Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Save a System Report in other than .SPX format
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Air (early 2015) MacOS High Sierra

I need to send a System Report to a WebMaster and when I save the file, it is in .SPX format!! Is there a way to convert this file to .PDF or other suitable format in order to eMail it with the capability of being opened by the recipient??

Any and all input appreciated!

Thanks.
    To Golf or not to Golf?; What a stupid question!!

Explain how you are exporting it and where you are doing it. Please don't assume we know what you are talking about.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    I am also in the dark about your exact requirements, but I found an article which says that the file can be opened on a Mac using the (free) VLC app by videolan - can be downloaded from: Official Download of VLC media player for Mac OS X - VideoLAN

This is the article: SPX File - What is it and how do I open it?

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Thanks for that info Ian. In previous versions of the OS there was an option to save the system report as a text file. I didn't realize that had been removed but apparently it has been. I can't find it in Mojave.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Geez, RazOrEdge - take a "Chill Pill" and lighten up!! I'm trying to be as concise as possible with this post!! That said, I've had a request from the particular WebMaster of this online gaming site to provide my system info due to problems accessing it's BlackJack platform.
    I saved my System Report in order to eMail it but it's been saved in the format .SPX. So, I'd like to be able to save it as a .TXT or .PDF file in order to eMail same and have the recipient be able to open it successfully!
    What other info would you like me to provide?

Your Mac's Specs
    Hi IWT (Ian):

Thanks for your response. I guess I'm in the dark as to why a System Report would be saved as a .SPX file in the first place? When researching exactly what a .SPX file is I found it is an AUDIO file which can be opened by VLC. Why would this file be d/l and saved as an AUDIO file and not as a .TXT or .PDF or similar?
    Any instruction/direction you might provide is appreciated.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Slydude:

Thanks for your response. I too, am puzzled by the fact that there doesn't seem to be an option to save the System Report as a .TXT or similar!

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    What you're failing to comprehend is, we are not seeing what you are doing. Only you see that. If you want to explain all the steps you did, then we can go from there. If not, have fun.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Ferrari:

1. Clicking Apple logo > selecting About this Mac > selecting System Report > save file to Dropbox > copy and paste to an eMail to the WebMaster (PlayOLG.ca) !

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I just read something which led me to believe that using the Print dialog to save as a PDF wiuld work but that only shows the basic info on the first screen not the entire report.

The article did suggest saving the file with the usual .spx extension then changing the extension to .xml The resulting output will be butt ugly but can be read by any one of several programs.

I can't say why the .spx format was chosen given its association with audio but it might have soemthing to do with making the output more accessible to users with visual impairments.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Quote Originally Posted by jmac0408 View Post
    Ferrari:

1. Clicking Apple logo > selecting About this Mac > selecting System Report > save file to Dropbox > copy and paste to an eMail to the WebMaster (PlayOLG.ca) !
    Oh look, instructions so that we can all follow along and be on the same page. There is absolutely no value in trying to be short in your posting here since we just end up with multiple posts trying to gather all the info before we can help you.

Anyway, a SPX file is an XML file with a format so that System Report can parse. You can view the file with any text editor. Converting to PDF will not yield you any real value. The receiver of the file can parse the file for anything specific they are look for.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    I am possibly being overly sensitive to the tone of your responses. So, let's acknowledge that I'm a NEWBIE and you are far more intelligent and experienced than I. That said, how would you go about performing the following task:

I need to/want to, send a copy of the generated file from System Report in an eMail to a recipient in order that they can view all the info contained therein.

Appreciate any and all direction you might provide.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Do you need all the information from every section, or only the hardware overview?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac0408 View Post
    I am possibly being overly sensitive to the tone of your responses.
    Yes, you are. Ashwin simply asked you to tell us exactly what steps you took. We can't see what you type or what you click or what prompts you get in response. So to be able to assist at all, we need to know what you did and saw. If anybody overreacted, it was you, not Ashwin.
    So, let's acknowledge that I'm a NEWBIE and you are far more intelligent and experienced than I.
    Nobody said anything about intelligence. No reason to be that sensitive about it.
    That said, how would you go about performing the following task:

I need to/want to, send a copy of the generated file from System Report in an eMail to a recipient in order that they can view all the info contained therein.

Appreciate any and all direction you might provide.
    Just send the SPX. It's a text file in XML format. If they cannot read it, then we can see what else might do. Might help if they were a bit more specific about what they are looking for, too, as "Send a System Report" is a pretty broad demand. Sounds like a Windows-centric website. The Windows System report is a text file listing out the hardware/system software versions, as I recall. The macOS system report is a bit more robust and is stored in XML format. Given what you say they asked for, I suspect all they really want to check on is the version of some graphics files, or system files. They should be able to refine the question to make better sense in a Mac environment. Or, if they ARE Mac-savvy, they may be able to read the .SPX file as it is.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Processor: Intel® core Duo or higher
    RAM: 1 GB of available RAM & 2 GB of total (installed) RAM
    Hard Drive Space: 1 GB of free hard drive space
    Screen Resolution: 1024 x 768"

This is the info requested for which I think I need to send the System Report.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    OK, that really does help. Run System Report. All that information is in the very first screen, labelled "Hardware Overview." You can then either screenshot it and send the picture, or just select it by clicking at the start of the text, then holding down and dragging to the bottom until it's all selected, copy and paste to a text file. I would not send the serial number, but that is up to you.
    Jake

Thread Information