Bigger control line type
    I've got a Mac Mini, run onto a Dell 24" screen, which is quite adequate for my needs.

I use the option/Scaled system on Display Preferences to give me the bigger range of screen sizes, but I can't overcome one problem.

I need a certain configuration (2048x1152) in order to get the whole of a Photoshop page onto the screen, otherwise it chops the bottom off. Trouble is, with that set-up my control-line type drops in size from a healthy 14pt (ish) to a squinty 9pt (guessed), and Mail also drops down in size.

At present, I leave the screen on 1600x900 for general running, then switch to the 2048 for Photoshop sessions.

Is there some trick that I'm missing to get full-screen on (e.g.) Photoshop, and retain type big enough for rapidly fading old eyesight? Would a different size screen make any difference (i.e. one about two inches deeper!)

Ta.

Allen.

Bigger control line type
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Allen the fonts are usually also set in pixels, so when you put more pixels on the screen the font gets smaller. That's how it works. As for tricks, maybe somebody has a hack for that, but I have one question for you about the Photoshop issue, which is, "Why not just zoom the image to fit the screen?" Photoshop will allow you to zoom to fit the entire image on the screen, and at 24" you would be able to see a lot of detail at that zoom level.

As for a bigger screen, let's look at the math. You change from 1600 to 2048, or 448 pixels. That is an expansion of about 28%. So, to expand from a 24" screen you would need to move up to about a 30-31 inch monitor with 2048X1152 capacity. That's huge. But if you are serious about picture editing, maybe it makes sense. But then again, if you were serious about picture editing you wouldn't be on a Mini, so maybe not. It's up to you.
    Jake

Bigger control line type
    But if you are serious about picture editing, maybe it makes sense. But then again, if you were serious about picture editing you wouldn't be on a Mini, so maybe not. It's up to you.
    clap.gif

Maybe take the mini to a monitor display store where they should let you tryout some different displays. Even a popular 27" may work for you.

- Patrick
    ======

I played, and found a work-round.

At the bottom of the Photoshop page is a grey bar with a series of 'action' buttons (Photobin, Tool Options, etc., finishing at the right hand side with 'More'.

In my preferred display size, I couldn't see THESE buttons. The work-round has been to set the machine to a wrong setting (2560x1440), launch Photoshop, and then grab the bottom right hand corner and drag it up and in, making the display much smaller. Then revert to a 'proper' display, i.e. 1600x900, and the reduced down Photoshop stays 'whole' on the screen.

Then the control line type, etc., reverts to its normal 'big' size (big enough for older eyes anyway).

Allen.

Bigger control line type
    I played, and found a work-round.

If one had to do such a work-around more than just a few time, it would sure get fast for me pretty fast and I'd be looking at different display monitors to use unless your "fix" is a standard method these days.

Anyway, up to you I guess.

PS: Have you looked in your Accessibility < System Preferences for any display options you could possibly use???

- Patrick
    ======

It’s only a one-time adjustment. Having set up Photoshop that way, the next time I open it, it comes up the same again.

Accessibility and I are old friends. This was just a bit of ignorance rather than eyesight...

Bigger control line type
    Quote Originally Posted by allen-uk View Post
    It’s only a one-time adjustment. Having set up Photoshop that way, the next time I open it, it comes up the same again.

Accessibility and I are old friends. This was just a bit of ignorance rather than eyesight...

OK.

Thanks for the update info.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information