Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

download from anywhere
    in system prefs/ security and privacy the section allow apps downloaded from: has only two options app store and app store and identified developers how do I get the option for Anywhere to show up and be selectable? OSX 10.14.4on 27 inch iMac.

jmickeyg

download from anywhere
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    A quick search found this:

How to Allow Apps from Anywhere in macOS Gatekeeper (Mojave, Sierra, High Sierra)

After you get the app, make sure you put the security back in place. It is a good thing overall.
    Jake

my system
    prefs does not have then option to select anywhere !! Thats the problem!Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 05.33.24.png

jmickeyg

- - - Updated - - -

ops sorry so big

download from anywhere
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jmickeyg View Post
    my system
    prefs does not have then option to select anywhere !! Thats the problem!Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 05.33.24.png

jmickeyg

- - - Updated - - -

ops sorry so big
    Did you click on the link in MacInWin’s post? It describes how to disable the protocol that prevents being able to download apps from anywhere.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

download from anywhere
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    @jmickeyg

This what you see by default:

S1.png

Then after you open Terminal and type in the command line shown in the article, this is what you see:

S2.png

These screenshots are taken from the OS X Daily article to which you were linked.

NB It's been said already; but be very, very careful when using these commands. They must be inputed exactly as shown.

Disabling Gatekeeper is a big step and, also already mentioned, should be reinstated afterwards. Again, strict adherence to the command line is essential.

Ian
    Ian

I think this is really going too far - Apple is trying to control more and more how one uses their Mac or what one can do with it.

What suddenly changed between El Capitan, where that third option is available and Sierra where it is not?

I think having the third option available where one has to use the admin password to enable it, is less risky that playing around with terminal commands

download from anywhere
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I think this is really going too far - Apple is trying to control more and more how one uses their Mac or what one can do with it.

What suddenly changed between El Capitan, where that third option is available and Sierra where it is not?

I think having the third option available where one has to use the admin password to enable it, is less risky that playing around with terminal commands
    Security, security, security. Either corrupt apps were installed, or some new users must have messed their systems' and Apple had to help them get it working again, so it was a cost benefit analysis. Apple did what they felt needed to be done, to alleviate them wasting time and money on problems, not of their making. At least that is how I see it. If someone really wants to, and knows what they're doing, they can work around it.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Security, security, security. Either corrupt apps were installed, or some new users must have messed their systems' and Apple had to help them get it working again, so it was a cost benefit analysis. Apple did what they felt needed to be done, to alleviate them wasting time and money on problems, not of their making. At least that is how I see it. If someone really wants to, and knows what they're doing, they can work around it.
    So now the user cannot just screw things up by downloading an app they shouldn't have but also by making a mistake when typing the terminal command....
    I don't think so - to change the setting to "Anywhere" required authorizing that change as an administrator, then after one downloads an app one gets at least two more warnings before the app will actually run.
    When using the terminal there is no authorization of any kind required - one click launches the app and then one can start typing and possibly screwing things up.

download from anywhere
    Your Mac's Specs
    Then it no longer becomes Apple's responsibility to fix the users screw up. Plus, not as many will go through Terminal. Again, it's only my opinion, but you may know Apples planning better than I do.
    -- Bob --

download from anywhere
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I don't like the latest change, either, but I can see why Apple did it. I would bet that they calculated how much support time they spent un-screwing a screwed up system that got that way because some idiot who didn't know better just typed in the admin password and installed some POC software. For people who know what they are doing the terminal commands are not that complex. And if you don't know what you are doing, don't do the terminal work and don't install dodgy third-party software.

It's another case of the "good guys" getting punished because some "bad guys" abused a service.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Then it no longer becomes Apple's responsibility to fix the users screw up. Plus, not as many will go through Terminal. Again, it's only my opinion, but you may know Apples planning better than I do.
    I never worked for Apple, but I spent many years as a senior manager at another large high tech company, and I can assure you, if someone worked around a number of safe guards and warnings to install software that turns out to be problematic, we sure didn't feel it was our responsibility to fix the problem.

On the other hand, now that Apple is "forcing" software downloads from either the Apple Store or Identified Developers, they are making any issues that might crop up their problem.

I remember not that long ago one of the apps people downloaded via the Apple Store actually included malware.
    That download was only available for a very short time, but still....

download from anywhere
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    I have a great deal of sympathy for the two points of view.

For those, and there are many, who code and suchlike, Terminal is a breeze. These same people are generally sensible and careful about downloading apps or similar.

There is an intermediate group who, given the option of simply unchecking a box, would take the risk, if they recognised it, and proceed.

The third group are those, like me, who have no experience of coding or programming and who shy off Terminal. Some of us understand that the "sudo" command gives you rule over the universe in computing terms and can destroy all that you hold dear to you.

But some of that same group are "willing to have a go" and mistype a command or miss out a space and then Armageddon in computer terms. Under warranty - off to Apple to sort it out.

Where do you draw the line? Apple has decided to make it much harder to mess things up at the expense of those who know what they are doing.

Ian
    Ian

download from anywhere
    Your Mac's Specs
    iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
    It is all about managing risk. Why do people accept risk by default, and not by conscious decision ?
    The majority of risk ( and harm caused ) sits with layer 8 of the OSI model. That is the layer between the chair and the keyboard.
    On the other hand, Apple is also trying to protect their ecosystem and brand.

Cheers ... McBie
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

@iwt and Macinwin you two were right . i should eat more carefully

thx

jmickeyg

Thread Information