Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connecting Snow Leopard and Windows 10 Home

Hi there!

After some time connecting both machines by FTP I'm tried to share folders between them but I didn't find the way.

It seems that the main problem is that Snow Leopard uses SMBv1 and Windows 10 Home SMBv2. I tried to find SMBv2 for Snow Leopard but was not possible.

Is there any way to share folders between these two SOs?

Thank you!

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Hi and welcome from Barcelona, one of our most favourite cities.

I don’t think it is possible given the huge gap between Snow Leopard, eight versions behind the current operating system for Mac, Mojave, and Windows 10 which is their latest version.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Do you want to;

Access the macOS system or folders from winOS, or do you want to access winOS system or folders, from macOS, or both? How did you originally set it up?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Try these suggestions. This should be possible even with Snow Leopard. I can't test it at the moment though because the monitor on my Win 10 box is down for the count at the moment. When you enter the password to the Windows account I don't remember whether or not it has to be preceded with a $.

If these directions don't work let us know. I may be able to test this shortly.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    It should work. I have an older iMac here with Mountain Lion on it which is a bit newer OS but still old and my Wimdows 10 boxes pick it right up. I can from Finder transfer files to Win 10 and from Windows to the Mac also.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    @Papalapa Give these directions a look. It describes how to turn on SMB support on the Mac side. As the Article indicates, the process is essentially the same in Snow Leopard and forward.
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Yes. Slydude is correct. SMB has to be enabled for Windows Network Shares.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    I should have mentioned that earlier. I thought SMB sharing was off by default in OS X but I wasn't sure till I did a little more digging.
    Kevin Durant

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Do you want to;
    Access the macOS system or folders from winOS, or do you want to access winOS system or folders, from macOS, or both? How did you originally set it up?
    I want to aceess the macOS shared folder (just one folder will be enough) in order to copy files from Win10 to macOS. What I actually do is to start the FPT server on macOS and connnect from Win10, but to activate FTP on macOS I need to send a command using the console because Snow Leopard has not the same way than Tiger for example, where only clicking "FTP" in Shared options activates or deactivates the FTP service.

Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    @Papalapa Give these directions a look. It describes how to turn on SMB support on the Mac side. As the Article indicates, the process is essentially the same in Snow Leopard and forward.
    Many thanks but I already done these steps before.

If I try to connect from Win10 to Snow Leopard I get the message on Win10: "It is not possible to connect to the shared resource because is not safe. This shared resource needs the obsolete SMB1 protocol. Win10 requires SMB2 or higher.

If I try to connect from Snow Leopard to Win10 I get the message on macOS : "Connection error. An error has occurred when connecting to the server 192.168.1.199. Check the server's name and IP and try again".

So, that's why I asked if there's any way to install SMB2 protocol on Snow Leopard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Thank you, of course it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    Try these suggestions. This should be possible even with Snow Leopard. I can't test it at the moment though because the monitor on my Win 10 box is down for the count at the moment. When you enter the password to the Windows account I don't remember whether or not it has to be preceded with a $.

If these directions don't work let us know. I may be able to test this shortly.
    Thank you Slydude but the problem is the same, when I try to connect I get the message on macOS : "Connection error. An error has occurred when connecting to the server 192.168.1.199. Check the server's name and IP and try again".

On the other hand the connection from Snow Leopard (iMac G5) and Tiger (iMac G4) works like a charm....

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    On the other hand the connection from Snow Leopard (iMac G5) and Tiger (iMac G4) works like a charm....
    Just as an FYI, Snow Leopard will not run on PPC (G5) tech, it is intel only.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks for the clarification. I thought you were having more general issues connecting from Snow Leopard to Windows 10. I've done a little more digging and so far I haven't had much luk finding good info about SMB 2 and Snow Leopard. Much of what I have been seeing is an ongoing argument regarding Apple's support for SMB 2 support.
    Kevin Durant

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Just as an FYI, Snow Leopard will not run on PPC (G5) tech, it is intel only.
    Then I'm wrong because I was thinking that mine was a G5. This is the model: iMac "Core Duo" 1.83 17-Inch (IG) Specs (Mid-2006, MA406LL/A, iMac4,2, A1195, 2110): EveryMac.com

As you can see in the picture, to the left there's the G4 and to the right the G5 ¿?

It is true that in the "About this Mac" right one shows iMac 4,2 model while the left one shows PowerMac 4,2. Then I have two G4 ¿?¿?

Your Mac's Specs
    If the "About This Mac" info is showing a model identifier number of iMac 4,2 it's not a G5. It is indeed an Intel based Mac. It is relatively early in the changeover to Intel but it is not a G5.
    Kevin Durant

Thread Information