Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

I don't trust bluetooth too much. here is one reason why.
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 Retina 4k iMac. High Sierra. 8GB Ram
    Blog Entries
    I live in an apartment. someone is trying to pair their cell phone to my mac. is their a way to stop this? I did pick "ignore this device" so I hope that means they cant try again? I just dont trust bluetooth personally. Im only using it because my new imac has wireless keyboard an mouse.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Do you have any Bluetooth devices of yours nearby that might be attempting to pair with the iMac? Bluetooth devices have a range of about 35 feet or so at best. Walls and other things in betweeen will reduce that range so whatever this is is very close by.

BTW you can use a wired usb keyboard and mouse with that Mac but deepending upon how many usb devices you have you may need a hub. I prefer the Apple wired keybosrds but any decent usb keyboard and mouse will work.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Bluetooth is a peer to peer network creating interface whereby devices are specifically paired upon request. When Bluetooth is enabled on a Mac, it is always on to be able to connect to previously paired devices or pair new devices. If a new device was being paired that you didn't initiate, you're being given a chance to cancel out once or forever ignore that device. That means that ignored device will never be able to connect to your Mac again.

If anything, that should bolster your confidence in the technology since steps have been put in place to put you in the driver seat of how devices can connect to your Mac.

Second, Bluetooth is broken into many different types of profiles that have very narrow use cases. Keyboards/mice use the HID profile. Headphones use the handsfree audio profile.

A lay person would never know the various components that make up Bluetooth, and UNLIKE WiFi, just having Bluetooth doesn't mean you can do a LOT of things with it.

Learn about technologies before making abrupt decisions about them. AND if you truly mistrust a technology, then make no exceptions and turn it off.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Mojave; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    Unlikely to have been deliberate or sinister. If someone is searching for a bluetooth device, any within range (typically up to 30ft) will be found: they automatically detect and connect to one another. It's up to you to refuse. Think about how many broadband suppliers come up when you look for an internet connection.

Loads of info here: https://www.explainthatstuff.com/howbluetoothworks.html
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Your Mac's Specs
    2015 Retina 4k iMac. High Sierra. 8GB Ram
    Blog Entries
    I have another imac but bluetooth is turned off. its also off on my smart phone. thanks for the replies.

Thread Information