Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

password not working in terminal
    Hello, I am having some issues in terminal not accepting my password. I am unable to use my DoD CAC card on my mac. It was working good, until I updated my mac to High Sierra 10.13.6 and now I cannot use it. From reading some forums on the issue, I am supposed to run the following prompt in terminal
    sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.smartcard DisabledTokens -array
    com.apple.CryptoTokenKit.pivtoken
    Once I enter that in terminal it asks for a password. I am logged in as an administrator and I am putting my password in, but it keeps telling me sorry try again. I changed my password several times to see if that was the issue and no luck. I also created a second administrator account and tried it, all with no luck. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do or what to look at for trying to fix this? Any help would be appriciated.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    When using terminal, and you enter your password, the cursor does not move, you have to be sure to enter the password properly, then press enter/return.

It sounds like this is not the first admin account created on that Mac. You may have to erase the drive, to get back root privileges?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

It sounds like this is not the first admin account created on that Mac. You may have to erase the drive, to get back root privileges?

WOWCH!!! That sounds like a rather drastic solution!!

Just saying...

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Is the response literally, "Sorry, try again?" If not, what is the exact error message you are seeing? Terminal is pretty finicky about typing in things like that. And in your command string I see some spaces that could be in the incorrect place, or that would need to be addressed if they are actually spaces in the name and not spaces between commands and parameters or modifiers.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I don't think he can run that command from terminal while the system is up and running which may be why he's getting a password denial.

OP: Try booting to Recovery, enter utilities, select terminal and run the command again. Let us know if that works.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do or what to look at for trying to fix this? Any help would be appriciated.

Aside from Terminal and the Admin password not working, why is that command even being used as it seems opposite as to what the OP is attempting to do and seems awfully similar to the Terminal command suggested here:
    How do I disable the built-in Smart Card support in macOS Sierra?
    https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/63476

That seems to be backward to what the problem is. Or am I misunderstanding something???
    I am unable to use my DoD CAC card on my mac. It was working good, until I updated my mac to High Sierra 10.13.6 and now I cannot use it. From reading some forums on the issue, I am supposed to run the following prompt in terminal

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information