Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Keeping network shares from disappearing in Finder sidebar
    Just upgraded one of my laptops to High Sierra. The network shares that I have added to the favorites section of the Finder sidebar keep disappearing every few days. I'm sure this is happening when I take my laptop off of my network and the shares are no longer available, but it is a pain to have to keep adding them when I get back to my network. I'm not clicking on these links when they are not available, they just disappear on their own. Older versions of the OS didn't do this.

Any way to lock these in? or a startup script that will add them when they disappear?

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Thanks, but trying to connect to a share while not on that network is going to fail. Also the loss of the sidebar icon is not just after a restart, it happens if even if the computer is sleeping and then moved to another network.

I tried making the finder preference plist read only, but got an error that I dont have permission.
    Also wonder if there is a setting to disable Finder sidebar link validity checking

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    The system is acting as designed. You are not connected to the network, hence not connected to the drives and they won't show in the sidebar. I don't know of any way to disable the sidebar checking for the drive, nor why anyone would want to do that. There is no point in having a drive in the sidebar that is not there. I put the drives I want mounted in my login items in System Preferences/User & Groups and they connect (or try to) at login. Then in the Sidebar options (Finder/Preferences/Sidebar) I have checked "External Disks." Any and all attached drives are then shown in the sidebar. If I move away from my network, when I return the drives are not mounted, but I just logout and back in and they all attach.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    @MacInWin, I remember old networked shared drives reconnecting when I was re-connected to my home network.

@JackPollack, what are the network shares connected to? winOS, Linux, or macOS, or ir it a server/NAS setup?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Bob, I've never been able to have networked drives automatically connect just because I've rejoined the network. IF there is a way to do that, I would love to know it. I have always had to log out and back in to trigger the login stuff. Maybe an AppleScript?
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Bob, I've never been able to have networked drives automatically connect just because I've rejoined the network. IF there is a way to do that, I would love to know it. I have always had to log out and back in to trigger the login stuff. Maybe an AppleScript?
    Jake, it's been so long since I've had a MBP that I took out of the house, I don't remember how it was set up. It was at least 4 OS versions ago. Also, it could have something to do with the winOS that was being used that I was connecting to. I do have a lot more issues now that Win 10 is being used on all of the PC's in our house. Up to Win 7, it was easy to re-connect, but again, that was with older version of Mac OS X/OS X.
    -- Bob --

Thread Information