Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Un-Encrypting External Firewire hard drive?
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    @Patrick

I hope I never give offence and I certainly never take it.

Things have changed with the later Operating Systems. In macOS High Sierra and presumably macOS Mojave, Keychain detects the requested log in or PW and not only provides it, but logs you in automatically. This came about recently with the later updates.

Otherwise, I agree with you. Keychain has many noble features and is Apple's way of saying, in effect, "you don't need third party PW Managers" (My quote marks). Let us suggest a strong PW never previously used, store it and sync it to all your devices that have sync turned on.

No argument there.

I was merely suggesting that if some data is precious enough to require additional encryption (on your Mac or on an External Hard Drive or in FV) it might be a good idea not to save the PW in Keychain. Removes a vulnerability.

I won't lose sleep over this if you don't.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    +1 for what Patrick mentions, Keychain Access is a useful tool for security & passwords.

What is Keychain Access on Mac? - Apple Support
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Things have changed with the later Operating Systems. In macOS High Sierra and presumably macOS Mojave, Keychain detects the requested log in or PW and not only provides it, but logs you in automatically. This came about recently with the later updates.

That sounds a bit strange and maybe a step backward or two from what you say, add maybe add that as yet another reason while I'm still back with mainly using Mavericks.

But there must be something wrong somewhere as Tim Cook and others keep pounding how serious they are over security and user protection.

And have they removed the option to use "Remember Me" or not when browsing etc???
    But that seems to depend on what browser one uses these days and some don't seem to rely on Keychain Access as Safari seems to have done, but keep their own passwords for various sites.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Safari does keep its own passwords and fills in the form when you browse to the login screens. The account information is also kept in Keychain, or maybe Safari looks there, but if you open Safari/Preferences/Paswords, you will be asked for your login password to unlock, and to then expose the password you click on it. It also syncs via iCloud across devices, which is nice. But I store other things in my 1Password besides just passwords. I have security questions and answers, software licenses and registration codes, drivers license, passport and other ID information stored there as well. Basically 1PW is a "safe" in which I store a lot of stuff that Keychain/Safari don't.

So, if passwords to websites are all you need, then Safari will do. But if you want to more, a third party will be required.

Kind of like backups. Time Machine works, but for other purposes you might want CCC or SD.

As for "remember me" that prompt is provided by the sites, and if you say "remember" they put a cookie on the system to remember you. If you then run OnyX or clear history or cookies, you won't be remembered any more. Safari does ask if you want to keep the password, if that is what you are referring to. So does 1PW.
    Jake

Where does 1PW actually keep the information?

I assume it must be in the cloud somewhere - that in itself would give me heartburn.

Your Mac's Specs
    Where you keep the data is up to you. 1PW keeps the data on your device, or you can sync across devices in multiple options. It can use Dropbox or iCloud to sync, and has a "Folder" option as well, which I would presume means it would be synced into a folder, then you move that folder to another device and sync from the folder to the files. The sync files are encrypted end-to-end. Here are the details: Keep your secrets & passwords safe and secure | 1Password

BTW, if you use Keychain, it, too, will use iCloud to sync across devices. I don't know the encryption standard there at all.
    Jake

But I store other things in my 1Password besides just passwords. I have security questions and answers, software licenses and registration codes, drivers license, passport and other ID information stored there as well. Basically 1PW is a "safe" in which I store a lot of stuff that Keychain/Safari don't.

Hmmm...??? I've been doing the same similar things just using the various options that Keychain Access.app provides for years.

So, if passwords to websites are all you need, then Safari will do. But if you want to more, a third party will be required.
    I don't really know what "more" one would need over what Keychain Access can provide. Especially when utilizing many of its various serarate catagories.

But if a user prefers using a different password application, or secure storage app, by all means do so, but Keychain Access does that and more for all my needs.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Do you store that other information (Driver's license, passport, etc) as a Secure Note? That's about all I could find that MIGHT do that.

Does Keychain sync across brands? I.e., can it sync to an Android phone? Windows PC? Not that I have any, but that a lot of folks do, and 1PW can sync across them just fine.

I'm not selling 1PW, I have no financial (or any other) interest in it, but it has worked very well for me for a long time. Keychain is good, but for me, 1PW just works smoother and better.
    Jake

Do you store that other information...
    A lot of it yes, but I failed to mention that I don't even use iCloud Keychain, nor do I even need it or anything it might offer. Just some simple plain KISS protected important data. And some not even Mac related!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information