Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Installing High Sierra on 2009 MBP

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 2009 5,3 OS10.11 + iMac2017 18,3 OS 10.13.6 + G4 Powerbook 2001 OS9.2 & 10.4.11
    I have tried to do this using macOS High Sierra Patcher Patcher Tool. After one or two false starts going well and embarked on Install (step 7 on the website, but having omitted steps 5 &6) the installation went fine for about half and hour, but with 10minutes shown remaining, the screen went grey with a "no entry" symbol then shut down & same on re-start.

The question is, has anyone done this operation successfully or is it basically too "iffy" and best left abandoned?

If no encouraging opinions, I will go on to recovery using TM back-up made immediately before start

BTW I am not really a new member, have been grateful for help here for some years, but have had to change email address, forgotten username & password, so re-registered
    Last edited by crisscross01; 03-28-2019 at 09:29 AM.

I'm always weary of these sorts of tools that try to bypass what machines a particular OS supports. Your 2009 MBP is clearly not supported by Sierra or High Sierra. The latest version of macOS you can use is El Capitan and you should stick with that. Your MBP is now 10 years old and no doubt it's served you well. Start thinking a about upgrading to a newer machine so that you can use a newer version of macOS.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 2009 5,3 OS10.11 + iMac2017 18,3 OS 10.13.6 + G4 Powerbook 2001 OS9.2 & 10.4.11
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    The latest version of macOS you can use is El Capitan and you should stick with that.
    My retirement income is below UK tax threshold so not rushing out for a new box. The reason I want to have same OS on this box that my wife uses as mine is that I have been unable to get Mail to accept our new ISP (plusnet) on the older box; the settings panels are not the same as with later version to mimic. We are resorting to using Thunderbird for now, but both hate the messy interface etc. and would like to return to Mail if poss.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    crisscross,

I am the first to recognise and understand the fiscal restraints under which so many have to live and bear.

So I appreciate that that purchasing a new Mac is out of the question and that presumably applies to older Macs which are a lot newer than yours? Say, a three or four year old Machine?

The problem is that, in my view anyway, you are very unlikely to get Sierra, let alone High Sierra on your present Mac.

I would restore to your previous setup and upgrade to El Capitan. Still a good workhorse.

There are several other mail applications other than Thunderbird, but I realise to for you and your wife, there is no beating Mail.

I know this is not what you want to hear and doesn’t directly answer your question. But really, I don’t see a solution that involves Sierra or High Sierra - one that actually works.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Actually the problem has morphed some what, recovery starts, even Internet recovery with ethernet cable between computer and router failed to do anything apart from display "no entry" for 15 seconds.

I interpret this as the internal hard drive having failed. Although I have a TM back up for this computer, I do not have a Superduper back up for it and doubt the Superduper drive for the iMac (High Sierra) would boot to it. Shopping trip I think

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    I’m terribly sorry about this.

As your Mac is around 10 years old, I don’t think Apple will touch it, but you might persuade them to run a free diagnostics test - maybe! At least you would then know where the problems lie.

I sympathise with your predicament.

Please let us know how things turn out.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    I sympathise with your predicament.

Ian
    Thanks Ian - the worst is if the internal drive has gone, but it may just be 'good as dead' being loaded with a damaged High Sierra and need re-suscitating. Either way am re-aquainting myself with making an El Cap boot drive on a thumb drive which I think I will need either way

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OSX 14.4 Mojave,
    You may have to erase and format the hard drivce and then install El Capitan which I take it you have on an external drive? Restoring for TM is a little more complicated.

How to restore your Mac from a backup | iMore
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    BTW I am not really a new member, have been grateful for help here for some years, but have had to change email address, forgotten username & password, so re-registered
    Not a good move as our forum Bot will pick up on your IP Address and flag your double registration. Double registrations are usually automatically banned from the forum. We will keep an eye out for any flags about your account and try to work around them.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    crisscross01, we found your old account and merged it with this new one. Continue to use the new account.

I have done a lot of things in the past with patched versions of OSX as I also was and am very poor $$$ wise. In the end I always down the road had one issue or another. El Capitan still works quite well. I would save all the possible issues and just use El Cap till you can afford a newer MBP down the road.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    crisscross01, we found your old account and merged it with this new one. Continue to use the new account.

I have done a lot of things in the past with patched versions of OSX as I also was and am very poor $$$ wise. In the end I always down the road had one issue or another. El Capitan still works quite well. I would save all the possible issues and just use El Cap till you can afford a newer MBP down the road.
    Thanks for sorting my account Denis

The ironic thing about my having had a try to match computers at High Sierra, is that I am perfectly happy with El Capitan, even have The Missing Manual version for it - all except that the version of Mail in HS works with my new ISP but I can't get the version on El Cap to do so.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Who is your ISP? I am quite good and figuring out Email connection issues with various ISP's.

Your Mac's Specs
    The OP’s new ISP is plusnet, Dennis.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Who is your ISP? I am quite good and figuring out Email connection issues with various ISP's.
    Plusnet, owned by BT but don't know if they are just UK or international - when we joined, their tech guy spent a couple of hours on the phone, but while hunting around for further ideas, his boss said they had done their duty once I was on web-mail for each address. On my iMac/High Sierra I was able to get my address into Mail when the wind was in the right quarter or something. However it won't have a 2nd Plusnet address. The Mail Account settings in El Cap are subtely different so I can't mirror the successful set on the MBP. For the moment I need to get the MBP running again

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post

Ian
    Happy ending! Made up an El Cap Installer on an 8gb flash drive (Make a Bootable Flash Installer of OS X or macOS made it idiot-proof & includes full pastable terminal commands for several OSs). On the MBP that was usable on Opt start, then Disk Util showed the drive, allowing it to be erased. The TM recovery option then allowed rebuild from TM back up.

I ordered a real cheap used drive yesterday, which, with a cover can become the SuperDuper back-up for this computer with a large partition in hand for other stuff; arrived in less than 24 hours.

From the very brief appearance of "High Sierra recovery disk" during the dead phase, it appears that the change of Recovery architecture is real reason for proclaiming the 2009 MBP unsuitable for OS10.13, rather than the installer needing a work-around as some folks assert.

As usual, you lot are both right and helpful.

Now back to my base problem, which is a POP email prog I can run with Plusnet. I did look at several, but maybe omitted what seasoned apple users recommend. The thing about Thunderbird is that "new account" acts like a bloodhound and sucks in most of the settings on the chosen ISP, leaving just the addition of a password; no messing with several panes of choices I don't understand and still failing to connect as in Mail.

Thread Information