Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @ Patrick - Your pm mailbox is full

Why would I need to repair disk permissions after a completely fresh OS install
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    @krs, I don't know if you saw this thread, but it describes, the "stub" installers do a firmware check, /Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.a… - Apple Community.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    @krs, I don't know if you saw this thread, but it describes, the "stub" installers do a firmware check, /Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.a… - Apple Community.
    Thanks,
    No I had not, but I suspected that Apple did a check on the Mac High Sierra was going to be installed.
    And in the thread the suggestion is that this is required because of the change in formatting.

Which then begs the question - if one manages to get the full installer and runs it without the firmware check (and if a firmware update is in fact required for that Mac), will one then end up with a pretty, but rather expensive paperweight?

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    I know it seems like Apple is deliberately making things hard but I wonder if their thinking is; if you can run HS why wouldn't you just download and install Mojave? You can create a USB installer from the app store Mojave installer using DiskmakerX Mojave version.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

I know it seems like Apple is deliberately making things hard but I wonder if their thinking is; if you can run HS why wouldn't you just download and install Mojave?

Well it certainly seems that Apple is definitely making things difficult for users to download a full previous OS Installer, but their thinking as you suggest is pretty stupid when they keep insisting on users like myself download Mojave that isn't even supported to run on my 2011 iMac!!!

What do they really have against users who want to download a full installer I wonder??? No doubt they'll say it's something to do with some sort of security protection!! Nice try Tim!!

Nonsensical and sloppy.

Actually, I really wonder about some of the full Installer downloads when I compare some of the screenshots I see on the web compared to what I I have downloaded and saved. I wonder how many different versions are actually out there and available, or if it even makes much difference.

My copy's Get Info is on the left below:

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 5.38.44 PM.png

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 04-08-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Thread Information