Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

BT Mouse & KB don't work when booting to USB Recovery
    I have a iMac 27-inch, Mid 2015 the Bluetooth MagicMouse & BT keyboard connect and work perfectly while the OS is loaded. I am able to hold down the option key on the keyboard to get to the boot selection menu and while in the boot selection the KB and mouse are connected. If I choose to boot to anything other than the main OS (ie a bootable USB OS installer with Disk Utilities) the keyboard and mouse are no longer connected or detected. I just get the no mouse / KB connected message and it searches for wireless devices. I am forced to connect a wired KB and mouse to do any setup or repairs.

I have tried turning the mouse and KB on and off. I have tried with several other BT keyboards (both the regular battery models and the new rechargeable models). I have tried resetting the hardware BT module.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Maybe try either/both NVRAM/SMC resets?

NVRAM is here, Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support, and SMC is linked near the bottom of the Document.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Zapped PRAM and SMC but same issue

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    For mine always hav e a wired kb and mouse on hand for upgrades etc as it does happen BT does not load before the system starts Recovery, etc.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Like Harry I keep a wired keyboard around for just such an emergency.

Here's one other thing you can try that sometimes works for me. When you try to use the keyboard don't hold down the Option key before the boot chime or while it's happening. Do it immediately after the chime. That has happened to me a few times.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    That's not right. The Apple Magic Mouse, Magic Keyboard, and Magic Trackpad should work as soon as the recovery screen opens up. As a matter of fact, on my 2017 27" iMac the mouse works fine (I can move the cursor) while the machine is booting to recovery.

Both BT and USB should continue to work in recovery same as when in normal mode. I can't speak for other than Apple devices as they may or may not work correctly in recovery. However, Apple devices are designed specifically to work.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    You're right Charlie. I can only think of two situations where I've experienced similar behavior:
    1. Some third-party keyboards and mice can be a bit twitchy in the situation the OP has described.
    2. If the keyboard/mouse are low on power their behavior can be quite erratic. IIRC I've experienced similar behavior when I let the battery get down to 1 or 2 percent power and haven't recharged them.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    I had this issue going between either Sierra to High Sierra, or High Sierra to Mojave, I forget which. I also have a USB keyboard and mouse around for this issue.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    I had an issue when I enabled FileVault on my wife’s Mac mini. On rebooting, it demanded I connect an Apple mouse or trackpad even though there was a Logitech mouse already paired by bluetooth, and it wouldn’t progress to the login screen. I wound up plugging in the Logitech Unifying Receiver that the mouse was paired to and I was able to then get to the login screen. What’s bizarre is that the keyboard (a Matias model) worked even though it was paired by bluetooth. This just makes no sense to me. This problem never went away. As long as FileVault is enabled, using a non-Apple bluetooth mouse appears to be out of the question.

When I booted up my new iMac, I faced a similar problem. It basically demanded I use the keyboard that came with it to continue setup and never prompted me to pair a bluetooth keyboard (also a Matias model, which I was able to pair and use just fine after setup was complete). I likely would have had the same problem with my mouse but I already had its Unifying Receiver plugged in. This all just strikes me as a very odd security feature. The nice thing about Logitech gear is that with the Unifying Receiver, the computer basically sees peripherals using it as USB wired devices.
    Last edited by Lifeisabeach; 04-18-2019 at 02:11 AM.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information