Thread: Removing DRM

Removing DRM
    Firstly let me apologise for my previous post about removing DRM from a Kindle Book.
    The book in question was a digital download and paid for by myself from Amazon.
    I had read it was possible to remove the DRM in order to print out.
    There were sections I wanted printing for my own reference, I had no intention of using it
    otherwise and I am against piracy of any kind.
    Once more sorry for the inconvenience. 🙄

Removing DRM
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    No appology needed. I thought it was pretty clear that you wanted excerpts from the book for personal use. It's also an important consideration when attempting to backup our digital purchases.

Unfortunately, in the US at least, the current interpretation of copyright law seems to take the view that you are purchasing the right to use something rather than the actual good itself. In that view, the right to determine how you use something remains with whomever owns the right to the song, book etc. The law in other countries is somewhat different.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Removing DRM
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    How that applies to the Kindle is really for the protection of Amazon. Since it's obvious that if I buy a paper copy of a book, I can give to whomever I wish after reading it.

Also, as I mentioned before, Kindle is so strict with their products that you can not even back them up with Time Machine, CCC, SuperDuper, etc, for your own use. I stopped purchasing Kindle books some time ago because of that and the fact that if you lose a book from your library, it may no longer be available for download.

I'm back to buying paper copies of books.

Removing DRM
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Have to agree when it comes to books in the Kindle format, We're not buying in that format anymore either.

I do have several audiobooks from Audible which I can back up -- or could the last time I tried to do so. Wonder how long that will last?
    Kevin Durant

Removing DRM
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I know that our laws here in the US regarding DRM and fair use is very controversial, but I also know that at one time piracy of digital products was wide spread. However, even some of the more prolific journalists who write about these things admit that engaging in fair use copying is okay.

You probably notice that nowadays very few developers provide a copy of their program on disc, or if they do, you usually must pay extra.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Also, as I mentioned before, Kindle is so strict with their products that you can not even back them up with Time Machine, CCC, SuperDuper, etc, for your own use.
    I don't buy Kindle books either, but there are Kindle to pdf converters if one wants to make a backup - do these converters not work?

Removing DRM
    Your Mac's Specs
    You won't get any objection from me about the need to change our thinking a bit about copyright law and specifically the way fair use is interpreted.

The problem mentioned earlier with Kindle books not being available for re-download has already happened with some msic that was in my iTunes library. A few years ago I had to recreate the music library from scratch. For the tracks I had purchased from iTunes I decided to re-download them from the iTunes Store. My purchased music was there except for one compilation of Folk music originally released by Vanguard. Of the thurty or so tracks only three or four remained available for purchase through iTunes. I assume this boiled down to Apple no longer having the rights to provide those tracks. Fortunately I had a backup of that stuff.
    Kevin Durant

Thread Information