Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Changed Macintosh HD to ox operating system and cant repair to be able to reboot OS
    Ive tried every forum, made the mistake or putting a bootable usb where the mac hd is and then go to reinstall operating system and asks where to put OS but nothing comes up, tried reinstalling HD, partition and nada works, I'm so close but the HD has lost disk image and no just at a standstill as what to do......
    Last edited by pigoo3; 04-23-2019 at 06:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Changed Macintosh HD to ox operating system and cant repair to be able to reboot OS
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    What do you mean by this, "made the mistake or putting a bootable usb where the mac hd is"? What Mac model and year are you working with?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

mac mini 2010, tried a bootable disk, did a few things and ended up changing macintosh hd to mac osx
    the mac would then boot up and start the install but ask for a HD to install into and was vacant, nothing to install into as the HD was the install disk, that make sense? So erase HD through disk utility, tried to repair erare etc but no disk image or each time i restarted and pushe alt and tried to reinstall operating system it just went through motions and then greyed out, restsrt with command R and mackitosh hd is greyed out, wont let me erarse or restore or partition. Stuck

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    It sounds like the internal drive has died. Do you know what version of Mac OS X/OS X was installed?

I don't know if this is something you may want to try to repair/replace yourself, but here is the ifixit.com page for the 2010 Mac mini, Mac mini Mid 2010 Repair - iFixit. Look at the procedure to replace the drive, to see if you feel comfortable attempting it.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    If the OS was properly installed at least initially...you should have the Recovery Partition to boot into to get things sorted.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    If the OS was properly installed at least initially...you should have the Recovery Partition to boot into to get things sorted.

- Nick
    They said the get to Recovery, but when starting to install, the drive is grayed out.
    -- Bob --

In disk utility, i click on 500.11gb Hitachu HT, verify disk and get 'Error Storage system verify or repair failed'. I then repair disk and get same error!

Your Mac's Specs
    late 2012 mini w/SSD
    Another indication the hard drive is dead. Replacing the hard drive is very easy.
    Mac mini Mid 2010 Repair - iFixit

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    As others have suggested...with a 2010 Mac-Mini (9 years old)...very very possible the hard drive has died or at least failed to the point that it's not responding to being able to do certain tasks.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information