Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I just thought I knew what was causing it - opened a file in a folder on my desktop, then launched Acrobat pro 9, selected
    File > Combine > Merfe Files into a single pdf

That caused the open window with the file to disappear to the left.
    Tried that a second time - same problem
    Tried it a third time - NO problem
    Tried it a fourth time - NO problem again

I'm thinking if the problem really relates to Acrobat, then the position of the open window makes a difference.

As to "Command+Z" - I will try that next time I have the problem, but same as for you - this happens rather infrequently for, at least so far, no apparent reason.

Open Window moves sideways off screen - how to get it back?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I think you are running into Spaces, which came in Lion. Here is a pretty good article on it: https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Spaces-on-Mac-OS-X

And this is Apple's documentation on Spaces: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204100

Basically, it's different desktops, which on a trackpad are seen with a three-finger swipe up. Without a trackpad it's the F3 key. And if you have multiple Spaces, the movement between them is also a trackpad movement, but without the trackpad the only option is the F3 key and then click on the space you want.

When some apps open, if the option to Open on a certain desktop is selected, the system will shift to that desktop. You can see this setting by right clicking on the icon on the Dock, then Options and look at the Assign to section. Also, in System Preferences, under Mission Control, there is a set of options for how spaces are used. You can experiment with the settings to see if you can make the problem go away.
    Jake

Thanks Jake,

I think you're right - I'm somehow into "Spaces" but I still don't know how I get there in the first place.
    Seems "Spaces" in El Camino still has a few bugs.....

The Apple documentation states:
    Use any of these methods to open Mission Control:

Swipe up with three or four fingers on your Multi-Touch trackpad or Magic Trackpad.
    Double-tap the surface of your Magic Mouse with two fingers.
    Click Mission Control in the Dock or Launchpad.
    Press the Mission Control key on your Apple keyboard, or press Control–Up Arrow.
    In OS X El Capitan, drag a window to the top of the screen.

Mission Control shows the Spaces bar at the top of the screen, and below it all of the windows that are open on your desktop.
    The touchbar or Magic Mouse options obviously don't apply to me, but only the "F3" key option works to access Mission Control and thus spaces
    The "control + up arrow" does nothing and "dragging a window to the top of the screen doesn't do anything either.

Hoever, "control + right arrow" and "control + left arrow" do show me the two other desktops.
    Seems like those two are defaults - the one on the left is the Dashboard, the one on the right is the desktop by itself (with no other open window)
    So this "control + right arrow/left arrow" might let me recover when this happens again.
    But I will try Patrick's suggestion as well.

PS: People on line complain that they have this problem - desktop disappearing to right or left, with Snow Leopard as well even though this feature was only introduced with Lion.
    I ran Snow Leopard on a half dozen different types of Macs for several years - never saw that problem.

Your Mac's Specs
    Yep, you would not see it in SL. It was introduced in Lion, I think. Don't remember what was before that. (Long time ago, brain cells got recycled.)

The desktop to the right can be used for an application, if you want. It's particularly useful if you run apps full screen--open on on the left desktop, one on the right and move back and forth between them.
    Jake

This issue just reared its ugly head again.

I don't think this is exactly Mission Control.
    Mission Control will show all the different desktops on the screen and then one can select the one one wishes to work with.

What I get is the desktop with a window suddenly moving to the left for no apparent reason.

What I was doing is combining a dozen pdf files into a single pdf file.
    So I had the folder "X" open with the various pdf files in it that I wanted to combine
    I then opened the Acrobat window where one drags the pdf files one wishes to combine and when I dragged the first pdf file from folder "X" to the Acrobat window, that window disappeared to the left off screen.
    So now I have one desktop with folder "X" open and a different desktop (same desktop items) but with the Acrobat window open.

I can move from on desktop to the other using ctr and the arrow keys, if I hit the ctr & left arrow one more time I get to the dashboard.
    I can move between dashboard and the two desktops till the cows come home, but none of the suggestions posted here wil get the two open windows back on the same desktop.

Then I looked for an option to turn Mission Control off if that is really causing the problem, but I found no such option in Mission Control preferences.

BTW - I'm running El Camino on a late 2012 Mini.

Any suggestions what i causing this and how to turn off whatever....

Your Mac's Specs
    If you right click on the icon on the Dock for Acrobat, then "Options" is there any option there to select which desktop holds the program? Another option is to eliminate the second desktop and have just one. Then all windows have to be open in that one desktop.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    If you right click on the icon on the Dock for Acrobat, then "Options" is there any option there to select which desktop holds the program?
    There are three options there:
    Assign to
    All Desktops
    This Desktop
    None

None has a check-mark

I should note that this issue only happens occasionally - last time it happened was when I started this thread
    It almost seems to me it only happens if I use the Mini with a small 17-inch monitor - it's almost as if the Mac decided the screen in't big enough to have two windows open
    I also do this operation fairly regularly - maybe two or three times a week, but mostly on the 24 inch monitor
    And I also just repeated that operation, combining pdfs by dragging them from folder "X" to the Acrobat window - this time wice as many pdfs and there was no problem.
    Another option is to eliminate the second desktop and have just one. Then all windows have to be open in that one desktop.
    How would one do that?
    I don't remember ever having set up a second desktop.

PS: The 17 inch and 24 inch monitors are at different locations, so when I travel from one to the other I just take the Mini with me - each location is set up with a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Your Mac's Specs
    I'm on Mojave, but I think the trick is the same. On the trackpad, swipe up with four fingers. At the top of the screen you should see a list of the desktops you have currently available. If you move the mouse cursor to the bar, the text is replaced by little icons and if you hover over the icon, an "X" appears to delete that desktop. I think it was that way a bit ago, but El Cap was a long time ago and I just don't remember.
    Jake

I'm using a Mini with a mouse - no trackpad or four finger swipe.

But I will look to see if I can find how many desktops I have - I always thought I just had one

Got it!

Opened Mission Control in Application - it showed two desktops plus the dashboard
    Selected the second desktop and held down the Option key.
    "x" showed - click and second desktop disappeared.

Many thanks!!!

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I figured that just about the time I found the list of relevant keyboard shortcuts someone would find the answer. Kudos.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I'm using a Mini with a mouse - no trackpad or four finger swipe.

But I will look to see if I can find how many desktops I have - I always thought I just had one
    Is it a Magic Mouse? This happens to me occasionally, when certain fingers swipe on the surface of the mouse. And I can't figure out what setting affects it.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

No, I use a Logitech MX510 - best mouse I ever had
    It has two extra buttons on the side, but they are not set up to do anything

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    No, I use a Logitech MX510 - best mouse I ever had
    It has two extra buttons on the side, but they are not set up to do anything

FWIW: I use the different Logitech M705 Mouse which I find to be really great and I ended up using the Logitech Control Center for Macintosh OS X preference pane to remap it's "hidden" 8th button to close window ( Keystroke > command+W) which saves a lot of surplus mousing or keyboard keystrokes.

There are probably others that you might enjoy even better where a simple mouse button press can accomplish the task.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information