Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Viability of Trim Enabler...
    I just bought a new SSD and installing a fresh OSX onto it and wondering if I need or should install Trim Enabler? Some stuff I read online says that you don't need it with an SSD, other articles says yes, wondering what your thoughts were on this?

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OS X.14.6 Mojave,
    Depends on the SSD.

Go into Apple System Profiler (About this Mac) > System Report > SATA/SATA Express >Apple SSD (or other brand) > TRIM support > and see if it says yes. If not, you can make your own mind up if it is worth the money.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

I just bought a new SSD and installing a fresh OSX onto it and wondering if I need or should install Trim Enabler?

You haven't provided any details so I'd suggest you just use a google search ie:
    mac trim enabler
    https://www.google.com/search?q=mac+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

That should get you lots of hits that match your situation that you could checkout, like this:
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/installi...-trim-mistake/

Your "System Information" should let you know the current status as the URP above will show.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    I believe it has more to do with the version of Mac OS X/OS X installed on your Mac. The last 3 or 4 (or more) versions support it.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Wrong forum, question is not about Windows. Might be better in the right forum?
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    His question was answered in MacRumors.

And please post to the correct forum. Trim Enabler has nothing to do with running Windows. Thanks.

I was looking for this thread, I guess it was moved, I didn't know if I had the right category or not:/ I'm using Snow Leopard (2011 MBP) on one computer and Mountain Lion (2011 MBA) on the other both fresh installs yesterday and no other programs uploaded to it yet. My question wasn't answered on MacRumors, I've gotten zero usable information from there so far.

Quote Originally Posted by BondAMR View Post
    I was looking for this thread, I guess it was moved, I didn't know if I had the right category or not:/ I'm using Snow Leopard (2011 MBP) on one computer and Mountain Lion (2011 MBA) on the other both fresh installs yesterday and no other programs uploaded to it yet. My question wasn't answered on MacRumors, I've gotten zero usable information from there so far.
    It's a very difficult question to answer because it depends on the version of the Mac OS you are running, and the make and model of your SSD. There are a number of possible answers and a lot of confusion because things are different for each SSD you might purchase. (I wrote an article on the lifespan of SSD's and it was a quagmire trying to figure out what SSD's needed what sort of TRIM.)

The short answer is YES, every SSD needs some sort of TRIM running. TRIM will drastically increase the lifespan of your SSD.

However, some SSD's use the Mac's built-in TRIM (assuming that you are using a version of the Mac OS that offers TRIM at all, and no, not all versions of the Mac OS do: while other versions of the Mac OS only offer TRIM compatible with certain SSD's), others require a third-party TRIM, and still others provide TRIM through firmware.

You didn't say which SSD you have. I could ask you which you have, and find out from the manufacturer's Web site and/or the vendor's Web site and tell you which sort of TRIM your SSD requires with your version of the Mac OS. (Actually, you probably should have found this out prior to purchasing an SSD.) But you can do that legwork just as easily as I can. If neither the manufacturer or the company you purchased your SSD from are helpful, come back here and let me know what they had to say, and I'd be happy to get to the bottom of it for you.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    My question wasn't answered on MacRumors, I've gotten zero usable information from there so far.
    Perhaps you missed it. Several good answers were given to you and also a terminal command was suggested which you could use. None of that worked for you?

Your Mac's Specs
    For those early versions of Mac OS X, I used Trim Enabler, https://cindori.org/trimenabler/#versions.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    For those early versions of Mac OS X, I used Trim Enabler.
    Hey Bob and Others - now I understand TRIM on SSDs and know that the feature is active on my two Mac laptops, but wondering whether it is needed on external SSDs (have several at the moment) and how to test and/or enable - the app mentioned above is in a 4th edition (below from their Website) - my question is do I need this app (cost is $15) - is it safe - the website is out of Sweden - do external SSDs need evaluation - and any other thoughts - please comment - Dave
    Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 8.44.21 PM.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Your Mac's Specs
    @RadDave, as Harry said in post #2, System Profiler will be able to tell you, if trim is enabled on those external drives, provided you are using a later version of OS X/macOS.

I believe, with Mac OS X Lion and Mountain Lion, maybe Mavericks and Yosemite too, trim is not enabled.

I used it when it was needed, but then Apple added that ability back into OS X/macOS, so it really depends on the version of the OS you are using.
    -- Bob --

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Bob,

I'm running macOS High Sierra and following Harry's advice, I can easily find info on my iMac's Internal HD which is an SSD; but an EHD I use for CCC, also an SSD, is NOT shown although permanently mounted and visible in Disk Utility.

So I'm wondering if SSD externals can be viewed in the same way as an Internal SSD? Or is this only available in macOS Mojave?

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Ian, I don't have an external SSD to test with. But if you look in System Profiler, then select how the external drive is connected, either Thunderbolt or USB.

I did just find this old question on Tom's Hardware, TRIM on external SSD - Storage - Tom's Hardware, from 2015. It explains that Trim is a SATA command, and not used on external drives at that time.
    -- Bob --

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Hi Bob

That was a great tip. I looked under USB and Thunderbolt. As it so happens, my External SSD is connected to a mains powered Thunderbolt 2 Dock (from OWC). It recognised the Dock and all its data stuff; but not the SSD.

I suspect that if I unmount the SSD and remount directly into the iMac, then I think I'll get some data about the SSD.

Don't want to do that right now, but will do so after the next scheduled CCC backup. Then report back.

Thanks for that very helpful tip.

Ian
    Ian

Thread Information