Attention: Please checkout the new Mac-Forums Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Additional details in the "News & Community Announcements" thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Unable to successfully install Security Update 2019-002 10.13.6
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    I installed the update the night it was released, but after it started the install, I shut the monitor off and went to bed. When I woke up the next morning it was all set. No issues at all.

Besides the issues the site was experiencing, re: still not getting the Mac-Forums favicon in the Safari tab.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    I agree,Dennis. I had the same experience. I thought that either I had done something wrong or that the iMac was failing.

Then slowly and eventually, all worked out in the end- I hope

To put the other side, as it were, when I updated my wife’s MacBook Pro (2017), straight through without a hitch.

Strange lives we lead or, rather, strange lives these computers have

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Besides the issues the site was experiencing, re: still not getting the Mac-Forums favicon in the Safari tab.
    It's now working again in Chrome, so give it some time and it should be back to normal with Safari.

Strange - I now get this favicon when using Firefox (looks like a check mark); when I use the Brave browser, the favicon is what it should be

Favicon MF.jpg

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    I get that same favicon on Safari using iOS 12 (been on short holiday); but none at all on Safari on my iMac. (Back home today).

Not bothered personally, but JFI.

Ian

EDIT Been a bit of a plonker - favicon was not enabled on iMac's Safari!! Now is, and it's as it always was!
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    I get that same favicon on Safari using iOS 12 (been on short holiday); but none at all on Safari on my iMac. (Back home today).

Not bothered personally, but JFI.

Ian

EDIT Been a bit of a plonker - favicon was not enabled on iMac's Safari!! Now is, and it's as it always was!
    Where is that setting for favicon? On my system it's still stuck on the check mark. Thanks
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Where is that setting for favicon? On my system it's still stuck on the check mark. Thanks
    As far as I know there is no setting as such.

Try clearing your firefox cache - I got the right favicon back in Firefox by clearing the cache.

Your Mac's Specs
    Safari > Preferences > Tabs > Show website icons in tabs. With a Mac forums page open, check that box then uncheck it and see the favicon appear/disappear.

There is no word "favicon" actually mentioned which through me at first. Apple calls them "website icons".

Ian

EDIT I'm on HS. Might be different on macOS Mojave???
    Ian

Safari > Preferences > Tabs > Show website icons in tabs. With a Mac forums page open, check that box then uncheck it and see the favicon appear/disappear.

There is no word "favicon" actually mentioned which through me at first. Apple calls them "website icons".
    Ian
    That seems to allow one to show or not show the favicon, but it wouldn't allow one to change it.

On Safari on El Capitan, that option doesn't even exist, all I get is this in Preferences > tabs

Safari 11.1.2.jpg

Your Mac's Specs
    I never hinted that you could change the favicon; just enable or disable it

Seems that even this option is limited to newer Operating Systems. I have macOS High Sierra. It is also there in Sierra. Can't speak for when it was first introduced though. Sorry.

Ian
    Ian

I never hinted that you could change the favicon; just enable or disable it
    Yes, I know that.
    But Jake's problem as I understood it was not that he needed to enable (or disable) it - for him it showed the wrong favicon, same as it did for me.

Maybe disabling and thenre-enabling will fix that, but not if the favicon in Safari is stored in the cache the way it is in Firefox.

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, changing the setting made no difference. All I have is the check icon and nothing I have tried will update it. But when it flipped to the check, it updated my entire history to show that same check icon. So I should not have to purge history or do anything to get it back, if the site just puts it back like it was instead of the generic check mark. After all, I didn't do anything to get the check mark, so I shouldn't have to do anything to get the proper icon back. Something is wrong at the site, not on my system.
    Jake

Well, changing the setting made no difference. All I have is the check icon and nothing I have tried will update it. But when it flipped to the check, it updated my entire history to show that same check icon. So I should not have to purge history or do anything to get it back, if the site just puts it back like it was instead of the generic check mark. After all, I didn't do anything to get the check mark, so I shouldn't have to do anything to get the proper icon back. Something is wrong at the site, not on my system.
    It has to be your system.
    I get the correct favicon with Safari (and Firefox and Brave)

You don't have to clear History, only the cache. Have you done that?

Your Mac's Specs
    Yes, and no change. And when the icon changed to the check mark, I didn't clear any cache, or do anything, it just changed because the site sent the icon and it updated. If the site sends the correct icon, it should again change. That's my point. If my system isn't changing, it HAS to be that it's not getting any change from the site. That's how it works.

EDIT: I just checked on Opera, and it's getting the same check mark. So it is not Safari.
    Jake

Well, if the site sents the wrong icon wouldn't we all get the wrong one?
    I checked four browsers including Safari and Opera; they are all fine now - for Firefox clearing the cache corrected it.

Thread Information