Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Davva View Post
    Yes, I understand. I have removed the programs from those locations but they still show in Sys Info.
    Then I don't know what to tell you. I just wouldn't worry about it unless it's causing issues. Maybe it will disappear after a while.
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Legacy Software in System Information
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Open System Preferences, then Spotlight. Uncheck one of the options on the tab to remove it from Spotlight. Now close System Preferences. Reboot. Now open Sys Pref again and check what you unchecked.

That process will force a reinventory of your drive by Spotlight and that will, in turn, eventually show up in System Information. It may take a while, depending on how big the drive is and how many files you have on it, so be patient. It could be a couple of days before the inventory is completed. (It runs in the background and is low priority, so it goes slowly when it has to inventory the entire drive, which is what the process forced.)

Or you can just wait and eventually they should disappear from Sys Info. May I ask why that's important to you? Is there some reason to want them out of there immediately?
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Open System Preferences, then Spotlight. Uncheck one of the options on the tab to remove it from Spotlight. Now close System Preferences. Reboot. Now open Sys Pref again and check what you unchecked.

That process will force a reinventory of your drive by Spotlight and that will, in turn, eventually show up in System Information. It may take a while, depending on how big the drive is and how many files you have on it, so be patient. It could be a couple of days before the inventory is completed. (It runs in the background and is low priority, so it goes slowly when it has to inventory the entire drive, which is what the process forced.)

Or you can just wait and eventually they should disappear from Sys Info. May I ask why that's important to you? Is there some reason to want them out of there immediately?
    It's not that important. A couple of days is fine. I'm still learning about Macs so things like this are good for me.

Well, it's now been 4 days since I carried this out and it is still the same.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Your Mac's Specs
    I just want to make sure of one thing. When you look at Legacy Applications, in the upper right window is listed the application and in the lower right window is the information about that application, including location. Are you not seeing that? If you can see where they are, you can then go there and eliminate or uninstall them, if they are not part of the system itself.
    Jake

I just want to make sure of one thing. When you look at Legacy Applications, in the upper right window is listed the application and in the lower right window is the information about that application, including location. Are you not seeing that? If you can see where they are, you can then go there and eliminate or uninstall them, if they are not part of the system itself.
    Yes, I can see the application in the top window and the location in the bottom window.

It gives the location as '/Applications/ApolloWallet/Uninstaller/Dimfrag.app/Contents/MacOS/'

I don't know how to navigate to that location so I use EasyFind to identify all the instances of the application.
    Once I found the application I deleted it.

Your Mac's Specs
    The leading "/" in that string indicates that the rest of the path is in the root of the drive. So to get to that location, you open Finder. If you have set the view option to include hard drives in the sidebar on the left, your hard drive should be there, usually named MacintoshHD. Click on that if it's there. Then you should see a folder named "Applications" which is where the ApolloWallet folder would be. If the drive is not there in the sidebar, you can click on the Go on the top bar, then select "Go to Folder" and enter either "/" or "/Applications" and then click Go and Finder will open that folder. Basically what is in /Applications are all applications that are installed for all users. You have a separate Application folder in your home directory for things installed just for you and no one else. I don't know what else might be in the ApolloWallet folder, but it looks like the legacy application was an uninstaller for something.

Anyway, you don't need to use EasyFind if you know the path, just use the Go menu and go directly to the folder in question.
    Jake

The leading "/" in that string indicates that the rest of the path is in the root of the drive. So to get to that location, you open Finder. If you have set the view option to include hard drives in the sidebar on the left, your hard drive should be there, usually named MacintoshHD. Click on that if it's there. Then you should see a folder named "Applications" which is where the ApolloWallet folder would be. If the drive is not there in the sidebar, you can click on the Go on the top bar, then select "Go to Folder" and enter either "/" or "/Applications" and then click Go and Finder will open that folder. Basically what is in /Applications are all applications that are installed for all users. You have a separate Application folder in your home directory for things installed just for you and no one else. I don't know what else might be in the ApolloWallet folder, but it looks like the legacy application was an uninstaller for something.

Anyway, you don't need to use EasyFind if you know the path, just use the Go menu and go directly to the folder in question.
    I can go to the Applications folder and I have been there and removed the application in question. The problem is, it is still showing in the Legacy Software.

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, I have no clue what to do next. I suppose you could wipe the drive, reinstall the OS and then restore from a backup, but that seems drastic. However, if it's that important to you that the Legacy Applications not show that item, that's about all I can suggest.
    Jake

Well, I have no clue what to do next. I suppose you could wipe the drive, reinstall the OS and then restore from a backup, but that seems drastic. However, if it's that important to you that the Legacy Applications not show that item, that's about all I can suggest.
    Yeah, I was afraid that was going to be the solution. Thanks for your help.

Has anyone got to the bottom of how to refresh the information shown under Legacy Software in the System Information?

I 100% dont have the apps its shows in there, they are deleted.

The files reside in /System/Library/SystemProfiler - the Legacy Software one is SPLegacySoftwareReport.spreporter

All the files in that folder seem to have an old date.

There must be a way to rescan?

Has anyone got to the bottom of how to refresh the information shown under Legacy Software in the System Information?

Try reading this article that may give some insight as to what Apple may seem to be doing regarding the Legacy Software listing etc.

Mojave’s Legacy Software isn’t wrong, it’s just a bit slow
    Mojave’s Legacy Software isn’t wrong, it’s just a bit slow – The Eclectic Light Company

And one seemingly accurate comment:
    As far as I can see, the list never updates, or if it does, it’s wholly unreliable.

So maybe it's just a waste of text drive space.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Disconnect any/all attached drives and try again?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Disconnect any/all attached drives and try again?

Did you read the article at the link I posted above???

I doubt very much if anything will change by disconnecting any and all drives.

It seems to be part of one of those apple non-disclosure things they seem to do, and they ain't going to be telling nobody all or why it all works and it may even be some sort of OS residual thing that is being forgotten and left behind.

But no concern here as I don't even have a Mac that and run that OS version.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information