Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Update.

Using the media creation tool that Win7 downloaded rather than the on-line media creation tool via a browser I have downloaded another copy of the 64 bit ISO and this one is 4.1GB while the one done via the browser method was 4.7GB, very odd.

I've tried the smaller ISO with Bootcamp and it still fails.

I have decided to go for a more hardcore approach. Bootcamp creates the partitions OK and it seems to copy the Windows Install files OK but fails when trying to copy the Bootcamp support files.

Rather than remove all the Bootcamp partitions and restore the drive to full OS X I have quit Bootcamp leaving the partitions intact. I then rebooted holding down the option key. I then selected the Bootcamp partition and it immediately booted into the windows installer. While I have no mouse support I was able to start the installation process which is, so far going well.

I have also located where the Bootcamp support files are, it's mounted as a drive in /Volumes opening up the file contents shows several files including setup.exe

Once Windows completes the install I will copy the contents of the bootcamp support files to the windows partition and run the setup.exe manually. I'm hoping this will install all the correct drivers etc.

I'll let you know if it works.
    Regards
    Mason

Mojave - Problems installing Windows 10 with Boot Camp
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Good going. sounds like something I would have tried. Keep us posted. That should work as I used to do that with the support files also.

I am glad this thread was posted as I had no idea Apple has changed Bootcamp since the old days like this.

Update.

All sorted. Windows installed without any problems other than the expected ones of the Apple device drivers not being installed.

According to Apple you can download the Windows support files separately using Bootcamp and save them to a USB device, they advise USB 2. I pointed Bootcamp at the USB drive and again the files downloaded but would not save!

A bit more searching pointed to me to a free Windows program called Brigadier https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier/releases

Rebooted into Windows 10 downloaded Brigadier and ran it and it opens a terminal identifies the model of Mac, in my case iMac17,1 then it goes directly to the apple servers and downloads the correct versions of everything required and puts into a directory it creates called Bootcamp. I ran setup.exe and up popped Bootcamp for windows which installed all the drivers and the Bootcamp Control panel. Windows then restarts and everything works perfectly and I can reboot into OS X from the task bar.

Once you know what to do the whole process is both quick and easy, the main problem is finding the correct information as the internet is full of people who have no idea what they're doing or wilfully overcomplicate stuff to make themselves look clever. Having to wade through all the crap to find the treasure is a major pain!

Here's the process:

Download the Windows ISO
    Run Bootcamp
    When it fails quit Bootcamp before it tries to roll back the failed install. This will leave the Windows partition complete with the files needed for the install.
    Reboot the Mac holding down the Option key then select the Windows partition.
    The Mac will then boot into the windows installer and the install will complete.
    Download and install 7-Zip
    Download Brigadier.exe
    Run Brigadier.exe all the drivers and support files will be downloaded from Apple
    Got to the Bootcamp directory and run the setup.exe - All the drivers and files will be installed
    Reboot Windows

And that it the Mac will now boot into OS X or Windows 10 as desired.

Come on Apple you need to step up and sort this out! I've been an Apple user for decades and the best thing about the Mac was that it just worked, no messing about. That sadly is no longer true. In recent years the Mac has been plagued with more and more issues like this one.

Thank you for your help and patience. I hope this is of use to someone else.
    Last edited by Mason; 03-03-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    Regards
    Mason

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Good find and excellent detective work there. I've tried about four times over the last year to set up a Bootcamp partition and gotten a different set of issues every time all leading to failure. I'll probably try again though since I have paod for the ISO download. Besides, at this point it's starting to really annoy me.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Thanks Mason for reporting back and congrats.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Same here.

Thanks to both member Mason and our Admin Dennis for sorting this out. Right now I have no need to install Windows but you never know what lies ahead!

Your Mac's Specs
    iPhone XR, iMac 27 Retina 3.4, 8gb, macOS 10.14.5, iPad 9.7 IOS 12.3.1
    Thanks Mason for all the hard work to accomplish a solution. I would like to sometime in the future to have the ability to run win on my mac too.
    Kenny

Further and Final Update.

Everything was working fine in both OS X Mojave and Windows 10, however, there wasn't as much free space as I'd like.

Time to do some housekeeping and remove applications I no longer use and have a cull of old files, documents and photos etc. Having started I realised that there was indeed a lot of stuff that could go.

It then occurred that there was nothing on the Mac of any importance that wasn't backed up in at least two places. I have a Time Capsule and two Synology NAS drives. Time for a fresh install of OS X, it would mean reinstalling Windows but now that I knew what to do that would be both quick and easy.

I erased the OS X partition and booted into Internet recovery and did a fresh install, all without errors.

Before doing any setting up of the OS X I decided to install Windows that way if it went sideways I'd not wasted any time. I started Bootcamp pointed it at the Windows 10 ISO and set it going fully expecting it to fail like it did before. It didn't, it installed Windows without any fuss or errors at all.

I can only conclude that although my version of Mojave was the latest it was somehow different to a clean install. My iMac is a 2015 model so the OS has been upgraded several times from older versions of the OS.

It might be worth noting that if every so often a clean install may well just fix some of those irritating problems.
    Regards
    Mason

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Thanks for the update. I think the reason many of us avoid a clean install is the hassle of digging up serial numbers for apps that require licensing, reinstalling apps, and then adjusting them to the way we had them before and so on. But generally I agree, a clean install can cure many ills and get rid of a lot of unnecessary fluff.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Thanks for the update. I think the reason many of us avoid a clean install is the hassle of digging up serial numbers for apps that require licensing, reinstalling apps, and then adjusting them to the way we had them before and so on. But generally I agree, a clean install can cure many ills and get rid of a lot of unnecessary fluff.
    As an Oracle DBA and developer for a Global Telecoms company looking after several thousand servers I learned to be very particular about stuff like that. All serial numbers, licences, login IDs and passwords were/are stored in an encrypted KeePass file. It's free, secure, fully cross platform including android and Apple ios and was the only application approved by the company. I find it invaluable.

I always look at any system/computer and my first question is always "How long would it take me to be up and running if it spontaneously combusts, or more realistically dies?" In my case it's only as long as it would take to get a new one out of the box, powered up and do a full restore from backup. All the important stuff is on NAS drives.

So many people buy a computer and just use it, they have loads of documents and photos running into the thousands and take no backups. Everything in their world is good right up until the moment it doesn't work and the realisation dawns that if it can't be recovered they've lost everything. Even if it survives long enough to be replaced the work involved in transferring their files to a new machine can be frustrating and take forever and they usually forget or miss something only to realise weeks later when it's too late.

What started out as a frustrating exercise in getting my iMac to dual boot has ended up being both interesting and with a Mac that runs like it did out of the box.
    Regards
    Mason

Your Mac's Specs
    Mason, another thing we have in common I guess! Grin. I keep all my passwords and things in encrypted text files. Have backups on every system I own and on external drives.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2017 iMac Pro, 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W, 32 GB Ram, 1TB SSD, Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB, Mojave OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mason View Post

I opted for an 80GB partition and Boot Camp creates this then downloads the Windows Support Files and copies the files across from the ISO. It then fails saying that the Windows Support software could not be saved to the selected drive.
    Increase to at least 150 GB.

EDIT: Nevermind I didn't read the rest of the thread.
    Last edited by MagicMac; 04-22-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Thread Information