Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Why would I need to repair disk permissions after a completely fresh OS install

Just did a completely fresh install of High Sierra from a bootable USB installer. After installing everything looked good, upon the first reboot the progress bar moved very slowly and after 30 min of it still not booting I rebooted with the installer and ran a Disk first aid to repair the disk permissions. This fixed the problem and everything booted fine.

I was curious why this happened so I formatted the drive again and reinstalled from scratch. Again I had the same problem with the same fix. I tried making the disk with the command line tool, DiskmakerX and Install Disk Creator. All produce the same problem.

So my question is why would I need to repair the permissions after a clean install? Something must be a little wacky with the installer. I would rather not start out with a not perfect install.

Also, is there another source for the FULL High Sierra install. I download it from the Apple App store but it was only the 6MB on-line installer. I used DOSdude patcher to download the full 22GB version (didn't use the patch, just the installer files) and then tried th 3 methods I mention above to creat the USB installer.

I think your problem is with this DOSdude patcher which I am not familiar with.

I made a High Sierra installer USB flash drive, it fits very comfortably on an 8 GB flash drive. I don't have it here to check but I think it was around 6 GB, nowhere near the 22 GB you quote.

BTW - Are you installing it on a Mac that officially supports High Sierra?

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I think your problem is with this DOSdude patcher which I am not familiar with.

I made a High Sierra installer USB flash drive, it fits very comfortably on an 8 GB flash drive. I don't have it here to check but I think it was around 6 GB, nowhere near the 22 GB you quote.

BTW - Are you installing it on a Mac that officially supports High Sierra?
    It is an iMac 2015 that definitely supports HS.
    My mistake! The stub installer is 22MB and the full installer is around 6GB.
    But I think it has to be the DosDude download that is causing the problem. Any other sources for the full installer?
    Last edited by JackPollack; 04-04-2019 at 09:19 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OSX 14.4 Mojave,
    Don't use Windows software for anything Mac.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Heres another example of why I use a clone via CCC. The last erase and Clean Instal I did was via a macOS installer. Then I reintroduced all of my content by "drag an drop" from the clone.
    It's time consuming of course but all of my primary data, libraries and files can be done in a couple of hours. Email settings and accounts all restore from iCloud.
    Setting the System Preferences again usually means different settings and prferences which is not a bad thing, pays to revisit these settings from time to time. (changed my Appearance settings and highlight colour to orange which looks cool with the Dark Mode)
    Third party apps take a little longer often its easier to just download new installers.
    The end result is a clean start with no leftover stuff from the previous OS. Literally got rid of Gb's of stuff that I've never missed.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    That Mac supprts High Sierra. If you download the files from the App Store you should get everything you need to complete the installation. No need for the DosDude patcher that I can see.

@Harry That's not Windows software it's just the name of the site.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

It sounds to me as if JackPollack doesn't just want to install High Sierra, he also wants to make an USB Flash based HS installer.

I don't remember how I made mine, but it wasn't as straight forward as for the earlier versions of macOS.

Maybe someone can point him in the right direction to make an HS USB installer.

Quote Originally Posted by JackPollack View Post
    Just did a completely fresh install of High Sierra from a bootable USB installer. After installing everything looked good, upon the first reboot the progress bar moved very slowly and after 30 min of it still not booting I rebooted with the installer and ran a Disk first aid to repair the disk permissions. This fixed the problem and everything booted fine.
    I don't know what you installed, but if First Aid included a feature to "Repair Permissions," it wasn't High Sierra. Disk Utility in OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) and later still has "First Aid" which is the equivalent of what used to be called "Repair Disk".
    Repair a disk using Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support
    but since El Capitan, Disk Utility no longer has the "Repair Permissions" feature, because it is no longer necessary. Permissions are immutable in El Capitan and later.
    OS X: El Capitan’s Deletion of “Repair Disk Permissions” Could Impact You – The Mac Observer

You can use some third party utilities to repair permissions, but frankly I'm not sure doing so is a good idea.

Might you be miss-stating what you did? Could you mean that you ran a "repair disk", not a "repair disk permissions"?
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Thanks everyone for your posts.
    Let me clarify a few points as I can see this thread is going in all directions.

Ultimately I am trying to create a bootable USB installer for HS. I just replaced the hard drive on that computer so it is completely blank (except for my previous attempts at installing). I can't use internet recovery because the computer is in a location with very slow internet, so I want o create a installer on an off-site computer.

The HS installer I download from the app store is just the installer stub, it is not the full installer needed to create a USB installer.

I have made many bootable installers for previous OS versions, the problem is that I cant get a full version that is "clean". The only full version I have found is the DosDude one which apparently is slightly modified.

and yes, Randy B. Singer you are correct it was "disk first aid" that fixed the reboot (as I said that computer is off site so when I am posting about it is always from memory).

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    2015 iMacs, came with either 10.10 or 10.11, so Internet Recovery should work.

Use the Mac operating system that came with your Mac, or a compatible newer version - Apple Support

Also, have you tried Apple Diagnostice, How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Does this link help you find the full installer? Download Older Versions of macOS and Mac OS X - krypted.com
    Jake

Nope - this link (Download Older Versions of macOS and Mac OS X - krypted.com) just takes me to the app store and download the same small installer stub

Quote Originally Posted by JackPollack View Post
    Ultimately I am trying to create a bootable USB installer for HS. ...the problem is that I cant get a full version that is "clean".

MacOS 10.13 - High Sierra - FREE
    Connecting to the Mac App Store
    Click on the download button in the upper left.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    MacOS 10.13 - High Sierra - FREE
    Connecting to the Mac App Store
    Click on the download button in the upper left.
    I thought we went through this about two weeks ago on this forum.
    When you download from the Apple store, the download on the upper left, all you get is an initial installer "stub" not the complete installer to be able to create an install USB flash drive from.

For Sierra and the earlier macOS's that download provides the whole installer but not for High Sierra.

Thread Information