Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Why would I need to repair disk permissions after a completely fresh OS install
    When you download from the Apple store, the download on the upper left, all you get is an initial installer "stub" not the complete installer to be able to create an install USB flash drive from.
    I don't know about any "stub" version, but the "Install macOS High Sierra" file I downloaded and stashed from the App Store last year is a pretty good 5.23GB in size.

I would think that should be a pretty complete macOS installer.

I wouldn't think it would make any difference that I am using Mavericks 10.9.5.

- Patrick
    ======

There was a long thread on this subject here several weeks ago.

Apparently some people did get the full HS installer (which is about 5.2GB) whereas many others only got, what we now call the install stub of 19 or 22MB, depending where you check.

And if you search the net on how to create an HS install USB disk, if you only have the 22MB "stub", they will refer you to the dosdude1 website which is actually a website showing you how to patch the software to install HS on some unsupported Macs, but that site has also a download of the complete HS installer.
    So other sites tell you to get the complete HS installer there (and forget the patch part), however it seems that the installer from that third party site has it's problems since that is what Jack started with.

There has to be a reason why some people get the full installer and others only the 'stub'
    My guess is that it depends on the actual Mac they have that Apple thinks they want to install HS on, however, I have not come across any explanation on the net why.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    I’m using macOS 14.4, and whenever I update the OS, my “Instal macOS Mojave” installer in my Applications folder disappears. Then I have to open the App Store and download the file again.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Bob, that's not unique to Mojave. All of the installers self-delete after installation. It's been that way for the last 5 or 6 releases. To keep the installer, you have to interrupt the installation, copy the file out of the Applications folder and then run it to do the installation. The copy in Applications will go away, but the copy elsewhere should survive.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Bob, that's not unique to Mojave. All of the installers self-delete after installation. It's been that way for the last 5 or 6 releases. To keep the installer, you have to interrupt the installation, copy the file out of the Applications folder and then run it to do the installation. The copy in Applications will go away, but the copy elsewhere should survive.
    I'm sorry, but I've never come across, a full installer, being removed from the Applications folder, after only installing an update through the macOS App Store?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

@ferrarr (Bob)
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    I’m using macOS 14.4, and whenever I update the OS, my “Instal macOS Mojave” installer in my Applications folder disappears. Then I have to open the App Store and download the file again.

I keep the macOS Installers I might need in a seperate "Installer Stuff" folder at root level, and add a modifier to their name that seems to keep them safe, maybe that will help:

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 9.31.45 AM.png

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 04-07-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I think you (Bob) and Jake are talking about two different situations. I think what happens is as follows:

1. If one is doing an upgrade from a previous version, (High Sierra to Mojave for example), you will get the full installer because you don't have the version you are downloading.
    2. If you are applying a minor update to the system you have installed you do not get the full installer. In this case the system sends you an updater that is not the full installer. It probably contains just the files that have been modified.

Full installers do indeed delete themselves and have for the last several OS versions. That's part of the reason there was such an uproar when some users could no longer download previous versions of the OS. People hadn't saved the file, or created installers, because they expected to ne able to download them.

I think the thread member krs is referring to dealt with a different situation where some users went to the App Store and instead of the full installer they got a 20 - 30 MB file. This file may appear to some users to be the full download but it isn't. If you get that file, the various processes/directions for making installers will fail if you use that file.
    Last edited by Slydude; 04-07-2019 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Added info about full installers and clarified comment.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    I keep the macOS Installers I might need in a seperate "Installer Stuff" folder at root level, and add a modifier to their name that seems to keep them safe, maybe that will help:

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 9.31.45 AM.png

- Patrick
    ======
    No need, I can download the "updated" full installer, as now my installer is version 14.4.08.
    -- Bob --

Question??? And maybe a bit OT here, but can anyone explain to me why I no longer have any macOS installer version after El Capitan shown or listed in my App Store purchases???

I have previously downloaded Sierra and High Sierra, but neither are showing in my App Store Purchases. All can work with my 2011 27" iMac.

I have a feeling I read somewhere that Apple killed something in that list, but I can't recall correctly, or the reason why.

It seems to me that Apple just does not like anything to do with consistency these days, nor do they need a reason!!! Silly me!!

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Question??? And maybe a bit OT here, but can anyone explain to me why I no longer have any macOS installer version after El Capitan shown or listed in my App Store purchases???

I have previously downloaded Sierra and High Sierra, but neither are showing in my App Store Purchases. All can work with my 2011 27" iMac.

I have a feeling I read somewhere that Apple killed something in that list, but I can't recall correctly, or the reason why.

It seems to me that Apple just does not like anything to do with consistency these days, nor do they need a reason!!! Silly me!!

- Patrick
    ======
    What version of Mac OS X/OS X/macOS are you installing?

Right now, I'm running Mojave, and I have any versions of Mac OS X/OS X/macOS showing in my App Store Purchased section. However, if I were to install Yosemite, I would see all my previously purchased versions of Mac OS X/OS X/macOS, with the exception of Sierra and High Sierra, and even Mojave was listed there.
    -- Bob --

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    I think you (Bob) and Jake are talking about two different situations. I think what happens is as follows:

1. If one is doing an upgrade from a previous version, (High Sierra to Mojave for example), you will get the full installer because you don't have the version you are downloading.
    2. If you are applying a minor update to the system you have installed you do not get the full installer. In this case the system sends you an updater that is not the full installer. It probably contains just the files that have been modified.

Full installers do indeed delete themselves and have for the last several OS versions. That's part of the reason there was such an uproar when some users could no longer download previous versions of the OS. People hadn't saved the file, or created installers, because they expected to ne able to download them.

I think the thread member krs is referring to dealt with a different situation where some users went to the App Store and instead of the full installer they got a 20 - 30 MB file. This file may appear to some users to be the full download but it isn't. If you get that file, the various processes/directions for making installers will fail if you use that file.
    It doesn't matter, each time I have updated macOS 14 (Mojave) through System Preferences, the full installer in Applications, disappears from my System.
    -- Bob --

- Patrick
    ======
    The exact same thing happened to me.
    Actually had Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave listed, downloaded them to make installers - on HS I only got the 22MB stub, but the others were the full GB versions - and now they are gone.
    Apple must be busy moving these installers all over the place since many of the links on the various Mac sites that post links to various macOSs now point to the wrong places - easy enough to do by Apple

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    It doesn't matter, each time I have updated macOS 14 (Mojave) through System Preferences, the full installer in Applications, disappears from my System.
    You're quite right. My comments were intended to focus on what seemed to be some confusionn about whether installers self-deleted once the process was complete. I should have made it clear that the deetion procees applies to both updates and upgrades no matter what the size of the files.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

The exact same thing happened to me.
    Actually had Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave listed, downloaded them to make installers
    PS: Did you get my PM reply for the URL source to dowwnload the full (almost 5GB) HS Installer?
    ie: via How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support
    If you still need macOS High Sierra, use this App Store link: Get macOS High Sierra.
    Click the link on that line.

- Patrick
    ======

PS: Did you get my PM reply for the URL source to dowwnload the full (almost 5GB) HS Installer?
    ie: via How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

Click the link on that line.

- Patrick
    ======
    Yes, but that download gives me the 22MB shorty.

I then stop the install at this point (see pix) since going further would actually install the software right now which is not want I want at this point.
    Or should I go further ????

PS: I'm on a 2012 Mini running ElCapitan when I do this; Wednesday the 2017 MacBook air will be back, I can see if using that makes a difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information