Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Some apps not installing on Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    For years I have used Vuze for the little I download torrents. Well on the newer iMac with Mojave I had not installed Vuze so tried and downloaded it 3 times and get an error when clicking on the DMG. Did a google search and it's something in Mojave with security rejecting the DMG file of Vuze installer! Mojave is saying the DMG is corrupt and offers to move it to the trash. In my searching for a solution I found others having trouble with different Applications besides Vuze.

Found a terminal command and it now opens the DMG and installs, but that command disables Gatekeeper security. After the application installs you can re-enable the command to enable Gatekeeper. Apple took out the setting in Privacy and general to allow all apps.

Thought I would post this in case others are getting an error opening DMGs for other applications.

This will enable the application to be installed.

sudo spctl --master-disable

After the install you can turn Gatekeeper back on with this command:

sudo spctl --master-enable

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Thanks Dennis. I hadn't run into that yet but I'll file this away for future use.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

How to open apps from unidentified developers on macOS Sierra [and probably later]...

https://www.imore.com/how-open-apps-...developers-mac

And many other sites...

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Good info Dennis. There are still apps out there that many of us use or would like to use but are not from an identified developer or the App Store.

We do need to make sure that we turn Gatekeeper back on after installing the app.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Good info Dennis. There are still apps out there that many of us use or would like to use but are not from an identified developer or the App Store.

We do need to make sure that we turn Gatekeeper back on after installing the app.
    Agree 100%. I just wish that apple did not take away that one option in privacy but at least there is a way around it.

Apple will do that for you, which used to be after 30 days, not sure if the time limit has changed or not, ie:

On OS X 10.10.x and later, disabling Gatekeeper does not mean it is permanently off. After a set amount of time (currently 30 days), Gatekeeper will automatically re-enable itself with the Allow apps downloaded from: Mac App Store and identified developers setting.
    https://derflounder.wordpress.com/20...ite-and-later/

EDIT:
    Unless a user has completely disabled the feature: NOT RECOMMENDED
    How to Prevent Gatekeeper Turning Back On Automatically in Mac OS X
    How to Prevent Gatekeeper Turning Back On Automatically in Mac OS X

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 12-22-2018 at 04:08 PM.

If occasional torrent downloading is all you use it for, why not try uTorrent or Transmission?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    If occasional torrent downloading is all you use it for, why not try uTorrent or Transmission?

Sorry I do not like either of them interface wise and in the past I got much slower download speeds. opened every port in the router relating to them. I prefer Vuze and should be able to use it or any other software apple does not approve.

Also like I said above there are others having the same issue with other apps they love and can no longer install. It's not just Vuze.
    Last edited by dtravis7; 12-22-2018 at 04:54 PM.

Rocky97

Yes, it is possible to open system preferences, click security and privacy, then click " open anyway" EVERY time an app from an unknown/unapproved dev is downloaded. Is it possible to permenantly change these settings I wonder? Pretty inconvenient.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky97 View Post
    Yes, it is possible to open system preferences, click security and privacy, then click " open anyway" EVERY time an app from an unknown/unapproved dev is downloaded. Is it possible to permenantly change these settings I wonder? Pretty inconvenient.
    Mojave took out the one option that let you open anything. That is why we have to use the terminal command.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky97 View Post
    Even with some approved apps such as Carbon Copy Cloner, you additionally have to open System Preferences, Security and Privacy, then click on the Privacy tab and enter the app so that it can have full access. Of course you also have to enter your Admin password to open the small lock at the bottom of the dialog first before you can enter anything or make changes.

Rocky97
    Even with some approved apps such as Carbon Copy Cloner, you additionally have to open System Preferences, Security and Privacy, then click on the Privacy tab and enter the app so that it can have full access. Of course you also have to enter your Admin password to open the small lock at the bottom of the dialog first before you can enter anything or make changes.
    Thing is there are only 2 options:
    1) only app store
    2) Identifier developers and app store

No third option of any app?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Mojave took out the one option that let you open anything. That is why we have to use the terminal command.
    I take it that Mojave is the latest version of OS X? Would you recommend I upgrade?

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Rocky97, there used to be a third option of "Anywhere" but Apple removed that recently (I think in HS). The removal of that third option is what drives the requirement to use the Terminal commands. Apple is recognizing the increasing presence of malware and poorly written software in the macOS universe and trying to prevent it from being installed by naive users. Veterans and more savvy users don't like the approach, or need it as much. But I suspect that Apple is driven by help desk expenses trying to help folks who get bitten by crappy software from unidentified developers and want to avoid having to go the Microsoft way of, "Reformat the drive, reinstall the operating system, don't restore from any infected backup," as the only solution offered. And by restricting what can be installed, they are looking to be the guardian. Some, as I said, don't like it. They prefer the wild, wild, West of the "good ol' days" when you could do whatever you wanted.
    Jake

Rocky97
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Rocky97, there used to be a third option of "Anywhere" but Apple removed that recently (I think in HS). The removal of that third option is what drives the requirement to use the Terminal commands. Apple is recognizing the increasing presence of malware and poorly written software in the macOS universe and trying to prevent it from being installed by naive users. Veterans and more savvy users don't like the approach, or need it as much. But I suspect that Apple is driven by help desk expenses trying to help folks who get bitten by crappy software from unidentified developers and want to avoid having to go the Microsoft way of, "Reformat the drive, reinstall the operating system, don't restore from any infected backup," as the only solution offered. And by restricting what can be installed, they are looking to be the guardian. Some, as I said, don't like it. They prefer the wild, wild, West of the "good ol' days" when you could do whatever you wanted.
    I am using Sierra. Whilst I can manually open files through system preferences for EVERY time an unidentified app is installed, i do not see such an option.
    Is mojave the latest OS X version?

Edit: Sorry, got confused. Just opened the link to read it's sierra and above. I managed to "anywhere" it now.

TBH I'm not sure the purpose of Apple doing this other than to inconvenience users.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Yes, Mojave is the most recent release. I thought they took out Everywhere in High Sierra, but it may have been Sierra. It's been a while.
    Jake

Thread Information