Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Facetime turned on by itself?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac
    I have Facetime Version 3.0 (3067.10) on an iMac with Sierra. Today, after working on my computer for a few hours, I left it ON and left the room for fifteen minutes or so. The last thing I had done before leaving the room was send a Twitter. Before I left the room, I closed all open apps. When I returned, I noticed that Facetime was running. It was definitely not on earlier. I would have noticed both the little green light at the top of the screen and the Facetime icon appearing at the bottom of the screen at the far right of the list of App icons, with a little dot under it. Both of those (the light and the icon with a dot under it) were there when I returned but not when I left. I'm sure of that because when I leave the computer, and turn off all the apps, I check to confirm I haven't left any on by scanning the list of icons at the bottom of the screen.

Facetime's icon is not in the list of apps on my Desktop, so I could not have accidentally turned it on. In fact, I have never used Facetime except when I first brought this iMac home; it was on for a few minutes then just to see how it worked.

I clicked on the Facetime icon, and its display appeared on the screen with my face showing. Video was on (white), Audio was off (greyed). Doesn't that mean that not only did someone or something have to turn it on, he or she or it had to log in to get it to display?

Has anyone here experienced having Facetime in effect turn itself on?
    Does Facetime keep a log or a history of usage, where I could look to see who or what got into my computer?

I have changed the password on my router, just in case.

I have run Malwarebytes, ClamXAV, SmartReporter, and Onyx>>Automation. Everything is fine.

One more thing: My wife, who is truly lovely but only semi-computer-literate and that only on her PC, just told me that while I was out of the room, she was looking for something in Word on my computer (and did not find it). She said she used the keyboard and mouse, nothing else. For her to have started Facetime, she would have had to either use the Launchpad or click on GO at the top of the screen, then Applications, then facetime.app. It is extremely unlikely that she would have done either. But is there perhaps a default Macro that turns Facetime on and that she may have inadvertently set off? I certainly have never created one, but did Apple? And even if she had accidentally turned it on, she could not have logged into it without my Apple ID and Password, which she does not have memorized because she has no use for it.

I confess, when I noticed that Facetime was running, I felt kind of violated, like somebody had gotten into my house uninvited. Am I over-reacting?

Thank you for any thoughts or advice ... or laughter.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanmaine View Post
    Has anyone here experienced having Facetime in effect turn itself on?
    Do you have a cat? Seriously...do you have a cat?

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Admin pigoo3 is being serious. I have a cat and several of our members ditto; and they have uncannily caused all sorts of things to happen as they gently made their way across the keyboard.

But may I ask you to elucidate on one thing? You said
    after working on my computer for a few hours, I left it (Facetime) ON and left the room for fifteen minutes or so
    Then you said:
    Before I left the room, I closed all open apps.
    Slight contradiction there???? May I ask how you think or did close all open apps - I'm not being offensive, just curious as to whether you could have left FT on.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac
    pigoo3: Wow! I have to tell you, my wife and I bust a gut reading your question. The answer, as you undoubtedly expect, is yes, we do have a cat, a seven year-old Birman, which, as I am guessing will not surprise you, walks across my keyboard at least once a day, sometimes several times a day, and sometimes even sleeps stretched out across the keyboard. And, yes, as she does all of those things, she presses keys, which affects what's on the screen, and my blood pressure.

So, could the cat have opened FaceTime? Again, I am guessing your thought is, yes.

Speaking of which, I am obliged to restate what I said earlier about my lovely wife. Last evening, as we were turning in, and after I had written the first post, but while I was still whining about it, she asked, "Doesn't the fact that Facetime's image on your screen still displayed the request for login information (username and password) mean that it hadn't actually been activated, that only the camera had been turned on?"

What can I tell you, she surprises me every day!

So, yes, I over reacted ... or, better, reacted before thinking it through. Oh well.

Once again, I am grateful for this forum.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac
    IWT - Thank you for your post. You're right, I wrote, "after working on my computer for a few hours, I left it ON and left the room for fifteen minutes or so".

In that sentence, "it" refers to "my computer" not FaceTime. I apologize for that confusion. In fact, up until yesterday, I had turned on FaceTime only once since purchasing this iMac at Best Buy in 2011, and then only for a few minutes just to see what it is. As far as I know, it had never been on since then. I say "as far as I know" because now I realize my cat may wish to tell a different story.

Again, thank you both.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @Nick

Not the best place - I'll keep it brief. The email informing me that there was a further post to this thread brought up an Error 404; Page Not Found.

I wrote to the "Forum Team" about this happening regularly, yesterday and it still is. No criticism, just FYI.

Kind regards, Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanmaine View Post
    pigoo3: Wow! I have to tell you, my wife and I bust a gut reading your question. The answer, as you undoubtedly expect, is yes, we do have a cat, a seven year-old Birman, which, as I am guessing will not surprise you, walks across my keyboard at least once a day, sometimes several times a day, and sometimes even sleeps stretched out across the keyboard. And, yes, as she does all of those things, she presses keys, which affects what's on the screen, and my blood pressure.

So, could the cat have opened FaceTime? Again, I am guessing your thought is, yes.
    Ha ha...great to hear you have a cat!

Definitely a possibility that if your cat walked or laid across the keyboard...or bumped/clicked your iMac's mouse (while you weren't looking) it could have triggered Facetime. We definitely have had members over the years perplexed how strange inexplicable things happened with their computers. And a pretty darn high proportion of these members had cat's...and many times we came to the conclusion that the cat very probably was the perpetrator of the issue. Lol

Believe it or not...these sort of forum conversations can go on for pages & pages...and days & days...with all sorts of great suggestions & possibilities offered as the source of the issue. Then (totally accidentially) we find out that the member with the issue has a cat (or multiple cat's)...and then we go A-HA...it was the cat!!!

Many items on our Mac's have 2 or 3 keyboard key combo equivalents to launch them or change settings...and those 4 little cat-paws seem to occasionally find the right key combo sometimes. Or...since apps are located on the Desktop Dock area...all a cat needs to do is bump the mouse just right & click...and they accidentially launch an app (such as Facetime in this case).

I'm betting it was the cat.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    I'm betting it was the cat.
    Looking for a mouse:

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Looking for a mouse:
    Hopefully not a "plastic" mouse!

- Nick

Thread Information