Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: After Mojave

After Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Since macOS can be installed on multiple partitions, Apple doesn't like to allow VM macOS clients, on macOS hosts. The last time I was aware of it, they required a macOS server version, to get the VM to work with macOS. This was back around Snow Leopard/Lion/Mountain Lion.
    Snow Leopard and earlier had to be server versions of OS X to run in a VM. Starting with Lion, the regular version can be run in a VM, although it still must be on a Mac running macOS/OS X. On the App Store, you can get Parallels Desktop Lite. It used to be free for running macOS in a VM but no longer free from what I just read.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

After Mojave
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I think you have it there Chas, at it happens I do have a licensed copy of windows so that route is possible for me even though I'd loose out on the games I already own.
    I just became aware of Apple TV+ and Apple Arcade, the shape of the future I suppose. Apple's Netflix Killer Has Landed (Apple TV+ And Apple Arcade Explained) | Lifehacker Australia
    I will just have to move on and accept that I've had my value out of those games and now they're gone. I won't be upgrading for a while anyway so time to squeeze as much value out of my current game as I can before then.
    A bit off topic, I've set Safari as my default browser today. A long time since I've done that but then Safari has come a long way since then.
    I like it in Dark Mode, it has a simple uncluttered appearance which appeals to me and I like the option of the sidebar display for Reading List and History.
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

After Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    Retina MBP 15" 2.6 1TB ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
    I'm still running Sierra, Id love to update to Mojave as it's at .4 now, but avid pro tools still, doesn't support it yet. Like usual, by the time that happens the 'after Mojave' will be out well before I can even try to update to Mojave. If I could only get Seirra to stop forcing me to click on details when I get nagged to update in the middle of work! (thats a very M$ thing to do...)

After Mojave
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    If your'e thinking about it just remember that Apple tends to remove the last macOS after the release of the next one. Now that Mojave is at the 10.14.4 stage you might like to download the installer. If you have 5Gb to spare. Alternatively set a reminder to do so before the next macOS upgrade is released.
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

After Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    Retina MBP 15" 2.6 1TB ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
    I have something like install Mojave file thing in downloads (if I remember) is that the full install or just a pointer file to download?

If they pull that there's going to be a huge number of pro pro tools users in a fit of rage if they can't update to it and forced to only update to the one after Mojave because no possible way Avid will support the next MacOS probably for at least another year, apple is pumping out OSs too fast. Pro tools guys are moving to windows in droves because of apple's complete blindness to pros. Im a bit surprised at the number of audio/studios moving to PCs right now, never thought Id see that.

After Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    Check its location and file size. If it's sitting in the Application folder and Get Info reports a file size around 5 - 6 GB it should be the entire installer.

BTW I understand your frustration with how pro users are sometimes treated. I'm sure there are many that agree with you. I will say though that this is not entirely due to Apple's OS release schedule. Apple has been on a path of making major OS revisions annually for several years now.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

After Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    Just checked, its just over 6gigs, so Im good I think.

On the OS schedule, I don't think it matters how long apples been doing it. The trouble is, audio (and probably a few other major pro things Im not sure) is notorious for being incredibly finicky. You're fine if you're using say 1000 dollar or less audio interfaces maybe and say logic, but theres a reason why traditionally you'd see studios big or small running antiquated stuff, it isn't all just about ROI (though its perhaps part of the equation but thats true of all pro applications) but in audio its so finicky one simple update and BAM your studio is down. Like, you better have backed up, and even then you're going to be down for days, which is catastrophic. Hopefully major apps like pro tools can mov a bit quicker but I doubt it. I have seen a major move to windows in the pro tools world very recently, and that worries me. Ive never seen this to this extent before. Not that I think it means apple is going down by any means. It just means me, who hates windows with a passion, may have to move to the dark side to be more compatible with other studios down the road should this continue. That'd be a huge drag. I run both pro tools and logic, pro tools is the main one.

Its a whole different world in audio and I wish it'd move faster. I have about 12k in audio racks and even those just got qualified for Mojave just a month ago finally, and that was fast apparently!

After Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    Believe me I understand that situation completely. Even in the business and government worlds there are many entities that wait for long periods of time before updating. In addition to ROI costs, and the downtime associated with crashes / problems, the stress of trying to share major projects with colleagues who haven't updated is not fun by any means.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

After Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    part of me loves the idea of speccing out a smoker of a machine in parts, but then I have to run windows.

My good friend who does feature film scoring, he just built a hackintosh, he's trying to convince me of it because he knows how much I hate windows, but to me that defeats the point of having a Mac, I turn it on, use it, and never screw with it. Im waiting for the newer Mac minis to get more powerful, or see, and hope the new Mac pros aren't a bazzilion dollars like the iMac pro is and maybe consider a base model as the next move.

I sort of wish for the days of the souped up beige G3 I loved!

EDIT: Just wanted to add an article from pro tools expert, it contains a graph of Mac to PC users in 2016, and the now in 2019. Its shocking, and is something apple needs to wake up to. I think they may be, with the release of the 6 core mini, but even that is half measures, some, like me, are waiting to see the new Mac Pro. Pro Tools | Pro Tools Users Abandoning Apple Mac For Microsoft Windows. New Poll Shows Alarming Results
    Last edited by Groovetube; 03-28-2019 at 07:42 AM.

After Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    The sad part of all this is that Apple has been very open about the eventual move to 64bit only. So companies cannot complain that they didn't know, or were not given enough time to adjust/adapt/update/revise. By not being ready, they are the ones basically saying "we don't care about you" to their users. Moving from 32 bit to 64 bit is NOT that hard, you just need to do it.
    Jake

After Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    its hard to imagine that in 2019 they still aren't 64bit. Even stalwart pro tools has been 64bit since 2013.

After Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
    If your'e thinking about it just remember that Apple tends to remove the last macOS after the release of the next one. Now that Mojave is at the 10.14.4 stage you might like to download the installer. If you have 5Gb to spare. Alternatively set a reminder to do so before the next macOS upgrade is released.
    They remove old versions from the storefront, but if you downloaded it previously, you can get it from your history. I have all the versions starting with Lion available in my purchase history to re-download at will.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

After Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    I have all the versions starting with Lion available in my purchase history to re-download at will.
    Really? Have you checked your purchased items lately in the new Mac App Store? The only previous purchased macOS that I'm showing is El Capitan. Everything else has been removed.

After Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
    I have all the versions starting with Lion available in my purchase history to re-download at will.
    Not in more current versions of macOS. I “believe” El Capitan or Sierra, were the last versions to display those. Which may have to do with APFS?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

After Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Really? Have you checked your purchased items lately in the new Mac App Store? The only previous purchased macOS that I'm showing is El Capitan. Everything else has been removed.
    Well I just learned something new (and seriously Apple, what the what?????). I was floored when I couldn't find them in my purchase history on my MacBook Air when I knew full well it hadn't been that long ago since I last saw them. Then I realized my iMac is stuck on High Sierra and that is where I can still see the older versions. That's just a blatantly hostile move on Apple's part, like no one may have a valid reason to roll back to an older version.

------
    ------

Thread Information