.4 or go with the DVD player converting from HDMI to Firewire 800. I'm not finding any such adapters or converters. Is that true.

My last resort will be to play the DVD through the Sony DVD player and use iMovie and webcam to capture the video and audio of the TV (poor quality though).

Can anyone help me out?

Converters from HDMI to Firewire or USB 3.0 seem to be very expensive.
    There is this one at $US 700.-
    DVI2USB 3.0 - High performance USB video grabber
    and this one which seems to have been discontinued
    https://www.amazon.ca/Grass-Valley-A.../dp/B00HSZ6XSI

Can you not either:
    Get a player with a USB output that plays the miniDV's you recorded?
    or
    Get some outside service to copy the video on the miniDV's to a format that you can import to your Mac or get them to record it on a USB flash drive
    or possibly use this combination:
    An EasyCap viewer which I have used to record home movies we had on VHS tapes
    Easycap USB 2.0 to 3 RCA Audio S-Video TV DVD VHS RW Capture Converter Adapter Cable - Newegg.ca
    along with a unit like this to convert HDMI to composite videohttps://www.amazon.ca/GANA-Composite-Converter-Supports-DVD-Black/dp/B06X6HBQDH/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=small+dvd+player+with+USB+out put&qid=1556157135&s=gateway&sr=8-16

These are just ideas that you have to research a bit more.

I know the EasyCap Viewer works, but you have to make sure you get the right version that will work with the Mac drivers.
    And I could not get audio to work through the unit, so I connected the audio directly to the Mac
    Last edited by krs; 04-24-2019 at 10:45 PM.

Maybe I jumped the gun with my previous post.

The original post sounded like all you need some means to get the video recording to be transferred from the MiniDV to the Mac.
    But unless the "transferring device" also does video conversion, you also need to convert the Mini-DVD format to mp4.

For a 'one of' or even a few, my preference would be to just get an outside service to do that.
    They have professional equipment nd you would get the results - I have used them in Montreal and they charge by the length of the video.
    So for one or a few videos, it wasn't worthwhile to get the equipment and the hassle of doing it yourself.

Oh Boy - I'm way off base with my previous comments.

Just looked at the specs of the DC330.
    It uses standard 8 cm mini-DVD disks, not miniDV cassettes

Can you not play those on a regular DVD player?
    Not the slot loading one but the top loading type.
    The video format is MPEG2, so you would then need to convert MPEG2 to mp-4; lots of software available to do that.

I ended up using a PC in our church Sanctuary. I dowloaded an open source program called Handbrake and was able to load the video directly from the computers DVD player. Handbrake converted the video to MP4. Then I transferred it to my MacBook Pro with an external hard drive and uploaded it into iMovie. It worked pretty well. Thank you for your suggestions!

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Nice Job. Glad you found a solution.

This process can be done entirely from the Mac side if one keeps the folowing things in mind:
    1. External try loading DVD drives can often play these mini discs. Some of these drives seem to do better with an adapter to help play these discs.
    2. I strongly suggest that you don't feed mini discs into slot loading drives (such as those built into Mac notebooks and some iMacs). It's not unusual for mini discs to get stuck in these drives. If that happens there is a good chance you will damage the drive trying to remove the disc.
    3. Handbrake is available for the Mac (as is other open source and commercial software to do the job).
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

I ended up using a PC in our church Sanctuary. I dowloaded an open source program called Handbrake and was able to load the video directly from the computers DVD player.

Well done and welcome to what appears to have been a self-help trip to mac-forums.

In case you need it with your Mac, and in case you didn't know, Handbrake is available for use with Macs as well:
    HandBrake 1.2.2 free download for Mac | MacUpdate

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information