Firefox can't find a file it needs
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, High Sierra.
    Running Mojave 10.14.3 on an iMac 2015.
    First, a little background that may help find a solution to my problem:

I took my Mac in to the Apple store to find out why it was so sluggish. The tech found that I was overloading my desktop, so she moved everything on the desktop to my Documents folder, whereupon the Mac sprang to life; however, it also started giving me this diagnostic when trying to run Firefox:

Firefox canít find the file at jar:file:///Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/browser/omni.ja!/chrome/en-US/locale/branding/browserconfig.properties.

I'm in way over my head on this one. I started searching, and I did find a 12.9 MB text file called "omni.ja" full of gobbledegook text, and I also found a slew of folders called "Resources", but nothing had a filepath that looked anything like what shows in the diagnostic.

I need a hero!

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Why not download Firefox again and install it this time in the Applications folder?

Bob -

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    No joy!

I had to work around having more than one Applications folder, but I condensed them into one folder. Everything looked good, but the same diagnostic come up.

I've attached a screen shot that may be useful. Close, but no cigar:

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 6.20.23 PM.png

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    1. I'm with Bob. Just reinstall Firefox.
    2. You cannot have two Applications folders in the same path. There is an applications folder at /Applications, and one in YOUR account at ~/Applications (which is actually /Users/<you>/Applications. Those are two different folders for a good reason. The applications in the /Applications folder are installed for ALL users and those in the ~/Applications folder are installed for YOU only. Don't know what you meant by "condensed" them but depending on what you did the system may be all mucked up at this point.

So give us some information about what you did and why you cannot just reinstall Firefox and maybe somebody can help.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks for making the distinction between User and Public Applications. Since I'm the only user, I didn't recognize the need for the separation. All my work uses the Public folder. In all innocence, with this situation being so conscious of the name "Applications", I didn't like having two folders with the same name, so in a fit of neatness, I copied the few subfolders from the User Applications to the Public Applications, intending to trash the former, but I forgot to do that. Except for Adobe Acrobat, I don't need/use the others, and I'd bet you a nickel that I didn't muck anything up (especially since the diagnostic was occurring before I did the copy), but I'll undo the copy anyway.

FWIW, I'm not exactly a newbie. I started my programming career in 1957. So far in this session, I've reinstalled Firefox into the Public Applications folder several times to no avail. The screen shot (above) is subordinate to Applications/Firefox.app/ and if it is, in fact, reloaded with each install, and its content is what's causing the diagnostic, then there's something wrong with the source. Of course, if that's the case, why aren't we getting complaints from all the Firefox users?

Therein lies the mystery.

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, what's curious is that the path has "omni.ja" in the middle, but from your image, it doesn't seem to be a folder, so the rest of the path after "omni.ja" is not going to be found. I know nothing about FF, I don't use it, but appears that it has a install issue. Do you have it in any backup to see if "omni.ja" used to be a folder? If it was, can you reinstall that version and use it until FF sorts it out?

On the other hand, omni.ja seems to be VERY large (41.5MB) so maybe is *is* a folder but has lost the property to be one? Can you right click on omni.ja and see if it offers to show the contents? If it has the contents of a folder, there may be a way in Terminal to set the property to be a folder again and get you going.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Oh, and on the two Application folders: Sometimes the license of the software is for YOU, not the users of the system, so the install goes into YOUR account for YOU to use and not into the /Applications folder for everyone to use. I just had to wrestle with one like that when I had to create a new user and migrate over to get away from some gremlin that was keeping me from using Photoshop in my original account. I never found the gremlin, but PS worked in my new account, so I moved. Then I had to reregister one package that didn't like my new account because it was registered for ONE user. A bit of uninstalling from the old account freed it up to be installed in the new, but it did take a bit of finesse to get it to accept a new name.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    A few thoughts:

My User Applications has been stagnant for years. FF has always downloaded to the Public Applications.

Did you notice that there are two omni.ja entries in the screenshot?

I don't know what it is, but there's something special about "jar:file". I recall setting up Minecraft for a grandson, and it definitely was treated as a separate concern, for lack of a better term.

In addition to other tables of stuff, omni.ja contains code (see attached), so it's definitely not a folder, which means that in the URL in the diagnostic, what follows it are parameters to an omni.ja program. I don't know what part the exclamation point plays.omni.ja programming.png

At the moment, I can't connect to my backup system, but I doubt that I'm backing up the public Applications folder -- for an older version of omni.ja -- since the vast majority of the applications get loaded with any OS install, and I just wing it for the stuff I've installed separately. I think I'll change that so that I save everything. )

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, according to this: https://extension.nirsoft.net/ja
    a ja file is a file used by Mozilla, who develops Firefox, so that's good. Unfortunately, FF is the tool to open it, so if it's not opening it, or is opening and not finding what it expected, the only thing to do is reinstall FF from an older version. I can't say why the "!" is there, except maybe it's FF trying stay it cannot open the ja file.

Other than that, I can't help much.

I do see both .ja files, but the larger one is the one in the path you gave, so I focused on that. I suspect that Mozilla is using .ja as an abbreviation for java files. Normall Java files are stored in a jar file, where jar = Java Archive.
    Jake

Have a look through some of these google hits:
    https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...iz.ZBNParF5ZHI

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac,

I got another suggestion to un/reinstall Firefox, which we know does not solve the problem. I responded with the following:

----
    Apple gave me the link to the Mozilla customer support, and with a little hunting around I did run across the Mac solution regarding this exact diagnostic message. I took a quick first look, and it involved much more than the "standard" solution, including getting into Firefox's "safe mode" and stuff like that. (I also ran across some documentation pitfalls that shows a step that was supposed remind the reader to execute it just before a couple of steps earlier, so it pays to read the entire document before you begin following it!)

I'm not going to pursue this right now, because I promised myself that I would get my taxes done first; however I will post the results of my efforts here.
    ----

I also took a look at Patrick's reference, and there seems to be some good stuff there that's easy to follow, but for now, Uncle Sam comes first.

I'll be back. Thanks for all your concern.

I also took a look at Patrick's reference, and there seems to be some good stuff there that's easy to follow, but for now, Uncle Sam comes first.

A bit OT here, and I'm not familiar with your Uncle Sam's Income Tax stuff, but many years ago in Canada, an old school chum would just gather up and put all his appropriate receipts and forms into the Income Tax envelope and sign and date that he has done what was required and mail it off to them and wait for a reply if he owed anything.

When asked about using such a method, he would just reply that they were going to go over all the data anyway, so why should he bother wasting his time to do it all before hand.

That worked for him for years until he finally had a large business and was advised to have it done professionally or at least have it prepared a bit better.

Maybe his old method would work for you now??? Then you could get back to your more important Mac Problem stuff and deal with it a bit sooner than you were expecting.

BTW:
    I've attached a screen shot that may be useful. Close, but no cigar:
    That screen shot makes no sense as to solving your problem. It's only a shot of some app's "enclosing folder". Nearly all apps will have something similar.

Just reinstall the app as suggested. But install it in the normal location like the general Applications folder.

You are just creating more extra problems for yourself, and the application doesn't like what you were doing!!!

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 03-18-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Thread Information