Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Both threads have been combined.

Please do not start a new thread when the subject matter is the same or leads on as the same.

Thanks.
    Thank you, but I completely disagree that they are the same. The nature of this thread was not being able to install a new OS, and happened to mention the monitor issue.

The new thread is about not being able to boot a a Mac unless it has an external display connected, and has nothing to do with an OS install.

The subject of this thread is about having problems installing an OS, and that is not the current issue that I have. If someone scanning these thread titles in these forums happens to have experienced the same issue with external displays then they will not find my post.

I appreciate you helping but in doing so you have removed ALL of the detail that I posted related to the problem I am having with the Mac not booting without an external display connected.

With the greatest of respect, I believe I am right to post a new thread. Thank you.

Can't reinstall MacOS on 2011 iMac
    The new thread is about not being able to boot a a Mac unless it has an external display connected,

I'm just wondering if perhaps the System Prefs > Displays options are set incorrectly, and is it set as the primary display to the internal display, so that the menubar etc will appear on the internal display and not on the disconnected external display?

I don't know if it would matter or not but well worth checking I would think.

Just a thought...

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    One would also think an NVRAM or SMC reset would restore defaults?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by glastoveteran View Post
    The new thread is about not being able to boot a a Mac unless it has an external display connected, and has nothing to do with an OS install.

The subject of this thread is about having problems installing an OS, and that is not the current issue that I have. If someone scanning these thread titles in these forums happens to have experienced the same issue with external displays then they will not find my post.
    But we are taking about the same iMac, right?

So if I followed all this correctly, the iMac will boot up if at least one external display is connected, but it will not completely boot up if no external display is connected.
    Maybe resolve this issue first before trying to install a new OS.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    One would also think an NVRAM or SMC reset would restore defaults?

One would think so, at least in theory.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    I appreciate you helping but in doing so you have removed ALL of the detail that I posted related to the problem I am having with the Mac not booting without an external display connected.
    Have to disagree. We've been at this long enough to know when threads are related and should be combined. Also none of the details you posted have been removed - as stated, the threads were combined.

Thread Information