Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    How to turn off a feature (flaw) in Sierra Mac OS 10.12.6

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac Sierra Mac OS 10.12.6
    Hi,

I've just got this iMac, using Sierra 10.12.6 and I'm upgrading from a much older Mac so there's a lot of new features to get used to and master that weren't present on my old computer.

One thing that I'm having trouble with is if I move my cursor quickly to the right, the current page disappears, also to the right and I'm left with another (or maybe, previous) page which I don't want. I don't know how to get the page I was reading or working on back, very frustrating. How can I 1) disable this feature, or 2) learn how to recover my page that disappeared to the right?

Seems to like a flaw but some might think of it as a feature, I'm sure. At this point, I can't imagine a use for this (not so great) idea.

Thanks,

Bob M.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    You need to tell us if you're using a magic mouse, trackpad, or another type of mouse. It sounds like you're invoking gestures with your device (mouse, trackpad). If that's the case, open system preferences, click on mouse or trackpad (whichever you have) and adjust or remove the gestures.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Does it only happen when using a browser? Or does it happen with full screen apps also? It sounds like you are "swiping", which is in the settings chscag referred you to above.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    @Bob M.

This is merely an illustration to go with the sound advice already given. It is for the Mouse and I don't have a Track Pad, but I'm guessing the settings are very similar.

Go into System Preferences (one way is clicking on the Apple icon, top menu bar, far left , choose the second option from the drop down menu).

In System Preferences, click on "Mouse", and then click on "More Gestures". Below is what you will see. I suspect that the problem is the the first choice (red arrow). If the box is ticked, untick it.

The other possibility is shown by the yellow arrow. Less likely, but possible. You may wish to uncheck that box too. Experiment with each.

S1.jpg

Ian
    Ian

I believe Ian has your likely issue pinpointed, but that shouldn't be an issue with normal mouse usage (i.e. your fingers should be stationary on the top of the mouse as you move it, not swiping). It's not a flaw.
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Seems to like a flaw but some might think of it as a feature, I'm sure. At this point, I can't imagine a use for this (not so great) idea.

Maybe try using a non-Apple mouse if that's what you're using, like a Logitech model or similar.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OS X.14.6 Mojave,
    Whenever get a second hand machine, first step is erase and format the hard drive, install a clean operating system and set it up thew way you want it. Download a new OS using your Apple ID from the App Store. Would suggest Mojave or High Sierra but you have not included model details of the iMac.l
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks for your posts, suggestions and answers,
    I'm sorry I neglected to say that I'm using a trackpad, the one normally comes from Apple for this iMac computer.
    I did go to System Preferences, to Trackpad and to More Gestures and these new behaviors present on my computer are sufficiently explained there and also I'm able to turn on or off the ones I want to use and the ones I don't want to use. (Wish these machines came with an owner's manual so I could look it up myself.)

Thanks again,

Bob M.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    They do have a manual. It's online at Apple.com. Click the spyglass at the top and enter any search term in the box and it opens the stuff from Apple. For example: I searched for Trackpad and this was the third article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204895
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Glad it worked out okay for you. Long gone are the days when owner's manuals were included with a new computer. Nowadays, no one supplies manuals except maybe auto makers and even then they leave a lot out. However, you can go on line like Jake advised and find most everything you need.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I don't know about that Charlie. I just bought my wife a new Highlander and there were 3 manuals for it. Over 800 pages in all. Overload, frankly, for a car. But it's in the glovebox for when anything happens...
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Yes, my new Subaru Outback has a manual that makes War and Peace look like a pamphlet. AND, it has everything in it. I think the online stuff from Apple has many, but not all things. They cover the most usual problems. At least, that's my experience. If it's a tough or strange problem/behavior, I haven't been able find answers there.

Bob M.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    If you look in “About This Mac”, click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner, then select About This Mac, when the window pops up, select Support, all the info you want is right there.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac: 27”, 3.4 GHz, 16Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone5s
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    I don't know about that Charlie. I just bought my wife a new Highlander and there were 3 manuals for it. Over 800 pages in all. Overload, frankly, for a car. But it's in the glovebox for when anything happens...
    Same issue with my BMW X1. The manual assumes that you have every single possible option but doesn't tell you they are options. Spent ages looking for the Fire Extinguiser which the manual states quite categorically is under the passenger seat. Oh no it isn't. Little pantomime reference there for UK readers
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Long gone are the days when owner's manuals were included with a new computer.

Didn't Apple actually get some award for producing what became or known by the Guinness Book of Records for the smallest manual ever produced that came with one of their Mac models years ago???

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information