Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: System Storage

System Storage
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Just as an addit to this thread. I had a number of old backups in iMazing and noticed after doing at bit of a search I had several iMazing Versions folders in different places. Maybe the default location got mucked up somehow as i had made a few backups for other people. Anyway as I was unable to work out which ones were which and my iOS devices are backed up to iCloud as well I thought rather than download the current update I would just delete all of my iMazing files, backup folders and the app itself and download the new version an start over. This was a bit of a surprise because all together that came to 69Gb. i now have 229Gb free on my SSD.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

System Storage
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I love iMazing 2 but one does have to be careful not to let backups accumulate over time. Unlike iTunes, it will store backups of every iOS device for as long as you have room. You do need to purge those backups every now and then.

System Storage
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I love iMazing 2 but one does have to be careful not to let backups accumulate over time. Unlike iTunes, it will store backups of every iOS device for as long as you have room. You do need to purge those backups every now and then.

+1!!
    But it would be really nice if iMazing 2 had a button to the actual Backup Path: or at least to get to the "Enclosing folder" to make any surplus BackUp deletions easier.

- Patrick
    ======

System Storage
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    In iMazing Preferences, under "Backups" is the location to where the backups are stored.
    Jake

System Storage
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    @Charlie and Patrick

iMazing 2 does do both things:

In its preferences, you can select "where" you want to store the backups (ie your back up path, Patrick), and you can instruct iMazing to keep no more than a certain number of backups (in my case 6) and auto-delete or request-delete the oldest BU when you come to the 7th.

I think you can also tell it to keep BUs on a time-focussed basis - say, not more than one month - if you prefer that way over number of previous BUs.

So there is some flexibility available.

Ian
    Ian

System Storage
    and you can instruct iMazing to keep no more than a certain number of backups (in my case 6) and auto-delete or request-delete the oldest BU when you come to the 7th.

Hmmm...??? I see no such options... using iMazing v. 2.9.3 with Mavericks 10.9.5.

I did manage to find the Delete and Show in Finder options of any iMazing 2.9.3 backups — available with a select and then right-click.
    A bit odd that those options definitely were not showing when I tried earlier today or before when I was looking. Gremlins I guess...

- Patrick
    ======

System Storage
    Your Mac's Specs
    Anyway, this is all good to know so thanks for the input. Now i know where they are and how many to keep I'll be able to monitor storage. I think I neglected to realize that these preferences need to be set for each device. Consequently they got a bit scattered.

System Storage
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Hmmm...??? I see no such options... using iMazing v. 2.9.3 with Mavericks 10.9.5.

I did manage to find the Delete and Show in Finder options of any iMazing 2.9.3 backups — available with a select and then right-click.
    A bit odd that those options definitely were not showing when I tried earlier today or before when I was looking. Gremlins I guess...

- Patrick
    ======
    Patrick the options are there but you don't get to them via iMazing's preferences. It's a bit counter intuitive and if Ian's post hadn't reminded me that they were there I'd have forgotten about them. I had to poke around a bit to figure this out.

Try the following:

1. Connect your IOS device and launch iMazing.
    2. Select your device in the list on the left side of the window that appears.
    3. On the right side of the window choices such as Backup, Quick Transfer, etc. appear. Choose Options
    4. A new window opens. In the line that says Backup Archiving choose Change.

You seem to have access to this series of options even if the device isn't connected.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

System Storage
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post

- Patrick
    ======
    That's odd, Patrick. I'm on the same version on Mojave and when I open iMazing Preferences and click on "Backup" I get this:
    2019-03-19 09.41.39 pm.png
    I deleted my account name, but you can see where the default is set and where iMazing has used space already. You don't see that?
    Jake

System Storage
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    That's odd, Patrick. I'm on the same version on Mojave and when I open iMazing Preferences and click on "Backup" I get this:
    I deleted my account name, but you can see where the default is set and where iMazing has used space already. You don't see that?

Yes, I see that thanks Jake.

What I don't see or get are the settings that Ian suggested, ie:
    and you can instruct iMazing to keep no more than a certain number of backups (in my case 6) and auto-delete or request-delete the oldest BU when you come to the 7th.

- Patrick
    ======

System Storage
    Your Mac's Specs
    Patrick, I don't see the "counts" setup either, but there are settings. With a device connected, you can click on the gear symbol on the main window of iMazing and then see this:
    2019-03-19 11.23.48 pm.png
    And when you choose to change the setting for Archiving, you get this:
    2019-03-19 11.22.02 pm.png
    No "number" options, but a "time" option that may or may not work, depending on how often you backup.
    Jake

System Storage
    Your Mac's Specs
    Yes Jake that's what I get too.

System Storage
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    That's exactly what I was referring to Jake - and Sly. I apologise for my misuse of the word "preferences" when I really meant "options"; but as you can see, they are there and offer a degree of flexibility.

Ian
    Ian

System Storage
    Your Mac's Specs
    As an addendum to my post above, may I also mention some of the other options which might suit some people.

Automatic Backups really means scheduled BUs, assuming you leave your iDevice connected to your Mac.

WiFi Connection - which I found more of a nuisance than a help, but which might suit others. See Jake's first screenshot in post #26 for an explanation of how it works. Basically if you have your iDevice with you and you sit down at your Mac, the two will communicate wirelessly and a BU will occur automatically.

Finally, back to BU Archiving, in addition to determining how many BUs you want stored, you can have a different setting for each iDevice if you wish. I keep mine the same for all my iDevices, but my wife uses her iPhone & iPad so frugally that a BU once a month is enough, so keeping BUs longer than this is wasteful of space.

Ian
    Ian

System Storage
    No "number" options, but a "time" option that may or may not work, depending on how often you backup.

Thanks Jake, maybe those are the settings Ian was referring to.

Anyway, my iMazing.app is working well enough for our use the way it is currently set up.

EDIT:
    It looks like I forgot to post this last night with a nudge and a reminder from autosave this am.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information